yeas another: new kit or cymbals post?

CaptainSticks

well basically the title says it all, i saved up a good save of money to where i could spend it right now and buy a new ride and splash or keep saving for a new kit.

my current cymbals set up is:

13' paiste signature soundedge hat
17' zildjian A custom crash
18' sabian AA suspended orchastral crash
20' zildjian ZXT titanium rock ride
20' china(i do not know any more info, bought it used from my old drum teacher) with rivets
10' zildjian ZXT titanium flash splash(gotten warped over the years, but has a unique sound)
14' meinl classics china

as for my drums:
i just have a standard Pearl EXport around 4 years old

i was thinking about getting a paiste signature 21' dry heavy ride and maybe an A custom splash.

anyway long-story short, can you guys possibly try and convince me which way to go, so i wont be stuck thinking for a while.

-thanks,
Brendan(sorry if that was a long post)

pearl exports are a good kit and new heads are a cheap but effective way to change / improve your kits sound, so i'd say cymbals, good luck!

already have newish heads, they are maybe 5 months old...

g1s on bottom and ec2s on top for the toms, super kick 2 on bass, high energy on snare.
i dont know tuning the tom(s) is for me is kinda hard. if i tune them they sound okay near loose tension but the tighter is it makes it sound pingy i guess, cant really describe it.

-thanks for replying by the way, i thought this post was going to die, i find it hard for me to decide on choices

I'd have to say a new kit. Your cymbals are perfectly fine, and are pretty good if not really good.

looks to me as though you have a great cymbal set up I would be looking into another kit personally...check out eBay and find a good used one!

I would get a new kit, GO SONOR!!!. I don't have one but they're great.

My vote is for cymbals and maybe new heads.

I'm not suggesting to replace all the cymbals. Just the ZXT's.
The original post stated that he was thinking of replacing the ride and splash.

Anyway, what is the total budget for upgrades? A new kit that is better than an export is going to cost a few times
the price of a new ride and splash.

Wayne

i agree, get a new set. The cymbals you have are fine. If you have tuning problems, try getting a yamaha or a gretsch, they tune very well and stayed tuned.

New set, you have a nice line up in the way of cymbals :]

yeah my initial idea is buy a ride/splash now, or save and work toward a new set.

im leaning toward kit now, i would spend around 400 on a ride(thinking about dry heavy ride 21', or an a custom in my "local" shop(1hr drive).

but i was actually thinking of getting a gretsch renown maple or sonor 3007, i played the gretsch and it was amazing, nice tone, warmth, bass was punchy. but sonor is basically my favorite brand, though i have yet to try the 3007, but i hear they are good.

anyway the most i really would want to spend on a kit would be around 1600.

I would take a Gretsch renown over a force 3007 even though I'm a Sonor guy. The Gretsch renown is my favorite kit in it's price range especially with the deals that I've seen for them.
North American maple, die cast hoops and comes with great evans heads.

For 1600 you may be able to get a Gretsch Renown and a ride.
check out this thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46300

Wayne

Last edited:
thanks, i though the renown were around 1600, or atleast on musiciansfriend. though im not going to order from there.

the drum circuit in San Louis obispo, CA is my main choice to order from, maybe they will have a deal...

I would take a Gretch renown over a force 3007 even though I'm a Sonor guy. The Gretch renown is my favorite kit in it's price range especially with the deals that I've seen for them.
North American maple, die cast hoops and comes with great evans heads.

For 1600 you may be able to get a Gretch Renown and a ride.
check out this thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46300

Wayne

okay basically i scrapped the idea for a new ride and splash and now im going for a new kit. i want a gretsch renown maple, but im curious about the pork pie little squealer kit can anyone give me an idea on how they sound for those who have played them.

okay basically i scrapped the idea for a new ride and splash and now im going for a new kit. i want a gretsch renown maple, but im curious about the pork pie little squealer kit can anyone give me an idea on how they sound for those who have played them.

I like the Mapex black panther cherry/maple better than the little squealer. It has more tuning range, and 2.3mm s hoops as well as a dual sided strainer (12x7) It's better looking and only $106-$110

Have you considered getting a set of mics and a mixer so you can simply make the kit you have record the way you want? You'd be amazed how an export mics up.

I like the Mapex black panther cherry/maple better than the little squealer. It has more tuning range, and 2.3mm s hoops as well as a dual sided strainer (12x7) It's better looking and only $106-$110

Have you considered getting a set of mics and a mixer so you can simply make the kit you have record the way you want? You'd be amazed how an export mics up.

i mean the actual PP little squealer kit. i havent really heard much about, im curious.

but i dont really need to record. my current band is just starting to write, later on we are ready we are going to my guitarists teacher's studio to make a demo.

Check eBay. I see a set of Renown's in Blue (5 piece) w/hardware for $1199. I'm saving for the Renown Bubinga Purewood kit (drool).

Peace

Back