Playing Moby Dick

Without knowing what type of event you're playing, and the age group that's going to be there, and their attitude ..... it's a tough call. So, be prepared to play just a short solo ..... and if the crowd looks like they're really into it .... then extend your time.​

Definitely agree with Harry here. What's the context of the gig? From what I can gather you're 13 or 14, yeah? So if the gig is a backyard party with a few of your mates, no harm no foul. Go for it......if they start walking away or heading for the sly grog stash then you've probably played too long.
If it's a paid gig or a gig where punters have paid to attend, be aware that your job is to entertain......and not everyone is entertained by a drum solo, especially one that runs for 10 minutes or more. Keep it professional and regardless of the gig, if you're gonna do it, do it well.

I like Zep, and love Bonham, but I've always thought Moby Dick to be the bands least interesting tune.

Aw man......one of my favourite displays of Page's awesome crunching riffery. I agree the album version of the actual solo is certainly stifled. But that live version from Royal Albert Hall? Bonzo is just epic. A fine example of how "The Beast" was born.

Back