I smelled something burning!

Well then, that changes things. LEDs are cool. The things you can do with color changers and all is great. Power distribution is greatly simplified.

But they are expensive.

And the first thing you should be spending money on is the rig you have now. Before your band gets sued, or someone who knows how it's supposed to go sees your rig and calls the local AHJ to shut you down, please get a pro rigger to go over your set up with you and show you what needs to be done to make it safe. If folks didn't know to put safety wires on the cans, I have to wonder how the truss mounting is done, and what kind of lifts are being used. Orange hardware store extension cords? Common shortcuts and they will all come back to bite you hard when some drunk knocks things over and someone gets hurt. But if your rig is to spec, then you've done your due diligence and you're in the clear.

It sucks that musicians get paid so little and then the safety police hold you to the same standards they do to professional theatrical shows, but that's the way it is. And you certainly don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt. Messing up your case was a wake up call. Don't let the next victim be some body.

Sorry for the sermon, but this isn't a game to me. And those of us in the production business get undercut by so many people who don't care with half baked DJ rigs that it's a sore spot. Just like a pro muso dealing with folks who will come in and play for a few beers. Makes it hard to compete. At least with the amateurs that play for beers the worst that can happen is mediocre music. Incorrectly done sound and lighting rigs can start fires, fall on people, and really mess up a lot of folks lives.

Definitely an endorsement for protecting your cymbals with a HARD CASE. The only way to go.

Back