refinishing remo acousticon shells

ike32

I've been wanting to try refinishing drum shells for a long time. I had an old remo kit with acousticon shells sitting around gathering dust on its hideous damaged red wrap, so i figured why not start on this. i stripped the shells of hardware and got the wrap and glue off clean. however due to complete lack of any information on refininishing acousticon shells on the internet i am scared to go any further. i have considered veneer and paint (leaning toward paint) but dont want to go with either untill i know which is best. Its the first kit i ever owned handed down from my brother so i would like to breath new life into it, not just use it as a learning experience. does anyone have any acousticon refinishing stories/advice to share?

Hm. I had a set like that years ago and since it's basically a paper pulp spun into a shell, I'm not sure you can do anything other than paint it, or re-cover it. Like anything else, a good primer, sanded, then sprayed with a high gloss paint, and then sealed, would be a good start. It might just be a bravery thing. I'd go with a cool custom paint job.

You can paint or wrap without problems. I actually finished the INSIDE of my Remo kit many years ago to match the wrap.

Attachments

• Remo Kit 001.jpg
    Remo Kit 001.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 348
Back