I hate to do it...

3rd Wheel

but I have to quit a band I quite enjoy playing in.

I've been playing with a world music band since September of 09. The music is great, some originals and covers, we play reggae, samba and some afro/cuban influence type stuff, oh and some funk as well. As with most bands, there are some things to clean up as a unit, but over all not a bad gig..my problem is with the percussionist.

He's this this guy from Brazil with a lot of love and energy, problem is, he plays each song like it's an entire solo for him. He plays too loud and over the top - ALL THE TIME. He can't speak English very well. The other guys talk to him and try to coach him to try and be more subtle, bringing the volume down and not playing over the singer, and over all try to bring some musicality into the mix. He nods yes, but then it's always solo after solo, and the volume is quadruple forte with this guy.

We have all tried talking to him about this, but then the guys will say with him in the room that he is our secret weapon (I'm thinking cause he's Brazilian, the other guys think it gives us more credibility.) I've asked what they mean by that but I never get a clear cut answer.

After countless going no where rehearsals, gigs where somehow this cat gets in a 2-3 minute solo each song, gigs where we had to cut out songs cause this guy is soloing forever and used up time - I decided rather than criticize the band or this guy, it's best I step out. It's very apparent the rest of my band loves him - OH!! I forgot to mention, his new thing is stepping from behind his rig, standing next to our singer and dancing..last week he did the running man while playing his tumbadora!! I wish I was making this up.

I've talked to everyone, and him as well to no avail. I gave it my best since September 09, yeah, I just can't do it anymore...just had to vent to you guys.

I think you're handling this just right...take the high road. Look for a better fit for how you want to play music. something better will surface.

Wow...sorry to laugh at your pain, but the running man thing just wore me out. A guy with sticks sure can make a ruckus, right? I feel really bad for you but don't think you should quit. This guy is a lesson in acceptance. If the crowd enjoys it, and the band likes it, can't you just surrender and have fun with it? They won't know you're laughing at him. It's good practice for lead singers too.

*runs for cover*

If you haven't seen the "flight of the concords" episode where an annoying bongo player gets injected to the band, you really should. You'll relate.

http://youtu.be/yyUGqbcTLCA ---Be sure to check out around the 3:40 mark.

On a more serious note, there's no way I would put up with that crap for very long.

Tell your band mates that if they use the secret weapon too much during every song, it kinda ruins the effect of a "secret weapon". Audiences don't like that crap, either.

flight of the conchords was great! Kiwi Spinal Tap
if you dont like how the bongo player plays, get rid of him.

I think it would annoy me after a while. When it comes to Latin music, we are usually the ones that give it the sound. Percussionists are in my opinion, overated in some parts. You provide the back bone to this music, he just seems to be showing off. Without a a back beat, the band will fall apart. Because I am sure Mr Brazillian needs you to keep him in time, just like the rest of the band. Let them do a few practices without you. I bet you will recieving a phone call only 10 mins later :)

Jay

Another ego!

Yeah, take the hight road if it really upsets you and leave. They'll miss you. Music should be about having fun, not leave you with the bad feelings and anger.

Wow...sorry to laugh at your pain, but the running man thing just wore me out. A guy with sticks sure can make a ruckus, right? I feel really bad for you but don't think you should quit. This guy is a lesson in acceptance. If the crowd enjoys it, and the band likes it, can't you just surrender and have fun with it? They won't know you're laughing at him. It's good practice for lead singers too.

*runs for cover*

At every rehearsal, I sit at the kit with my head bowed going thru things in my head , like, "Just have fun, your taking yourself too seriously - the rest of the band loves this guy and especially our singer, so don't rock the boat with your opinions - be accepting and help this guy out the best you can" - but in addition to his onstage goofball antics, musically this guy can be too much to deal with and his lack of understanding how to compliment the music gets to be a burden because the rest of the band is looking at me to wrangle him in..Oh well, I really have tried my best to be a team player, but I'm feeling at times we're crashing and burning..

Go to www.reverbnation.com and look up Palavra, world music, El Cerrito, California..there should be a song called Garoto there amongst others. I will graciously accept any critique!!

I know how you feel home skillet. We're having major issues with our singer right now. None of us have ever missed a single practice, except him. He'll come in and do two songs with us, and then claim he's going to eat. And then he might show up 10 minutes before time for us to quit. (We practice in a shopping center building, so we have to stop practicing by 10:00 P.M)

We've lectured him twice about his negative actions, but everytime we try to get rid of him, he comes up with this inspiring pep talk that gets him right back in the driver's seat. And I enjoy playing with the band so much, I really can't quit.

If you haven't seen the "flight of the concords" episode where an annoying bongo player gets injected to the band, you really should. You'll relate.

http://youtu.be/yyUGqbcTLCA ---Be sure to check out around the 3:40 mark.

On a more serious note, there's no way I would put up with that crap for very long.

Tell your band mates that if they use the secret weapon too much during every song, it kinda ruins the effect of a "secret weapon". Audiences don't like that crap, either.

That video was hilarious!....and agree on your second comment...if you're not happy in the band....

I think it would annoy me after a while. When it comes to Latin music, we are usually the ones that give it the sound. Percussionists are in my opinion, overated in some parts. You provide the back bone to this music, he just seems to be showing off. Without a a back beat, the band will fall apart. Because I am sure Mr Brazillian needs you to keep him in time, just like the rest of the band. Let them do a few practices without you. I bet you will recieving a phone call only 10 mins later :)

Jay

There is plenty of Latin music that has no drum set at all, and in fact Latin music evolved well before newcomer instruments like the Western drum set. With Latin music, the percussionists are actually the backbone of the band (although that doesn't give any musician the right to be obnoxious).

In any case, I think 3rd Wheel has gone about it the right way and any more complaining about it will just turn everyone against him. Is there anyone else in the band who is annoyed with this musical blowhard - certainly the singer? Find and and see if they want to split too and form a band of mature, seasoned musicians.

I have to say that having the percussionist getting up and dancing is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on how it's done. In indigenous Latin music, the wall between dancer/musician/audience is not always as rigid as with Western music. To me, it boils down to: How does the audience respond to the percussionist getting up and dancing?

To me, it boils down to: How does the audience respond to the percussionist getting up and dancing?

Well, it was two fold - there's a group of friends the percussionist and singer bring, an all Brazilian/Portuguese crowd that loved it. Then there were people there who went to see the opening act and their crew, who during our set, would from time time to time put their fingers in their ears and make faces as if to say, "What in the world is going there!"

People there who went to eat sushi and enjoy a drink not knowing there would be bands playing - well, when we came on, and no doubt due to LOUD ASS TUMBADORAS - left. How do I know? Cause I saw this woman tell her date to let's go, as they were getting up she pointed at us, did a conga playing motion with her hands, then put her fingers in her ears...

Well, it was two fold - there's a group of friends the percussionist and singer bring, an all Brazilian/Portuguese crowd that loved it. Then there were people there who went to see the opening act and their crew, who during our set, would from time time to time put their fingers in their ears and make faces as if to say, "What in the world is going there!"

People there who went to eat sushi and enjoy a drink not knowing there would be bands playing - well, when we came on, and no doubt due to LOUD ASS TUMBADORAS - left. How do I know? Cause I saw this woman tell her date to let's go, as they were getting up she pointed at us, did a conga playing motion with her hands, then put her fingers in her ears...

Sounds like different expectations between different cultural groups. The Brazilians are more festive and may even expect this kind of behavior. Anglos/North Americans are more reserved and view the performance as clownish and overbearing.

Sounds like you need to find a group of people you can click with on different levels - musically, culturally and professionally. At the very least, you got some great experience playing with this band and it will serve you well in the future.

I have never played with a percussionist but i guess i would just live with. You certainly need some wierd dudes to point out the ones you think are serious and okay. In my former band we were 4 guys playing metal cause of the 1 lead singer wo liked metallica. We told him that we wanted to play something else like Coldplay or some rather soft rock. But he kept saying it was boring. At a very odd time our second guitarist left the band. And I guess i did too. It was really lame. Remember to hate lead-singers....

Go to www.reverbnation.com and look up Palavra, world music, El Cerrito, California..there should be a song called Garoto there amongst others. I will graciously accept any critique!!

not bad! not bad at all! i love your singer. she sounds plain sexy with that cool portuguese singing. that's a good song too and very well played by everyone. if it weren't for the crazy, show stealing percussionist i would love to be in a band like this.

i was half expecting the percussionist to be on top of the mix in this recording, but if anything he sounds buried in the mix. i can hear your drums just fine though (nice playing!) it must be different live for you guys. do you have any youtube videos showing what you're talking about?

Let me throw another thing into the mix.

How much does it pay?

If the answer is nothing or almost nothing then even taking cultural acknowledgements into consideration, I personally would move on.

I play percussion. I've played with good percussionists. I've played with 'hacks' as well (percussion 'owners'). I also have met a few Brazilians and can sense the difference between our (U.S.) culture and theirs.

However, I believe there are poor musicians in every culture. Do you believe that Paulinho Da Costa or Airto displayed this type of playing when they started out? That wouldn't match up with their careers even though both are Brazilian born and raised before coming to the U.S. They've both enjoyed stellar success and I'd think that they acted and played in accordance with whatever gigs they took required.

Whether a cultural issue or not, if you're playing for enjoyment, find something else that fits and let the next guy deal with it - at least for a season. Don't burn the bridge with the other players but gently communicate why you are leaving and that should things change, you'd be open to trying another go at it.

My .02

Jim

My New Facebook Musician Page

i listened to a couple of your band's live recordings and i have a better idea of what you're talking about. that guy is very skilled and definitely a good percussionist when it comes to chops, but i noticed that he was playing an almost non-stop percussion solo during every verse. he doesn't seem too loud in the mix, but he is definitely a busy guy. i know from experience that going crazy on the drums is a major no-no when the singer is singing, especially in the verses. but if your singer likes him then it'll be hard for you to convince her that he's overplaying.

i listened to a couple of your band's live recordings and i have a better idea of what you're talking about. that guy is very skilled and definitely a good percussionist when it comes to chops, but i noticed that he was playing an almost non-stop percussion solo during every verse. he doesn't seem too loud in the mix, but he is definitely a busy guy. i know from experience that going crazy on the drums is a major no-no when the singer is singing, especially in the verses. but if your singer likes him then it'll be hard for you to convince her that he's overplaying.

Yes! Solos during verses and over the singer is whats killing me! He does have the technique to be a great player, but he loves the attention. We do have some youtube footage of us, but it was our first gig and he was under control - go to www.youtube.com and look up Palavra/Ashkenaz...

Do you have foldback or IEMs?? Give the percussionist a mix whereby he is much louder - then he'll have to play softer so he can hear the rest of you...... ;-)

Back