Starting to rethink floor tom legs

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I had an audition for a band the other night, and while I was loading up afterwards, I noticed that one of my leg brackets was cracked, and a second wasn't far from it. The third was already replaced with a stronger one before I got it, so I don't have to worry about that.

While setting up at home, I mounted my floor tom from a cymbal stand, using an 'L' rod as a temporary solution, until I got a new set of matching brackets. As soon as I started playing, the drum really started to sing in a way I have never heard before! It has the perfect resonance, now. I don't think I can ever go back to using standard legs.

I'm about to take my tom apart and pull the other two brackets off, and I'm going to paint the good one to match the rest of the hardware, as it is chrome, but the hoops and lugs are white. I had to do the same thing with my kick drum spurs after my old ones busted off. It actually turned out really well, and has held up so far.

Anyhow, does anybody have any suggestions on what I could use to fill the holes that will be left over from the old brackets? Maybe get some grommets and just turn them into vent holes? Maybe something a little more decorative?

Use plastic plugs that you can buy in an automotive shop. Thats what I used.
Use Rims mounts to support the toms and Tama makes an excellent low floor tom stand that will hold two floor toms.

Use Rims mounts to support the toms and Tama makes an excellent low floor tom stand that will hold two floor toms.

Good suggestions from Bob. If you can place your cymbals where you want, mounting ft's works pretty well.

I use those Pearl suspension feet and mine resonate great, but depending on your ft's, hanging might be a better option. Get a good stand though--you can't cheap out on that.
I had a 16x16 with a RIMS, on a Yamaha stand for a few years and it held nicely. It didn't droop on me. The Tama should be just as sturdy.

Youtube search drummerconnection rack tom, search for the video showing what he does to make his floor toms rack toms. It's really basic, basically flipping it upside down is all, but fun to watch none the less :)

I would find the link for you but i'm using a govt' computer so youtube is a no no :(

Glad to hear you've come to the legless side :) I enjoy it this way as well!

I was thinking about a Rims mount, but I don't know if I want it to resonate more than it does just using the one bracket. And it's a 14"x12" floor tom, so it doesn't really need much extra support. I'll look into those plugs, though.

Good suggestions from Bob. If you can place your cymbals where you want, mounting ft's works pretty well.

I use those Pearl suspension feet and mine resonate great, but depending on your ft's, hanging might be a better option. Get a good stand though--you can't cheap out on that.
I had a 16x16 with a RIMS, on a Yamaha stand for a few years and it held nicely. It didn't droop on me. The Tama should be just as sturdy.

I'm using a Gibraltar 5600 boom stand right now. It's more than enough to support it. I have my 18" crash on it, and my 20" ride mounted from it with an extra boom attachment, and now my floor tom mounted with an 'L' rod attachment. It's still rock solid. I almost want to try putting as much stuff on it as I can to see when it will finally give out.

Youtube search drummerconnection rack tom, search for the video showing what he does to make his floor toms rack toms. It's really basic, basically flipping it upside down is all, but fun to watch none the less :)

I would find the link for you but i'm using a govt' computer so youtube is a no no :(

Glad to hear you've come to the legless side :) I enjoy it this way as well!

I found it. That's an interesting concept, but having my badge upside down would drive me nuts

I hadn't considered that.. you're right because i would be the same

but i like the idea of flipping it so the bracket is in a better position

Some pics of the toms on a Tama floor tom stand with added cymbal holder.
The toms are 12x14 and 12x16.

Attachments

• 0107021159.jpg
    0107021159.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 0107021200a.jpg
    0107021200a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 401
My floor tom resonates as long or longer than needed. My rack tom didn't, so I added a suspension mount and that did the trick (plus it's easier to position it exactly where I want it). Suspending the floor tom isn't for me, but I'm glad you figured out that it will work for you. Happy drumming!

that kit looks awefully fun to play bob.

Is the cymbal with rivets a crash or is that a ride?

that kit looks awefully fun to play bob.

Is the cymbal with rivets a crash or is that a ride?
Its actually a 22" 2oo2 ride from 1981 that I drilled for seven aluminum rivets. It sounds awesome. I also have an eight rivet Zildjian Swish Knocker that I switch out with the Paiste.

Back