I have some questions

JacoFett

Hi, I'm new to drummerworld and i have been playing the drums since January this year. I like all kinds of metal and some rock but am willing to learn everything i can. I go to lessons once a week at school and am also trying to get private lessons.
Questions:
What are some beginner double bass songs?
How do i build speed with both my hands and feet?
What are some good drum lessons for metal or double bass on youtube?
How can i play double bass evenly using the floating technique? (because i can only play double bass evenly if i do heel-up)
I only get to play around 2-3 times a week, so how do i improve fast only playing that much a week?
Would you recommend the Drumming System 2.0?
What is a rim shot?
What are mute stokes?
What are polyrythms?
What is the correct way to hit a cymbal?
When do i know when i need a new drum head?
I hope you can answer these questions it would be a big help to me. :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Things like rimshot, polythythm can be found via Google. (Honestly I think that's the kind of homework one could expect people to do _before_ posting on a forum, but maybe that's just my opinion.)

I have the original version of the Drumming System, can't judge on the 2.0. I think the orig. system it's not bad, you can learn a lot from it. However, if you have a clear idea of what you want to learn you don't really need it. It's great to use it as an encyclopedia type tutorial to get familiar with various styles (although superficially at times) but if you're primarily into metal you could do without it.

The more you practice the better you get, it's simple. So having a reduced amount of time means you have to maximize your time and practice as efficiently as possible. But even then, depending on your (limited) time you're putting in, it might take a while to get comfy at higher speeds hand and foot wise.

As for how to correctly hit a cymbal and in general - the 'search' function will be your best friend.

Make sure you have/acquire good technique. This is a prerequisite to play at higher tempos (or even hit them) for longer periods of time. The best option would be having a (good) teacher. But there's also numerous superb tutorials around. Again, if you search around on this forum you'll find tons of info.

Make sure you're approaching drumming from a reasonable perspective. Try to set realistic goals (speed/technique takes time!). Also work on your mental approach - you should absolutely avoid frustration. Always keep a good perspective! It will change the way you practice and ultimately, make you a better drummer (if not better person).

As for double bass... You just started out so learn to crawl before walking (or even running). I'm liking double bass a lot myself but developing those (or any) skills takes time. And in the end it's control and the amount of time you're putting in that gets you there. Of course there's great tutorials on the various techniques (although you can get away with 1-2 techniques if you have them down, no need to learn them all although I do recommend to do so - provided you have the time). But as always, control is paramount. Some people can hit good speed rather quickly (I had a quick start with double bass) but acquiring control will take the time it needs, no short cuts. Don't neglect a good single bass drum technique. Once you start learning double bass, focus on your weaker/left foot, for faster progress.

Polyrhythm (also referred to as polymetrics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
Combining various rhythms.
E.g. 3 over 2 --- 5 over 2 --- 7 over 2 --- 2 over 3 --- 4 over 3 --- 7 over 3 --- 3 over 4 --- 5 over 4 --- 7 over 4.
(I've found those polyrhythms in a book I just got - "The Drum Master Key" by Florian Alexandru-Zorn. You don't need to learn those all but that's about - or more than - what one might come across in real life.)

Rimshot: Hitting the drum (typically snare) with the stick hitting the head and rim at the same time, for an aggressive/cutting sound.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

I reckon Arky covered everything, but I'll just add a little. Firstly, take his advice and use the Search function! Not only will you find the answer to whatever question you're asking, but you'll find answers to questions you hadn't even wondered about yet. It's the quickest way I know to acquire a lot of information.

Secondly, you don't have to be sitting at your kit in order to practise. (I play brilliantly when I'm nowhere near my kit: I never make any mistakes!). If you have a pair of drumsticks, you can play on the arm of a sofa, or on a pillow. You can get a practice pad, but I don't really like the sound or feel of mine and prefer the sofa option. If you are without drumsticks, you can still work on co-ordination. Top tip: do NOT drum on the table at meal times.

The only way to improve is to practise. You may improve very quickly, or it may take a very long time. Either way, it won't happen as soon as you'd like, so learn to enjoy the thrill of the chase. But be kind to yourself, don't forget to value your achievements even as you set your sights on new goals.

Here's a couple links to existing threads that you might find useful.

DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2885

Best Foot/double bass DVD?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94844

Swinging cymbals
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104408
(There's way more threads on how to properly play/set up cymbals - e.g. don't tighten the felts too much - but that one should do as a starter.)

What do you mean by double bass 'floating' technique?
Would this be flat foot? Swivel?

As for speed in general:
** Work on your technique.
** Hands: Get your free stroke right.
(I plunged into speed rather quickly but kept readjusting my grip and had to re-learn how to do the free stroke correctly. This is a MUST to work the sticks in the most efficient way. It has to feel right when you're doing it _slowly_, THEN speed it up. Don't learn it the way I did - first getting @ 280 bpm, then back to square one/free stroke, haha ;-)

You might check out Bill Bachman's new website DrumWorkout - give it a try (1-month membership, $19.99). I've been a beta tester for a few weeks, the website was launched a week ago. That site is stellar for hand technique. I can't recommend it enough!

As for feet: Find ways to practice your feet as much as you can. I have a double pedal (& kick practice pad) right under my PC desk) and would practice double bass while working on other stuff at the PC. Multi tasking/time efficiency!

The best way to develop speed is by developing control. You develop control by strengthening your arms, wrists, fingers or legs/calves, etc, and practicing rudiments and whatever book materials very slowly, deliberately. The best and fastest way is long, hard hours doing things you mostly don't want to. :)

I would not use that product, and would stay away from anything to do with the associated sites-- drumeo, freedrumlessons, and the rest. Get some real drum lessons.

In his defence, he is intending to take some real drum lessons. Jaco, a real, live teacher sitting next to you is the same as having clothes made to measure.

The best way to develop speed is by developing control. You develop control by strengthening your arms, wrists, fingers or legs/calves, etc, and practicing rudiments and whatever book materials very slowly, deliberately. The best and fastest way is long, hard hours doing things you mostly don't want to. :)

^^^^ absolutely. Slower IS faster. It may be counter-intuitive, but it's true nonetheless.

The only way to improve is to practise. You may improve very quickly, or it may take a very long time. Either way, it won't happen as soon as you'd like, so learn to enjoy the thrill of the chase. But be kind to yourself, don't forget to value your achievements even as you set your sights on new goals.

This ^^^^

Very nicely put here Mrs Christie :)

BTW, you can call me Hercule...

Looks like everyone has this covered so I'll just say welcome to the forum.

Use a metronome! Most new drummers tend to speed up.

Start slow and make sure it is smooth before trying to speed up. This is a hard thing for beginners to grasp because the payoff happens later. It's sort of a Catch 22. You don't see the speed and you are playing slow. But trust me it WILL happen. Once it does, you will learn everything that way and get faster and and faster. Not only playing speed, but learning something new will be faster as well. Stick to it and you will see!

Agreed with slower is faster. I thought everyone was having me on but recently i have been working on foot technique really slowly and it has helped SO much. It really does work.

When do i know when i need a new drum head?

I change snare heads way more often than tom heads. I don't change the snare head until I see all the coating is worn off in the center and there is a big clear patch in the middle of the head. By that time, you can pull that head off and maybe use it for an extra salsa bowl. The tom heads usually just start sounding dead after a couple years of use depending on how much you play. They don't tune up very well anymore and just sound dead. If you don't use dampening, and have a critical ear, you may want to change them more often. But if you use dampening, then the drum heads will sound half dead anyway and can last many years, especially the hydraulic two-ply heads. Some heads, like the heads I'm using, will sound even better after a couple or few months of use. I'm sure the manufacturers are tickled that people change them out so much, but I think they need a little time to settle and stretch out a bit.

My advice for any beginning drummer, if you plan on being self taught, watch MANY drummers. I mean as many drummers as possible. There's likely ONE drummer you idolize and may focus on immitating, and that's fine. I have a couple of those myself: But you don't want to be a one trick pony with your sound. Listen to hundreds of drummers, and try to take something away from each drummer you watch.

As far as techniques, there's really nothing I can offer you that you can't find on Youtube or learn from a good teacher. And I'm probably one of the LEAST qualified people on this forum to teach. The best I can do is offer you that small pinch of advice.

I started with Midian (the album) by Cradle of Filth and just kinda struggled my way through it until I could play it.

After a while I realized it was good to just play double bass to songs that didn't have double bass but were at comfortable tempos.

Awake by Dream Theater was also a really good one, lots of moderate/slow tempo stuff in there.

Take a year or two to get intimate with a book called "Stick Control," combine it with a practice pad and a metronome, add a competent teacher. That's a good way to start. If your hands don't work smoothly and efficiently you'll never have the chops to play that stuff. Ask any pro drummer, they'll probably agree.

Take a year or two to get intimate with a book called "Stick Control," combine it with a practice pad and a metronome, add a competent teacher.

I love that book (I'd marry it if I could), but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to OP just yet, as it might either kill off any desire he ever had to play drums, or else turn him into an obsessive perfectionist!

Use a metronome! Most new drummers tend to speed up.

Start slow and make sure it is smooth before trying to speed up. This is a hard thing for beginners to grasp because the payoff happens later. It's sort of a Catch 22. You don't see the speed and you are playing slow. But trust me it WILL happen. Once it does, you will learn everything that way and get faster and and faster. Not only playing speed, but learning something new will be faster as well. Stick to it and you will see!

^^ This is one of the best pieces of advice you'll ever get.

Back