What to do when you don't know what to do when your trying to play drums?

Hey guys

Lately I feel I've had nothing to play on drums at all, like even when I'm improvising solo's with rudiments and stuff, messing about with tunings etc.
I just don't know what to do when I'm playing drums anymore. Any suggestions?

What do you guys do? What are some good tracks to play to (for a single pedal player)?

Whenever I'm stuck for motivation I'll track down one of the top drummers in my city and get a lesson with them. That's usually enough motivation.

Go see a band. That always works.

Of just sit down in front of youtube with a practice pad and sticks. Pick a drummer, and look up as many videos as you can by them (their bands, clinic appearances, whatever).

^this. You'll be too busy to get bored. Join two if you really want some excitement.

Already in 3 haha. I'm kinda just improvising, picking up the guitar after recording and then messing about. getting funner I guess, it's just lack of songs to play anymore really and I get bored really easily

I ended up going through this. I joined my school's band. I learned about Marching Band and ended up joining it halfway through. I'm going to be honest. Joining a band is one of the greatest motivational tools to getting better. Whether it be a high school band or a band with some buddies.

But in the meanwhile you can always practice something. Look up some linear drumming or jazz styles of drumming and try to learn to play in a different style.

You can get into some of the drummerless tracks that have been posted on this board.

Are you saying that you don't know what to play when playing alone, or with a band??

Lessons? Or wait for the dull spot to blow over? We can't be inspired all the time.

The grafting periods are when you're laying groundwork for improvement. My playing gets lame when I'm trying to improve but that lays the groundwork for the times I'm playing by feel.

Find a muse.

Thought this thread was going to be about what do you do if it happens in the middle of a song, my answer to that is usually buzz rolls or a 4/4 ride/snare beat.

Thought this thread was going to be about what do you do if it happens in the middle of a song, my answer to that is usually buzz rolls or a 4/4 ride/snare beat.

I thought the same thing at first. My answer would have been to try to really get the groove happening - to dive deeper. One day I'll remember to take my own advice.

Take dance lessons ( no I'm not kidding )

You'll use your body is new and very different ways.

That will then translate over into your playing.

Plus, chicks dig it ;)

^this. You'll be too busy to get bored. Join two if you really want some excitement.

I could not agree more.

I started playing OUTSIDE of my comfort zone genre, and had to learn more slow rock and blues types of music.

It then led to me picking up two steady "leisurely" types of gigs a week, that are paying pretty decently.

Ya never know!

Yeah? Are they actually doing anything? Man, learning material for three bands should be more than enough to keep you occupied. How can you possibly be at a loose end when it comes to something to play?

Which was my point. If you're in three bands and you're still bored, you need to re-evaluate at least one of those bands, if not all three. Go put yourself in some sort of crazy, out-of-the-box, not-your-style playing situation. I'm famous (possibly infamous) for lunging at windmills in this fashion:

- pit drummer for musicals
- pickup gigs ("hey, our drummer is so sick he can't play tonight")
- open mic nights
- playing with people or bands that play something you normally don't (blues, latin, country, etc)

This will jumpstart your idea engine, guaranteed. I know I have way more to do and learn on the drums than I have time in the day, following this plan.

Things aren't boring, people are. Boredom is not an external thing, it is an internal attitude. Maybe you need a little gratitude for what you have. Lose your drums in a fire and when you get new ones, tell me you're still bored.

It's better to want what you have, than to have what you want.

Yeah? Are they actually doing anything? Man, learning material for three bands should be more than enough to keep you occupied. How can you possibly be at a loose end when it comes to something to play?

One of my bands we never get a responce from the bassist so at the moment as bassistless and the other band we've just finished a gig so we'll be practicing soon. The other band is a school jazz band which hasn't been on for 4 months. My dad also cancelled drum lessons and I never get to learn anything new, so I'm kind of just improvising drum beats in different time sigs at the moment and using different techniques. But that's all I really have and when I just want to play something I have nothing to do on drums, not many song suggestions or anything.

No wonder you're bored.....your three bands are hardly productive are they?

Your answer is simple......get serious about it all. Join a band that is actually working towards something. You could be in a dozen bands, but if none of them are rehearsing, learning new material, trying to get gigs....then you may as well not be in any.

When I suggested joining a band, I didn't mean bands that aren't actually doing anything.....what's the value in that?

Go forth and PLAY, my friend.

But that's all I really have and when I just want to play something I have nothing to do on drums, not many song suggestions or anything.

I have no song suggestions for you as I don't have the first clue what sort of music you like. Surely you can figure this one out though? What songs do you want to learn? What have you always wanted to play but currently can't? Learn that one.....then move on to the next one and so on and so on.

There's a world full of music out there mate, I'm sure some of it appeals to you......start there. :)

Last edited:
Back