Hanging up the sticks.

I stayed balanced like this:

women_middle-age-invisibility.jpg

Or was that overbalanced?

There is a deep analogy between the model's detail and Darren's question. The deep Zenlike state achieved in order to create a plane like that mirrors the deep Zenlike state to be found in highly focused drummers who go easy on the OP rum and cokes.

There's also the parallel in making sure all of the little details fit the larger picture, lest some inappropriate thing stick out and ruin the moment (like Neil Peart fills in the middle of "Wind Beneath My Wings").

OK, NOW we're screwing around and getting off topic!

No no no - you're getting to the core of it, Mike. We can't progress easily if we flit about doing a bitta this and a bitta that. We need to stop and focus on those small details and get that simple line to a point where it's as good as if Steve Godd played it. Then move onto the next, not moving on until that simple thing is PERFECT.

I don't have the patience to do this myself, of course, but that's what the really good players do :)

Hanging up the st

Hello all poets, the thread name probably caught your attention. If you love writing poetry and want to put it out there, here is your chance. Poetry of any kind is allowed

To start this thread, I am going to post one of my poems. This is called Dreamer.

Can you picture the last time you fell asleep?
The second your eyes shut into a temporary unconciousness?
There you prepare for the next day - an early mornings start.
The night grabs your heart and prepares it for an overnight rollercoaster ride.
This brings you through an adventure of various themes.
Good, bad.
Funny, sad.
Might make you happy or make you mad.
Jealousy, confusion and all the rest.
You wake to the charming voice of mother - waking you up for school.
Now there is a day ahead of you.
Shrug the nights excitement off and ready yourself for tonight.
A whole new scavenger of lifes recollections.

I would love to see some poetry from other W.F. users.

One observation I've made over the 30 years of playing drums is that drummers are by far the most competetive of all musicians! So many of us treat it like a sporting event and we have to be the best, the fastest, the most technical. Put a couple guitar players in a room and they play music...sax players....violin players...same thing. Put a couple drummers in a room together and suddenly you have an Olympic event!

I just find this funny, and I suppose it leads to anxiety and thoughts of "giving it up", like the NFL running back who no longer can run a 4.3 40 - - or the high school kid who never could.

My feeling is playing music and being a musician is an experience that is always changing. And, your skills need to get to the point where you can express what you want to express in the context of a song or a band.

I guess my point is, don't hang it up just based on the technical side of drumming...There are so many more reasons to PLAY!

Re: Hanging up the st

Hello all poets, the thread name probably caught your attention. If you love writing poetry and want to put it out there, here is your chance. Poetry of any kind is allowed

To start this thread, I am going to post one of my poems. This is called Dreamer.

Can you picture the last time you fell asleep?
The second your eyes shut into a temporary unconciousness?
There you prepare for the next day - an early mornings start.
The night grabs your heart and prepares it for an overnight rollercoaster ride.
This brings you through an adventure of various themes.
Good, bad.
Funny, sad.
Might make you happy or make you mad.
Jealousy, confusion and all the rest.
You wake to the charming voice of mother - waking you up for school.
Now there is a day ahead of you.
Shrug the nights excitement off and ready yourself for tonight.
A whole new scavenger of lifes recollections.

I would love to see some poetry from other W.F. users.

Honey,

Not only are you in the wrong thread, you're on the wrong website!
Better luck next click.

I can't say I ever thought of giving up because I wasn't progressing in my playing.

I realized at 22 no one was ever going to mention me in the same sentence as Terry Bozzio, no matter how much I practiced. But I did realize I could still play well enough to be in a band, and many drummers make a fine career without having mind boggling chops. As Bermuda pointed out in another thread: 'If they want Vinnie, they will call him. Chances are they'll make him play 2&4 anyway."

But now, I'm 39, I've long since given up on trying to "make it". I have two small children, I'm trying to get my CPA license so I can actually make money for change, it gets harder and harder to find time to play drums. And when I do, age and years of playing hard has brought on bit of arthritis, and borderline carpel tunnel. I'm tired of the drama that comes with being in most bands. So I certainly have days where I think "why bother playing drums anymore?"

The hard part for myself is I spent so much of life trying to make a career in music. Now, without that goal of "making it" I find it harder to focus, because I'm no longer driven like I once was to get to a certain point in drumming.

I don't give up 100% though. I enjoy drumming to much to not be a part of my live.
I'm also using technology to have my own recording studio, where I can do what I want.

This both helps because I have music I can drum to, and makes it worse, because I spend so much time trying to play the guitar parts, programming keyboards, and mixing the things together, that actual time drumming sometimes takes a back seat.

I am trying to re-focus my technique, learn some new things and be a better drummer. I just no longer have a time line, and making one is tough when kids take priority.

At this point, who knows if in a few years I'll realize weeks go by in between touching drums, or maybe I'll have multiple solo albums done. Or maybe my kids will take up playing, and I'll spend my time recording and mixing their demos.

Not like lifting weights is the same as drumming BUT....I would go for weeks while lifting and never get any stronger (sometimes loose strength) and get so frustrated that all my hard work in the gym seemed to be wasted with no results whatsoever. However I realized that hard work and determination through those low points in morale (in whatever you are doing) will always bring you out of your slump to a period of exponetinal growth where you crush all the goals you set for youself. This absolutely applies to drumming, I know it does for me, I went through a period where I could NOT loosen up my left hand for even the slowest of blast beats, and would find my wrist cramping up at shows and unable to function properly. However, I worked through it and one day found myself able to perform even beyond what I expected...and I think this really applies to everything you do. There will always be low points, but they are always followed by a period where you will progress a great deal if you just stick it through. Quitters will never get to experience those great moments of growth, so I say, STICK with it.

phil-

Back