Aluminum Die Cast Hoops

ggmerino

Anyone know where I can find a pair of 14" 10-hole aluminum die cast hoops. I know Yamaha makes them, but I cannot find them anywhere.

I think they would go swell on my new 6.5" acrolite! Thanks.

They pop up on Ebay once in a while.Why not contact a Yamaha authorized dealer,I'm sure they know the deal,and could possibly order one as a spare/replacement part.That will dry out an already dry sounding drum.The last one I saw on ebay went for 65 US.Good luck.

Steve B

You can order them from any dealer (kind of pricey though). I sold a couple pairs myself a few months ago.

I had them on my Ludwig Supraphonic. They worked well, but I prefer the regular steel or zinc die cast hoops myself.

Used on eBay is your best bet.
Only Yamaha make them. 14" new from Yamaha will be over $100 each.
I have 4 Yamaha kits with them and I also put them on one of my Hipgig kits.
Love 'em!

Neal

OK- Yamaha parts will sell them, but for $150 each- crazy!

Will have to wait on ebay I suppose. Saw a snare side on ebay for a somewhat reasonable price but really want both.

I wonder how that thing would sound with wood hoops or the hoops that Drum Foundry has that are single flanged and use the hoop clips. They have some made by Pearl that look pretty good.. Hard to say....

Last edited:
...or the hoops that Drum Foundry has that are single flanged and don't need the hoop claws. Hard to say....

I have been curious to try those. I'm guessing they're steel but I do wonder what thickness they are and if the change in tone in noticeable enough to justify $100 for a set.

Others have ordered those from China and have been happy. I got two sets and both were crap. First set arrived as two batter hoops, one bent, which I straightened and one with super crappy dull finish. Some spots have no chrome at all. I bought from two different buyers and both went dark after payment.

The second set arrives as the correct set, but finish is still rough. I was still happy to have tried them, but they look like crap. I also gained very little sound wise on my Gretsch Cast Aluminum. Maybe a touch more open, but I couldn’t stand looking at them. They are certainly lighter than standard cast hoops. With all the talk about cast hoops on here, I was expecting miracles I suppose, but there just wasn’t much there. Maybe because I really like the openness and flexibility of that drum as is. May be just the ticket on an Acro, but seems folks love those as is too.

For ~$35 I suppose they are worth experimenting, but the fact that someone can dump junk from China and run is something to be considered. Every one of those sellers must be either related or the same person. They all say they are from the same area and sell thins as diverse as a garage sale.

Best of luck. Maybe everyone else’s experience will be better.

Maybe everyone else’s experience will be better.
Mine seem to be pretty nice. Not exactly like the Yamahas, but definitely worth the price paid. Chrome is fine, and they're not warped. Amazing, considering how they were packed...

For your Gretsch snare I recommend getting Ludwig or Gretsch die cast hoops, which are probably zinc. They will cut out some high harmonics, but I really liked die cast hoops on my Gretsch solid steel and chrome over brass.

Mine seem to be pretty nice. Not exactly like the Yamahas, but definitely worth the price paid. Chrome is fine, and they're not warped. Amazing, considering how they were packed...

For your Gretsch snare I recommend getting Ludwig or Gretsch die cast hoops, which are probably zinc. They will cut out some high harmonics, but I really liked die cast hoops on my Gretsch solid steel and chrome over brass.

They already have DC hoops. Just figured I’d try something different for the price and see what difference there was. By no means unhappy with them with DC hoops.

They already have DC hoops. Just figured I’d try something different for the price and see what difference there was. By no means unhappy with them with DC hoops.

Got it. I tend to prefer the heavier zinc ones, but the aluminum ones are pretty good. I think I prefer the aluminum ones on tom-toms.

Others have ordered those from China and have been happy. I got two sets and both were crap. First set arrived as two batter hoops, one bent, which I straightened and one with super crappy dull finish. Some spots have no chrome at all. I bought from two different buyers and both went dark after payment

Best of luck. Maybe everyone else’s experience will be better.

The first set I got were decent, but the second set (from a different seller, but they look identical, shape-wise) have really poor chrome plating. I mean, horrible. Still, for the price, I can use them on something sooner or later.

The first set I got were decent, but the second set (from a different seller, but they look identical, shape-wise) have really poor chrome plating. I mean, horrible. Still, for the price, I can use them on something sooner or later.

I can’t imag these things are being sourced from different vendors. It’s just the luck of the draw I guess. My chrome plating is more like what chrome plating in some spots.

I can’t imag these things are being sourced from different vendors. It’s just the luck of the draw I guess. My chrome plating is more like what chrome plating in some spots.

Why do aluminum rims have chrome plating on them anyway? Aluminum is far better at corrosion resistance.

China is one of the largest producers of aluminum in the world. Add that to the number of drum making companies in China it makes sense that they have smaller companies producing cast aluminum hoops. I'd wouldn't be surprised if the Yamahas are cast there. I bought two pairs of the cheaper hoops off the same eBay dealer. They've both worked out well. I put one pair on a problematic brass snare and now it tunes right up. The other pair went on a Supra and they are doing good as well. The chrome plating was okay on both pairs and both pair of hoops were in round and not misshapen in any other way. I always look at the feedback for the seller and read some of them so that I can get a good idea what they're like to deal with. I don't know if we can put specific dealer's IDs up here. Just PM me if you're interested. In both cases I coated and polished the hoops with a cleaning car wax. It helps protect them and you can buff them up every now and then.

Why do aluminum rims have chrome plating on them anyway? Aluminum is far better at corrosion resistance.

Probably just for aesthetics. I would be fine with smooth, polished aluminum with no chrome too. Chrome plating is pretty nasty for the environment, as well as the workers.

Back