Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

After watching a few videos, he seems like an interesting guy who's just working his way thru college doing what he likes best and thats playing drums and having fun. That was something I wish I could have done back in the day. I use to play covers all the time in my younger days but we just didn't have videos, Youtube, Facebook etc. I say more power to him and I want say rather he's bad or good. All I can say is I' m not interested in some of the covers it's just not my kind of music but over all I think he's pretty good. Btw I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I love the forum.

As far as I can tell the OP is Casey Cooper, the guy in the video. So it's a thinly veiled thread, trying to trick us. The link on his sig and the vid he is pushing features the same guy. Cmon Casey, we're not THAT dumb.

That's Casey?

Hmmm, does that mean I can say what I really think of his playing?! :)

As far as I can tell the OP is Casey Cooper, the guy in the video. So it's a thinly veiled thread, trying to trick us. The link on his sig and the vid he is pushing features the same guy. Cmon Casey, we're not THAT dumb.

Hmmm, I don't think so, Lar. Mike IS the guy in the "Casey Tribute" video, but if you watch the videos by Casey himself, they don't look the same.

Compare this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQrvZjhnHI&feature=share&list=UU36UM7Uc9DP_8g1MYoPYHSw&index=1

To this guy - http://youtu.be/1cH0YDLtxzs

Who knows, though. Sometimes I'm a thinly veiled dummy...

That's Casey?

Hmmm, does that mean I can say what I really think of his playing?! :)

Every person that posts performance videos here has one objective....a not so thinly veiled call for attention. In that regard, they should get the attention in the form of objective commentary whether it be good or bad.

So, yes, in my world you should absolutely say what you think about the drumming whether it's good or bad....and if it is bad, then so be it. They came here to show us what they got and if what they got needs work, then it should be pointed out.

Problem is that some folks have a very thinly veiled form of bravado in the written and personally obfuscated form known as an online forum, and, can't handle the objective truth, which then causes hurt feelings and irrational flare ups....then ultimately the messenger is constrained by the mob mentality or "management".

Say it like it is.

I did say it like it is. I could have said even more. :)

I did say it like it is. I could have said even more. :)

Yes, you gave your thoughts, which were correct in my opinion and you certainly have the playing credentials to say as much as you wish, objectively....and if there is more you should say it, if you want, if nothing more than from a teaching perspective. That is a *positive* exchange if you ask me. ;-)

Why are you always shouting at me, Mike Chimney?

Every person that posts performance videos here has one objective....a not so thinly veiled call for attention. In that regard, they should get the attention in the form of objective commentary whether it be good or bad.

So, yes, in my world you should absolutely say what you think about the drumming whether it's good or bad....and if it is bad, then so be it. They came here to show us what they got and if what they got needs work, then it should be pointed out.

Problem is that some folks have a very thinly veiled form of bravado in the written and personally obfuscated form known as an online forum, and, can't handle the objective truth, which then causes hurt feelings and irrational flare ups....then ultimately the messenger is constrained by the mob mentality or "management".

Say it like it is.

Shemp? Is that you?

Casey Coopers playing style simply overwhelms me. On some of the slower songs it seems he leaves the stick on the drum head(something my drum teacher does not want me doing).

Very difficult to sum the guy up. He has endorsements from Zildjian using the super high end stuff just because of his videos. On a personal level, it seems that a lot of people can relate to him (just a kid with no money who wants to make music and has a modicum of talent).

Drumming wise he is perhaps better than me at certain things, but there are things I dislike.

1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong.

2) He seems to just cover what people want him to rather than spending time improving his playing. Now he's got his endorsements perhaps he needs to work a little more on progressing (unless thats part of his contract then he will be stuck in a rut for a long time).

3) Songs like 'The Pretender' do not need to be improvised, but he jams over the top of them with stuff that just does not make sense. All he has done is bastardise what is a very good drum track by Taylor Hawkins. And people still dig this stuff.

It all amounts to a point scoring exercise. I'm very glad that he got declined for America's Got Talent, his playing is not awe inspiring. Fair play to him for having a go of course...

I only look at drum covers to get a reliable guide for certain tracks I want to learn, like Superstition, I feel good etc. The only purpose Casey serves me, is to remind me that not all popular drummers are superhuman. If one things exposes his playing over anything else, it's his drum solos on his big kit. Too much trickery not enough competence for someone who gives it the beans about how great they are.

I'm envious of his endorsements, he is a lucky son of a gun. That's all that I'm envious of though...

Very difficult to sum the guy up. He has endorsements from Zildjian using the super high end stuff just because of his videos. On a personal level, it seems that a lot of people can relate to him (just a kid with no money who wants to make music and has a modicum of talent).

Drumming wise he is perhaps better than me at certain things, but there are things I dislike.

1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong.

2) He seems to just cover what people want him to rather than spending time improving his playing. Now he's got his endorsements perhaps he needs to work a little more on progressing (unless thats part of his contract then he will be stuck in a rut for a long time).

3) Songs like 'The Pretender' do not need to be improvised, but he jams over the top of them with stuff that just does not make sense. All he has done is bastardise what is a very good drum track by Taylor Hawkins. And people still dig this stuff.

It all amounts to a point scoring exercise. I'm very glad that he got declined for America's Got Talent, his playing is not awe inspiring. Fair play to him for having a go of course...

I only look at drum covers to get a reliable guide for certain tracks I want to learn, like Superstition, I feel good etc. The only purpose Casey serves me, is to remind me that not all popular drummers are superhuman. If one things exposes his playing over anything else, it's his drum solos on his big kit. Too much trickery not enough competence for someone who gives it the beans about how great they are.

I'm envious of his endorsements, he is a lucky son of a gun. That's all that I'm envious of though...

Yeah I'm defending the guy and I don't mean to bash you
1) Link the video and I'll believe you. I've watched a ton of his videos and I can't recall him saying that.
2) I don't agree. He gets a ton of requests every day so obviously he will cover a song that someone have requested. He also covers a lot of new songs and as fast a new song hits the top 25 someone will request it.
3) Weak argument from my side here: It is his videos and his covers. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find him just grooving behind a band live.

He might not be the worlds greatest but he is a good inspiration. He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.

On a professional level - his time and musicality are both lacking, for starters. Without a doubt. Not to beat a dead horse.
That said, he's an alright drummer. There are some youtube drummers that should probably refrain from uploading stuff, but I don't think he is one.
much of the jam/imrpov stuff I watched didn't click for me as a viewer or listener. Again, definitely lacking in musicality and phrasing.

Yeah I'm defending the guy and I don't mean to bash you
1) Link the video and I'll believe you. I've watched a ton of his videos and I can't recall him saying that.
2) I don't agree. He gets a ton of requests every day so obviously he will cover a song that someone have requested. He also covers a lot of new songs and as fast a new song hits the top 25 someone will request it.
3) Weak argument from my side here: It is his videos and his covers. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find him just grooving behind a band live.

He might not be the worlds greatest but he is a good inspiration. He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.

1) I am not wasting the precious time and resource I have looking through all his videos again. You'll find its one of the more waffly ones like his autobiographical videos where he talks about his life etc (apparently he's a celebrity in the music business)

2) My argument is that he should perhaps spend more time working on his weaknesses than playing covers on youtube. He will always stay stuck as a musician by playing other stuff in his own interpretation. I call 'improving the beat' a cop out, I actually think he just can't play it as played on record. It's conning people and influencing those who perhaps aren't musically that wise into thinking drummers who don't play flashy are crap.

3) Never looked for his live band stuff, I have limited time to do musical research and I don't feel I will learn much from him. That isn't meant to be a slight, I don't really listen to Rush or Dream Theater any more and they are my favourite bands. I need to listen to music where I can actually apply drum beats that are in my capability and also, songs where it is important to learn not to play a plethora of fills, just because you can.

I won't doubt his influence for one moment, he gets a lot of views on his videos but youtube should not be the measuring stick that defines success. I wish I had all the Zildjian K's he has believe me.

Back