Mixer for direct monitoring?

gconyers

Just curious to see what some of you use as a monitor mixer that does double-duty for recording and live monitoring.

I used to have a Mackie 1402 that recently kicked the bucket. It had 6 XLR inputs and direct outs for each channel. I could use it for practice by connecting my computer/phone for music, mixing the drums and using earbuds and ear protectors (which provided a lot of isolation and protection for my ears). I could also take signal from the direct outs and connect them to my interface (Tascam US-1800) and record each channel into my DAW. It was great because I could tailor the sound on the mixer (EQ, reverb, etc.) without affecting the recorded signal. It was also a fantastic way of monitoring and recording without any latency.

I recently rented an ALLEN and HEATH ZED 10fx mixer which has a USB (2 channel only) recording output and a built-in effects processor. The down side is that it has no direct outs so I have to mix the drums "in the mixer" before printing the recording. I would have to spend a lot more money to get a ZED mixer with more inputs and direct outs to use it as I was using the Mackie.

Just curious to see what others are using for the same purpose. Pictures of your setups would be great.

I recently purchased a PreSonus StudioLive AR12 for recording drum practice:
https://www.interstatemusic.com/981...alog-Digital-Hybrid-Mixer-STUDIOLIVEAR12.aspx

It has eight mic/line inputs, monitor and control room outputs, aux inputs for a music player, and Bluetooth connectivity for a smartphone. It functions as an audio interface to front-end a DAW, and has a onboard SD recorder for self-contained recording. It can be a live mixer/recorder, or the center of a small studio with or without DAW.

I used a 20% off promotion to knock $100 off the price at Cascio. I have three mics (Kick, snare, and one overhead), play along to tracks on iPod or iPhone, and record the whole thing to the SD card for playback.

Yeah for what you are doing the usb 2 channel out like the Allen and Heath, yamaha and such don't work well for recording. I had a yamaha and that frustrated me. Bought it originally to just monitor with then decided I wanted to record. I picked up a Zoom Livetrack 12, you can go straight to your DAW or record to an SD card. Can be used for live sound as well, I really like this recorder, easy to use and much smaller than a traditional mixer. Other option would be something like the Scarlett 18i20 or go with another Mackie

I'm using a Yamaha DP-24 to mix, monitor and record my set up. Works great. 8 inputs cover the mics on my set plus audio from my tablet and electronic kit. My mic setup is 2 Audix pencil condensers OH in xy, D6 in bass, i5 on snare, an SM57 on the rack toms

I have no pictures, but I usually stick with a Mackie 1604VLZ3 or a Yamaha O1v, for precisely the reasons you mentioned: I need the available auxiliary inputs and outputs. I think in analog world, for the price, the Mackie is the only one that offers that. The Yamaha is cool because you get dynamics processors on every channel, among other digital cool things - but it does give you an additional outputs you can configure anyway you want. Unfortunately, it just costs money. 01v's are pretty pricey.

Picked up an Allen and Heath MixWiz3. Sixteen XLR inputs, awesome 4 band EQ, six AUX sends and built in FX. It has direct outs for every channel so they go straight into my interface. Computer/DAW into the stereo returns. It also has an insert jack on each channel so I can add compression if I want. All of this is pre-fader, which means I can add EQ, effects etc. for direct monitoring and record the unaffected signal for mixing afterward.

Allen and Heath QU-16. Best bit of electronic kit I've bought in ages. I resisted going digital for a long time but so glad I did.

You can plug a USB hard drive in and multitrack record 18 channels simultaneously directly to it (though fixed at 24bit / 48khz), and also control it remotely with an iPad (i.e. so someone out front can control the FOH mix), and people can control their personal mix with an iPhone.

You do need to plug something like an airport express into it to enable the wireless side of it. I picked up a cheap router for about £30 which works fine.

I have it sitting next to me on the drums so I can control the monitor mixes if I need to.

You can get a compact version that is only controllable via the iPad too.

Here's a couple of places with it in situ at gigs : -

DrumMixerSetup.JPG

WeddingGigSetup1.jpg

Allen and Heath QU-16. Best bit of electronic kit I've bought in ages. I resisted going digital for a long time but so glad I did.

You can plug a USB hard drive in and multitrack record 18 channels simultaneously directly to it (though fixed at 24bit / 48khz), and also control it remotely with an iPad (i.e. so someone out front can control the FOH mix), and people can control their personal mix with an iPhone.

You do need to plug something like an airport express into it to enable the wireless side of it. I picked up a cheap router for about £30 which works fine.

I have it sitting next to me on the drums so I can control the monitor mixes if I need to.

You can get a compact version that is only controllable via the iPad too.

Here's a couple of places with it in situ at gigs : -

DrumMixerSetup.JPG

WeddingGigSetup1.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. Now I just need to figure out how to set everything up ergonomically.

Back