Preventing cramping?

TradSkin0311

Hey all. I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I'm back again with a question. I recently purchased magnesium citrate to help prevent my hands, forearms, and fingers from cramping when I play shows, etc. I am concious to not hold the sticks too tight, etc, and I am wondering if you feel this will work to help prevent cramping; I guess like potassium. Anyway, what are your thoughts? How long before I play should I take this? How many? It's the Now brand and 200mg. You can find all the specs on amazon.com. Thanks!

You should really be asking a nutritionist or physician about the amount of supplements to take - or follow the guidelines on the package.

It is good that you are using a loose grip. But also make sure to work on endurance exercises, stopping at the point of tension. You will notice that, after a while, you will be able to play longer and faster without tension building up. But you need to start slow and less repetitions and build from there.

Jeff

Last edited:
playing super relaxed definately helps as does looking after your body and getting a good amount of exercise.

slightly off topic i guess but I've just started doing bikram yoga and its helped my playing. my core is stronger and my posture is better and i think this translates into my playing.

Magnesium citrate, a magnesium preparation in salt form with citric acid, is a chemical agent used medicinally as a saline laxative and to completely empty the bowel prior to a major surgery or colonoscopy. It is available without a prescription, both as a generic or under the brand name Citromag or Citroma. It is also used as a magnesium supplement in pills. The magnesium content of magnesium citrate corresponds to about 11% by mass.

How are you holding your sticks. lol

I play sports, and I got many cramps so i went to a doctor. Try drinking a lot of water before and during your show.

I would suggest talking to your primary care doctor,instead of asking drummers what to do about cramping.I asked my Dr. and he told me to take Magnesium,and potassium daily supplements,and drink at least 6 -8 glasses of water per day.But thats me,and he took blood and urine tests,as well as a physical exam,before his recomendation.

Be guided by a professional when it comes to your health.You wouldn't post a drumming technique question on a medical forum,would you?Best of luck.:)

Steve B

I play sports, and I got many cramps so i went to a doctor. Try drinking a lot of water before and during your show.

Your body needs enough hydration to keep everything else in good running condition.
A good guideline to follow is take your weight in pounds and divide that in half. That number is the number of ounces of water you should drink daily.

Don't drink all the water at one time, spread it out throughout the daytime hours - drinking most of it by late afternoon. Warning: You will be making a few trips to the potty before lunchtime.

Of course, check with a physician. If you drink too much water before your gig, there is another post on the forum titled

"What do you do when you are in the middle of a live set and have to go potty really bad?" ->http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93302

Your mileage may vary...

Magnesium citrate, a magnesium preparation in salt form with citric acid, is a chemical agent used medicinally as a saline laxative and to completely empty the bowel prior to a major surgery or colonoscopy. It is available without a prescription, both as a generic or under the brand name Citromag or Citroma. It is also used as a magnesium supplement in pills. The magnesium content of magnesium citrate corresponds to about 11% by mass.

How are you holding your sticks. lol

I don't understand the first paragraph one bit. No, my hands aren't doing too much work.

Back