Which college will be the best choice for drummer doing rock muisc in LA?

jimmy0730

I'm having a hard time with choosing college.

I've been played hard rock, heavy metal stuff since the day I grab a drumstick for the first time and I wanted to learn it professionally.

I heard it would be the best to go to college in LA to learn such a music.

There are two nice school in LA as far as I know, MI and LACM formerly LAMA.

Which one would be the best choice for drummer?, or do you have any other possible choices?

I'm having a hard time with choosing college.

I've been played hard rock, heavy metal stuff since the day I grab a drumstick for the first time and I wanted to learn it professionally.

I heard it would be the best to go to college in LA to learn such a music.

Which one would be the best choice for drummer?, or do you have any other possible choices?

Forgive me for beginning indelicately. I must ask: Is English your native language?

What kinda question is that?

Are you a real Bob?

If he writes like that on a college entrance exam or the PSAT, he can forget about college.

The question is valid.

Plus, to get into one of these schools he'll have to demonstrate a very capable level of pre-mastery before they let him attend. Basically, he'll have to audition and demonstrate ALL of his rudiments. That's how it work in the arts.

If he writes like that on a college entrance exam or the PSAT, he can forget about college.

The question is valid.

Well, I studied post-grad with international students who could barely put two sentences together (writing or speaking) and nevertheless aced their entrance and TOEFL exams so I wouldn't necessarily agree.

I can't think of any professional way to play "rock music" that requires a college degree. If you want to do it for a living, you'd better be good (or practice a lot if not), find a band that's already popular and in need (or start a very marketable one), and tour your ass off.

Well, I studied post-grad with international students who could barely put two sentences together (writing or speaking) and nevertheless aced their entrance and TOEFL exams so I wouldn't necessarily agree.

I was basing my answer to the post on the fact that English is his native language. If he's ESL (English as a Second Language), then that would be different.

And, if that is indeed the case, I wish him all the luck!!

to get into one of these schools he'll have to demonstrate a very capable level of pre-mastery before they let him attend. Basically, he'll have to audition and demonstrate ALL of his rudiments. That's how it work in the arts.

Sort of, I believe both schools offer 'beginner' programs tho, OP could start there... and who knows, he may end up being an instructor.

Sounds like you're not in LA jimmy0730(?). Both places have vids on YouTube, check the tuition rates and programs offered, that'll help you narrow it down.

Barber/Cosmetology College?

Hey. Somebody had to say it :)

And, because English seems to be your second language, I will explain that I'm joking with you.

If you know two languages, that's one more than I will ever know!!

Are you sure? I'll bet if he shows up with a checkbook with checks that don't bounce, he's in!

Pretty much. They will take anyone who can pay.

Sure, they have an "audition" process, but the fact is, skill isn't a requirement to get in as long as you have the tuition money.

I spent a lot of time and prep on my audition tape for PIT (back when people used tape), and I was so nervous if I was going to make the cut. Then once classes get going, I realized there were plenty of students had no prior abilities.

As for MI and LACM, LACM was started by all ex-MI employees. The differences between the two are pretty minor as far as I can tell.

I may come out a little "rude" but I don't think one needs to go to a music college for rock drumming.

I know, right? 2 and 4. How hard is that? I've seen mobile phones that were smarter than rock drummers. And besides, rock drummers are like the kids who make our Nike shoes for 16 cents and hour. If we let them go to school and learn, they might start to question the way of things. I'm telling you, soon they will want to be able to vote! Can you imagine? Rock drummers voting on our future? And then, before you know it, they'll be wanting to get paid! Paid! For 2 and 4! Inconceivable!

I may come out a little "rude" but I don't think one needs to go to a music college for rock drumming.

+1 When I started learning to play, my teacher told me I can learn to play rock on my own since it's what I do for fun. He was going to teach me jazz, funk, and the "stuff I should know." You'd be a lot more marketable as a musician if you can offer the "full package" of drumming knowledge. If you just wanna play in a rock band, college is a very expensive route to take to get there. It might be more worthwhile to build your skills as a rock/metal drummer with your own band or private teacher while going to school for something that will back you up or support that lifestyle (ex: music business, accounting, or whatever your heart desires). I don't want to seem super negative, but I'm in college too right now. It's expensive as all hell, and there's a reason I play drums for fun when a get a free hour a few times a week, and not towards a degree that is more or less meaningless unless you have the superb skills to back it up, and even then the industry is a tough business.

Still, I wish you all the best in your decision. Do your research and find out what's best for you.

Thanks for the advise and yes, English is my secondary language which means I'm not a retard.

No worries, nobody was implying you were a retard. Sometimes the Original Posters (OP), in this case you, don't give enough important information about themselves.

Language barriers come up all the time on this forum since it is an international forum.

Remember, the devil is in the details. The more information you provide - the better the answers you will receive.

If you want to be the best drummer you can be, then go for it. Get all the education that is available to you and work hard. The only person on this earth that can hold you back is you.

Best of luck to you. I hope you achieve all that you want.

No worries, nobody was implying you were a retard. Sometimes the Original Posters (OP), in this case you, don't give enough important information about themselves.

Language barriers come up all the time on this forum since it is an international forum.

Remember, the devil is in the details. The more information you provide - the better the answers you will receive.

If you want to be the best drummer you can be, then go for it. Get all the education that is available to you and work hard. The only person on this earth that can hold you back is you.

Best of luck to you. I hope you achieve all that you want.

Thanks It helps a lot.

A few thoughts from a major music school grad who lives in L.A.:

- Rock and metal groups are very rarely going to care about your formal education. They much more typically care about your looks and chops (which factor is weighted more heavily is usually dictated by genre), and then your personality/vibe. Professionalism may also be a factor depending on the group.

- Music school is crazy expensive. Unless you're independently wealthy, you're going to be coming out of school with a mountain of debt that will leave you competitively disadvantaged compared to guys who are happy to sleep in vans and on fans' floors and make no money during a band's early days.

- 99% of what you can learn at a formal music school you can get from private instructors for maybe 5% of the cost. You might be shocked at how accessible some of the top drummers in the world are for lessons. As far as making connections, you'd more efficiently and effectively meet important contacts just auditioning and performing regularly.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

A few thoughts from a major music school grad who lives in L.A.:

- Rock and metal groups are very rarely going to care about your formal education. They much more typically care about your looks and chops (which factor is weighted more heavily is usually dictated by genre), and then your personality/vibe. Professionalism may also be a factor depending on the group.

This is quite true. Back when I was gigging and playing often, I never brought up that I went to PIT. Most people don't care. Can you did the gig or not? That's all that matters.

- Music school is crazy expensive.
This is also true now. When I went, it was relatively cheap. Now? I don't know how anyone does it. In particular since the chances of earning money from playing are slim.

All of all the people I went to school with, I only know a few who are doing well playing music, and just few more who actually make a living just doing music. Most music college grads eventually end up working outside music. There are far more people who want to be drummers than their are opportunities to make money at drumming.

Back