Are wood hoops just for looks??

goodcat1337

Or do they make a difference in sound? I am wanting to replace my powder coated silver hoops with wood, and then replace my lugs with gold plated ones.

So, will switching to wood hoops make a difference in the sound of the drum, or are they purely cosmetic?

I find they help resonance, other than that I don't think it makes a huge difference, all changes are positive though, can't think of downside to wood hoops other than them being a little easier to break.

Alright, thanks. Since I'm only gonna be putting them on my toms, I don't think I really have to worry that much about breaking them.

Have you tried them before going through the expense?

Dennis

I enjoy wood hoops on my snare and despite what people say I have had no problems with durability.

My PDP Woody batter hoop is still alive and kicking after about 4 years of rimshotting every back beat. It has chipped a little, but nothing major.

So, will switching to wood hoops make a difference in the sound of the drum, or are they purely cosmetic?
It depends on what hoops & what drum. In most cases, adding fairly thick multiple ply hoops will only change the playing/resonance/focus characteristics according to the change in mass. Certain higher end wood hoops working in harmony with the right shell can add another flavour to the resolved sound.

Have you tried them before going through the expense?

Dennis

No, I haven't. I mean, I have played kits with wood hoops before, but haven't tried it on my kit.

Let me show you guys what I'm working with, and maybe that will help.

I've got a Pork Pie Little Squealer kit. So, idk if it will make a difference either way. If you guys think it won't change my sound too much, then I'd like to switch to wood hoops. I'm gonna stain them ebony satin just like the shells, and I want to switch all my hardware to brass. I could always just go with the black version of the hoops I have on my kit now, if it will make a big difference.
2012-10-30_15-17-32_548_zps46c2eb65.jpg.html

edit: does photobucket not work for this site?

Last edited:
I have a set of wood hoops on a low end Ludwig snare. Rimshots are definitely different. Both more sharp and with more body, if that makes sense. Slightly lower pitch, but the thin shell drum doesn't like being tuned high anyway. The attack is more broad and rounder. I don't know how well they would work on mahogany or other soft shells. I have played a small builder Keller maple kit with wood hoops in a nice room (multi band set up and the guy was really proud of them so I was fine with using his) and they had a very nice warm tone even with open clear heads. Maybe the difference between that and other sharp edged Keller kits I've played is similar to the difference between coated and clear heads.

No, I haven't. I mean, I have played kits with wood hoops before, but haven't tried it on my kit.

Let me show you guys what I'm working with, and maybe that will help.

I've got a Pork Pie Little Squealer kit. So, idk if it will make a difference either way. If you guys think it won't change my sound too much, then I'd like to switch to wood hoops. I'm gonna stain them ebony satin just like the shells, and I want to switch all my hardware to brass. I could always just go with the black version of the hoops I have on my kit now, if it will make a big difference.
2012-10-30_15-17-32_548_zps46c2eb65.jpg.html

edit: does photobucket not work for this site?
What style of hoops are you thinking of fitting. If I know that, then I can advise you.

What style of hoops are you thinking of fitting. If I know that, then I can advise you.

I found some on drumbuilder.com that are counter sunk, so I wouldn't need any claws.

http://www.drummaker.com/share?wd126r

Hopefully that link will work. The more I think about it now, the more I think I would be fine with just getting black triple-flanged hoops instead. I'd be saving about $20 per drum. And it looks like I'm gonna have to fork over a decent chunk of money for Pork Pie lugs.

I have used those countersunk wood hoops from Drumfactory. They are well made and I have had no problems with them tightly tuned on my snare.
I have had them for several years now.
They make a nice warm sound and rim shots are really pronounced.
I have a 6 piece kit that currently has powder coated die cast hoops that I am going to convert to all wood hoops in the near future.

I say go for it if you want them.

Gah, I can't make my mind up. I keep going back and forth on it. It looks like it's gonna end up costing me close to $500 for everything I want to do. But, I think if I just do it a little bit at a time, it won't seem so bad at all.

I love my drums, and I'd rather just mod/improve upon them rather than sell them and have to fork out much more to upgrade. I just love the wood hoop look, and I think it would make my kit that much better to put them on, and stain them ebony satin to match the shells.

Here's the kind of look I'm going for. I don't want the gold stripe on the shells, and I want the tension rods to all be brass instead of half brass, half black.

Attachments

• DV016_Jpg_Large_482353.771_flat_black_gold_stripe.jpg
    DV016_Jpg_Large_482353.771_flat_black_gold_stripe.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 147
It depends what you play but I always felt they got in my way a little.. They're bulky and they are a little bit harder to rimshot consistently. It's hard to describe how they make the drum sound different but the stick attack is different when it comes to rimshots.

This is an ancient video of me playing my akira snare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0i8GJVsrlo

I think it sounds good but I've just ordered some metal hoops for it finally.

Back