Cleaning Rusty Chrome with Water and Foil

This is possibly the oldest question ever: "How do I get rust off my chrome?" Yes Coke will do it, but it contains phosphoric acid. This is a corrosive that eats the rust. Do you really want to pour an acidic solution over your prized COB? I see no reason why when you can do it with water.

Here is why it works, so I don't have to explain: http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

Video, so it did (and still does) happen: http://youtu.be/1WDC1Ct9px4

Sorry about the quality of the video, I only have the camera on my laptop at this time, and it sucks.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try it.

Vinegar, like Coke, is acidic. Same with lemon juice. It eats the rust. Why anyone would want to put something acidic on a drum is beyond me. Especially something collectable, like a Dynasonic or Supraphonic.

The water method is very fast, requires no soaking, and is non-acidic.

I guess we'll just have to agree...to disagree.I've tried both methods,and after 35 or so years,myself and most drum restorers,like Jack Lawton and John Aldridge and John Velez, still use coke and foil.

Steve B

I guess we'll just have to agree...to disagree.I've tried both methods,and after 35 or so years,myself and most drum restorers,like Jack Lawton and John Aldridge and John Velez, still use coke and foil.

Steve B

I don't question that the coke method works, but there seems to be some doubt about the water method, which is why I made the video. I'm not really too big on using cleaners or abrasives if I don' have to.

I would simply have it re-plated at a local plating company. Problem solved and you keep the original equipment.

I can relate to white vinegar and foil, a chemical reaction, so it eats the rust. To get rid of light pitting on a shell or a hoop I dont see a problem as long as you rinse the vinegar off once its done its work.
How would water and foil work, is it the reaction of the added chemicals with the foil?

I can relate to white vinegar and foil, a chemical reaction, so it eats the rust. To get rid of light pitting on a shell or a hoop I dont see a problem as long as you rinse the vinegar off once its done its work.
How would water and foil work, is it the reaction of the added chemicals with the foil?

The link in the first post explains everything.

Haven't tried any of those methods.. but I did have a problem once with a DYnasonic that I had to leave in a warehouse next to a plastics shop.. and a combination of dust and dampness from a concrete floor started eating all the chrome on my old Rogers kit! What worked was:
- moving the kit the He@#! out of there.. and
- rubbing all the chrome parts down with Silvo metal polish. Got rid of the rust spots and seems to have protected it form re-occurring.

Back