Caravan audition

mickey

I've posted a few times about music schools and auditions and such. Thanks everyone for their advice - I'm going to ask for a little bit more.
I need to put together a "3-5 minute prepared piece" for the audition, which is in 4 weeks. I'm a full-time college student right now, so I'm struggling to find enough time and energy to devote to this. I really, really want to transfer there in the fall, and am doing my best to put something together that will get across my passion for the instrument, and showcase my skills. I ruled out learning a drum-set solo because I'm a slow reader and that's a lot to memorize for the time I have.
I decided to start experimenting with the song Caravan, which I assume most of you here know? I created a groove for the latin section inspired by http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/charlyantolinicaravan.html

but I'm not sure where to take it from there. I was wondering if:
-anyone knows where I might be able to find a recording of Caravan WITHOUT drums that I could play along to at the audition?
- suggestions/ ideas regarding whether I should try to prepare it as a solo piece
- if anyone knows any boston musicians that might be interested in accompanying me for the audition

I've played around with turning the latin section into a funk-groove, which I know has been done at least once by Martin, Medeski and Wood. It sounds great, but I'd need someone/something to play the melody with me.

so any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has suggestions for other pieces I might want to check out for the audition, I'm open to other ideas. clock is ticking though...

(for reference: the school is Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA USA. They teach jazz and contemporary music, so it's not limited to jazz or classical - I know people that have performed pop songs at their audition, though I'm not quite interested in doing that)

Back