Blake Richardson + Tomas Haake + Elliot Hoffman

I

I_Wanna_Be_So_Good

Hey all, so I'm new here, but I've been on a drum kick lately (thank god). I've really started getting addicted to getting better (again), and have been 'studying' the above drummers.
I really like Blakes hands, and his syncopation between the drums and guitar, you know, the way he "plays the guitar parts on the drums" from time to time. It just fits so well. This is fairly recent, and for the past couple months I've been half-assed trying to learn 'Obfuscation' from TGMD. A big problem with this, is that sometimes I find it hard to make out what he's doing. I probably should mention I only learn by ear, and also that I'm not trying to turn myself into a blake clone, but I definitely want some of that in my playing (~Progressive Thrash Metal).
Tomas Haake has always been a HUGE influence. There are times where Meshuggah enters my cd player in my truck and doesn't leave for weeks or months... some times even the same album ha!
Elliot Hoffman (carbomb) does probably the most phenominal snare work I've ever heard. Occasionally I'll throw on the Centralia album and sit behind the drum kit and fail/improv my way through the album; I've listened to it so many times that I have it memorized in my head, all the changes and feels, even if I don't actually know how to play it.

My question is this (maybe this should be in the techniques forum?):
What other drummers should I be listening to that could compliment what I'm hearing in these drummers to help expand myself on the kit? I also frequently watch Alex Rudinger on youtube, but haven't gotten around to learning any of his music.

I would suggest Jay Postones from TesseracT. He's quite unlike any prog metal drummer I've heard. Anup Sastry from Skyharbor and Intervals is another monster.

Definitely will do, I've heard of TesseracT, I actually just listened to a couple tracks, Nocturne and some of Concealing Fate Part II. Could you recommend some tracks where he's really demonstrating his ability? I've also heard the name Skyharbor, but have not listened to them. I'll have to check them out after work.

Thanks for the response!

I recommend looking at various drum videos of them (Postones and Sastry) playing on youtube. Anup has quite a presence there with a lot of playing. Check out his Intervals playthrough videos. Jay has drum cams of several pieces as well.

Transcribing might be something to try as well. There was a thread recently about software for that, I believe. Often with extremely complex parts, I put a metronome to the music in Audacity, slow it down, and notate it hit-for-hit. Matt Garstka sells some transcriptions on his site as well.

I recommend looking at various drum videos of them (Postones and Sastry) playing on youtube. Anup has quite a presence there with a lot of playing. Check out his Intervals playthrough videos. Jay has drum cams of several pieces as well.

Transcribing might be something to try as well. There was a thread recently about software for that, I believe. Often with extremely complex parts, I put a metronome to the music in Audacity, slow it down, and notate it hit-for-hit. Matt Garstka sells some transcriptions on his site as well.

I do that from time to time. I transcribed the intro to celophane stiletto by carbomb, just because I couldn't simply "pick it up". Who do postones and sastry play for?

I do that from time to time. I transcribed the intro to celophane stiletto by carbomb, just because I couldn't simply "pick it up". Who do postones and sastry play for?

Jay plays for Tesseract. Anup has a bunch of solo djent albums but also plays with Intervals and Skyharbor, as well as a couple other assorted projects. Obviously Garstka plays with Animals as Leaders.

Jay plays for Tesseract. Anup has a bunch of solo djent albums but also plays with Intervals and Skyharbor, as well as a couple other assorted projects. Obviously Garstka plays with Animals as Leaders.

Yea Matt's a machine. I need to get a legitimate copy of aal. I have weightless and joy, but only a burnt copy of the self titled. It also doesn't have thoroughly at home on it, it has song of solomon as track 3 as well as it's original place (like 7 or 8 or something)... and that's his best demonstrating track =/

Back