Thinking about a new snare drum....

Muse FTW

But I can't decide.

I don't want to spend over $400 but would like a nice snare which could range from Hard Rock to Metal to Progressive.

I've been thinking of a Ludwig Black Beauty or a Supra-phonic because I they sound heavenly in person. I have also heard that these snares are amazing (primarily from this forum)

I have also considered some signature snares like Stewart Copeland Snare from Tama, and maybe the Mike Portnoy snare. Do any of you have any experience with either? I haven't been able to try out either of these.

FYI I have a Tama Superstar Hyper Drive Custom (Maple)

Just for my information, has anybody tried the Jimmy DeGrasso snare? I've been wanting to know if that's any good (my brother is a HUGE Megadeth fan although I can't stand half of their music [no music war please]).

Thanks in advance for the info!

The MP is a great snare, but it's maple. (Unless referring to the 12" side snare).

I have to think of those choices, the supra or BB will be the most versatile and return the most owner satisfaction.

Well I have been playing for 35 years now and I have played a bunch of different types of snare drums. And I have to say my 6.5 Supraphonic is by far the best snare drum I have played. It always sounds great and very versatile for the different musical situations I find myself in. I'm not a big fan of the Signature snare drums. I think you are better off just getting a standard model drum, a lot of times you are just paying for the signature and not really gaining anything. That is just my opinion.

I thought I would give you some more information about these signature drums and why I'm not a big fan of them. First for example Yamaha has the Gadd signature snare drum, well years ago Gadd always recorded on a 5.5 Ludwig Supraphonic even though he plays Yamaha. His best work was done on a Supra. Ian Paice has a signature drum from Pearl, but in the hay day of Deep Purple he was playing a Supraphonic as well. And now DW has the Peart signature snare drum but for years he has always played a 5 1/2 x 14" wood Slingerland snare drum that he always got refinished to match whatever kit he was playing at the time. In fact I would be very surprised if he is using a different snare today because in a MD article years ago he talks about how he will never part from his Slingerland snare. So if you want a snare sound of a famous drummer really look at what drum they were playing that established their sound. I'm done preaching. I just think the signature series drums are just a way for a drum companies to sell drums. Later.

I love my 14x6.5 Yamaha beech custom snare, I know its not a sig. snare but man its a phenomenal wood for snares. It cuts and projects beautifully. I've had huge compliments on the snare and have been told by many that it would record beautifully although I haven't recorded with it yet.
Many have described beech as a mix b/w maple and birch, but really beech has its own unique sound. But I guess if you had to describe it you can say it cuts like birch but also has that maple roundness/projection to it.
Seriously I don't know why Beech is not a more popular wood, I guess Maple and Birch are the trend. I don't believe in trends, I believe in what I like to hear.
I may or may not sell my kit someday, but no matter what I do that snare will stay with me forever. I will pass it on. In fact I will be in the market for another of a different colour soon.

I would definitely say a 6.5 x 14 Ludwig Supraphonic Snare.

The only good timeless snare there is.....in my mind anyway.

I thought I would give you some more information about these signature drums and why I'm not a big fan of them. First for example Yamaha has the Gadd signature snare drum, well years ago Gadd always recorded on a 5.5 Ludwig Supraphonic even though he plays Yamaha. His best work was done on a Supra. Ian Paice has a signature drum from Pearl, but in the hay day of Deep Purple he was playing a Supraphonic as well. And now DW has the Peart signature snare drum but for years he has always played a 5 1/2 x 14" wood Slingerland snare drum that he always got refinished to match whatever kit he was playing at the time. In fact I would be very surprised if he is using a different snare today because in a MD article years ago he talks about how he will never part from his Slingerland snare. So if you want a snare sound of a famous drummer really look at what drum they were playing that established their sound. I'm done preaching. I just think the signature series drums are just a way for a drum companies to sell drums. Later.

Thank you so much that really made my choice!

Now I just have to decide between Ludwig Black Beauty or Ludwig Supra-Phonic!

Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14 is one of the most commonly used drums in 60's, 70's and 80's rock music. John Bonham from Led Zeppelin had it as his main snare for years.

I thought I would give you some more information about these signature drums and why I'm not a big fan of them. First for example Yamaha has the Gadd signature snare drum, well years ago Gadd always recorded on a 5.5 Ludwig Supraphonic even though he plays Yamaha. His best work was done on a Supra. I

The other thing I found odd... seems to me that there have been wood and metal Gadd snares from yamaha. People are buying the birch model, even though he recorded on a metal supra at least, if not a yamaha.

It depends on what you like. It depends on the music you primarily play. I'd buy one you think you like, put on your favorite heads and then play it for a week. If you don't like it, put the original heads back on and return it, and try again with another and so on until you find one that you don't want to return.

the Tama Metalworks snares come in several good sizes, have a great crack to them and are very reasonably priced - check 'em out!

yea, i agree, get the Black Beauty or the Supra. Other notable mentions are the Yamaha Steel Snare, and any of the Pork Pies are good

Thank you so much that really made my choice!

Now I just have to decide between Ludwig Black Beauty or Ludwig Supra-Phonic!

You are welcome. So now you are deciding between a Black Beauty or a Supra-Phonic, well you can't go wrong either way!! Good Luck

Back