Small mixer that can take speaker-level input?

JohnnySomersett

Hey all

Quick little bit of advice needed. I need a small mixer that can take an input from a venues mixing desk at speaker-level input... ie: the cable that would normally go into the monitor speaker (very high level, already amplified)

Is there anything on the market that is small & inexpensive that can do this? Or even, whats the proper terminology for me too google?

Cheers

Ah! I didnt even consider a DI box!! Another thing to worry about though, I was hoping to find a mixer with that attenuation built in
I'm not aware of any mixer that's designed to take a fully amplified signal as an input. I'm left thinking, why would you? Are you sure the line you're picking up is amplified (i.e. linked to a passive monitor), & not a signal to a powered monitor? Is it not possible to take a signal out from the venue desk?

I'm not aware of any mixer that's designed to take a fully amplified signal as an input. I'm left thinking, why would you? Are you sure the line you're picking up is amplified (i.e. linked to a passive monitor), & not a signal to a powered monitor? Is it not possible to take a signal out from the venue desk?

Well, I wanted to cover all eventualities. Basically I need to mix a click track and a signal from the synths/laptop side of our music and the mix from the desk out front and bang it into my in-ear monitors.

Some venues I'm sure a line out from the desk will be available but if NOT I wanna be able to just unplug the wedge and pop the cable into my own setup.

Hey all

Quick little bit of advice needed. I need a small mixer that can take an input from a venues mixing desk at speaker-level input... ie: the cable that would normally go into the monitor speaker (very high level, already amplified)

Is there anything on the market that is small & inexpensive that can do this? Or even, whats the proper terminology for me too google?

Cheers

As always, if you also tell us what you are trying to accomplish then it is easier to make a suggestion. ;)

I would bet that you are playing in a venue on a regular basis and this venue isn't set up for a line-out into a wireless monitor system, so you are wanting to unplug a monitor and plug that speaker cable into something that you can plug in-ear monitors into.

http://www.rockonaudio.com/ makes exactly what you need. I have used one of these for the last couple of months and I absolutely love it. It takes both line-level as well as speaker-level input. Remember to ask the sound engineer to turn the monitor amp down before plugging/unplugging the monitor.

Back