Recording Drum Question

Rob1n

Hey guys,

Im Currently about to start recording for my band and i have a miixer, Mics, cables and all the other gear.

My question was that I have 7 mics (Bass, Snare, 3x Tom mics and 2x pencil condenser mics) but my mixer only has 6 XLR mic inputs. My kit is a 5 Piece (can make it 4 Piece if needed) with snare, bass, 3x toms, hats, 2x crashes, ride and china.

Would it be best to sacrifice a tom and have each drum mic'd and have 2 overheads or keep a 5 piece but sacrifice a mic?

If the second option what would the best mic set up be?

Thanks guys peace out :)

Hey guys,

Im Currently about to start recording for my band and i have a miixer, Mics, cables and all the other gear.

My question was that I have 7 mics (Bass, Snare, 3x Tom mics and 2x pencil condenser mics) but my mixer only has 6 XLR mic inputs. My kit is a 5 Piece (can make it 4 Piece if needed) with snare, bass, 3x toms, hats, 2x crashes, ride and china.

Would it be best to sacrifice a tom and have each drum mic'd and have 2 overheads or keep a 5 piece but sacrifice a mic?

If the second option what would the best mic set up be?

Thanks guys peace out :)
Depends on what sort of recording you want. For most demo purposes, you can use kick, snare and the two overhead mics. If you really must close mic the toms, try using 1 mic in the centre of the two mounted toms. That will usually pick up quite nicely and the EQ should be similar for both toms. Mic the floor separately as the EQ is likely to be different. There are so many combo's you can play with. Try two overheads, kick batter, kick reso, snare batter, snare reso if you want to experiment with the main drum sounds. Good luck.

If i had a 5 pc kit and 6 mics I'd mic the kick, the snare, 2 pencils for overheads and one mic for your rack toms (if you have 2 up, 1 down) or 1 for your floor toms (if you have 1 up, 2 down) and then the other mic for the solo tom. The other good configuration is 1 mic for kick, 1 snare, 2 overheads and 2 room mics.

Back