Does anyone else use a practice log book?

I used to while in college and a couple years following. I hardly practice anymore, so keeping one at this point is pretty pointless. When the kids are old enough to go off to school, I'll start up again.

I make all of my students keep a practice log. That way, when they get discouraged, they can look back and see how far they've come...

Yup. Not all of the time, but when I start to get stagnant and uninspired I get into robot mode. It's a little boring and sad when you just have to go through the motions, but it's more sad when you're inspired again and your chops have lost out to laziness.
I've used this same sort of practice log in shooting pool and it really helps continue improvement through those less than inspired times of life and it works with just about any activity in life where you can quantify improvement.

Sort of.

I have a notebook of some exercises with my current tempos written next to them. Just a lot of random stuff; some licks, fills, single stroke roll and other often-used rudiments.

I also write my current tempo, or some other note to remember, next to the grooves/exercises from books I work from.

Not a book, per se. I record often, at least 3x per week, and I keep an mp3 of my practice sessions archived, by date. I'll listen back every now-and-then and I can hear my progress. I'm also closing the gap between what I thought I heard myself playing, and what I really hear while I'm playing. I can't get that with writing.

No, but I tape my practices and watch them to improve on my technique. It's amazing how I can go back a couple of months and be horrified with how bad I was, or I guess be happy at how much I've improved....

I do. I've also recently been making a spreadsheet of my progress so I can do a graph!

Definetly.

I would be completely lost without it.

It's a folder divided in sections that I've decided to divide my drumpractice into with copies of the pages I'm working on from different drum books I have.

I bring this folder, stickbag, headphones and mp3 player and I'm good to go.

I have my own practice plan for years to come. It's basically divided in main styles and a solo/ostinato section. Then I do the hand stuff on a pad at home before bedtime.

Yes. I'm actually thinking about designing some practice log software. Would anybody be interested?

-sheldon

I would if it were a phone app (Android preferably... :) )

Yes - a spreadsheet (PC) - it's a great tool - autocalculates your time / allows you to sort on which item you've practiced (e.g. independence, stick control, jamming, recording etc)

Back