HI-Hat Problem

Funnyman

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem. When ever I play the drums my hi-hat rod keeps going down so there is a huge gap between the top and bottom. And the pedal gets lose. But even when I tighten the the hi-hat it keep happening. I'm barely even pressing down on the pedal and the pedal goes down causing the gap.

Your clutch (the part that holds the top cymbal) is probably broken/worn out. Buy a new one. Make sure that the one you buy will fit your stand's vertical rod (thing that goes through the cymbals).

Clutches can be a bit pricey. A lot like bass drum beaters. So prepare to shell out some dough on a decent clutch.

Please post a picture of the problem area on your hat stand. Is it the clutch that is loosening?
If not, It is probably the stirrup coming loose from the post or the nut at the base where the down rod screws into the pedal chain loosening up.
Locktite thread locker should solve the problem. It can be purchased at any hardware store.
The picture will show the problem so that we can help you solve it.

Last edited:
It's the switch (not sure the real name) the one that goes like into the rod to tighten it, it's loosens. Thus the pedal goes down and loosens as well. So it causes the gap between the hat, because the top cymbal stays where it is. I'll try and get a picture up soon.

if the top cymbal stays where it is, then it can't be the clutch or the rod that's loosening. it sounds like it's the inner tube of the stand that's sliding down into the outer tube. mine has a wing nut for tightening that tube, and i have a memory lock on it so there's no way it can slide down. maybe you can get an aftermarket memory lock for it.

if the top cymbal stays where it is, then it can't be the clutch or the rod that's loosening. it sounds like it's the inner tube of the stand that's sliding down into the outer tube. mine has a wing nut for tightening that tube, and i have a memory lock on it so there's no way it can slide down. maybe you can get an aftermarket memory lock for it.

Yes, that is what has been going on now I took another look at it. Do you know where I can get one of those locks?

Yes, that is what has been going on now I took another look at it. Do you know where I can get one of those locks?

usually memory locks come with the stands. if you don't know what i'm talking about, a memory lock is like a metal ring that goes around the tube and can be tightened with a drum key. it serves two purposes. the main purpose is to lock the tube in place once you get it where you want it so it's always at that height, at least until you loosen it and reset it. the other purpose is to give you some extra protection against the tube sliding down on its own. the tube shouldn't slide down even without the memory lock so that's something else you could look into. i'd check the wingnut screw on the outer tube. it might be stripped or broken in some other way.

as far as finding a memory lock goes, i really don't know how to go about that, other than to conduct an internet search for aftermarket locks. your local drum store or music store might be able to help with that too.

usually memory locks come with the stands. if you don't know what i'm talking about, a memory lock is like a metal ring that goes around the tube and can be tightened with a drum key. it serves two purposes. the main purpose is to lock the tube in place once you get it where you want it so it's always at that height, at least until you loosen it and reset it. the other purpose is to give you some extra protection against the tube sliding down on its own. the tube shouldn't slide down even without the memory lock so that's something else you could look into. i'd check the wingnut screw on the outer tube. it might be stripped or broken in some other way.

as far as finding a memory lock goes, i really don't know how to go about that, other than to conduct an internet search for aftermarket locks. your local drum store or music store might be able to help with that too.

I did take a look at the wing nut, it was oily I cleaned it, it's not sliding as easily. I will go out and look for a memory lock. Thanks for the help

After putting a memory lock on it (it should have come with the stand!), you might also want to examine how hard you are actually pushing down with your foot. If you are putting a lot of your body weight on your pedal and/or pushing down a lot with the muscles in your leg you are wasting a lot of energy, kind of like a new guitar player who pushes down on the strings so tight the muscles of his fingers get very sore after only a few minutes playing. You need to learn to relax a little and only exert as much force is needed.

I always take the time to adjust any new hi-hat stand so that lifting my foot off of the pedal opens the hats an inch or so, just resting my foot on the pedal closes the hats and gives that splashy open hat sound when hit, and then putting a little more weight closes the hats completely for a normal "chick" when hit. I rarely have to actually put any weight on the pedal, and only do so when I need an extra-tight hat sound. This leaves a wide range of sounds available so I can "build" to a crescendo simply by relaxing my foot and letting the sound go from tight to splashy without actually hitting any louder, then a crash and back to the closed hat sound for the next part of the song.

I also have problems with my hit hat top cymbal. Not sliding down. But the clutch seems to move? Idk. The top cymbal loosens itself and the clutch wingnut will go from pointing diagonally away from me to pointing straight at me. Maybe my hi hat rod is unloosening ? Idk. I tighten it down a lot and it still happens.
I have the mapex falcon 2 leg hat stand

I had this problem too a long time. The ones that slip on me most tend to be this style:

SC_QRHHC_lg1__89263.jpg

You see how the configuration tends to "squeeze" the rod? For whatever reason, these tend to slip on me. Instead, I use a clutch where the wingnut "pinches" the rod. While these can and do wear out, they tend to last a lot longer.

448257000000000-00-500x500.jpg

In addition, make sure the hi-hat rod isn't all chewed up. This can be part of the problem as well.

The first thing I would do is take the the cymbals off and remove the tube. Check to make sure that the rod is securely screwed into the nut. I've used hose clamps as memory locks in the past. Go to a hardware or auto parts store and get the right size.

You don't say how old the stand is or what brand it is. It might be time to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I would recommend the Yamaha 740 as the best bang for the buck.

I've had problems with it slipping in the past, sometimes I resorted to hammering it a little tighter with my drumstick to make sure it stays in place! But otherwise, time for an upgrade.

Back