Heading to New Orleans in a couple weeks

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey all,

I'll be going to New Orleans in a couple weeks for the first time. I'll be going for a few days (Oct. 23-27) for a student journalism conference, but will be able to go out every night. I intend to see as much music as possible while still being able to remember it when I return home (I turn 21 not long before).

Just want any must-go-to clubs, bars, and other venues. I jotted down a few shows that will be at Preservation Hall, Maison, Maple Leaf, Tipitina's, Chickie Wah Wah, Rock N' Bowl, and House of Blues.

Anyone who's been or who lives there, please let me know of any clubs or bands that are playing around then that I should check out. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Preservation Hall, Tipitina's, and House of Blues are all easy walking distance to the French Quarter. Rock n' Bowl requires a car or cab from French Quarter (takes a while to get a cab on the way back, kind of isolated) but if it's the right show girls dancing on the bar!!. There were also a half dozen or so live music venues (blues, jazz, rock, and zydeco) right on Bourbon St. Enjoy it's a wild town even without Mardi Gras.

Look up where Johnny Vidacovich is playing. SICK player, will change the way you think about groove & greasy N.O. vibe.

reminds me about his GREAT comments RE Steve Gadd's "about time" documentary (this already out?):

"he sounds like he's from the south...sound like an old fat dude from the south":
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8O48wIcPgU&feature=player_detailpage#t=260

"settles in on 4":
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8O48wIcPgU&feature=player_detailpage#t=85

Already penciled his band "The Trio" into my schedule. They're playing at the Maple Leaf the night we get in. I'm going from the airport to the hotel, to the club. Hahaha

Be sure to stop by Cafe du Monde for their world-famous beignets.

Just wander the French Quarter and you will hear great music all over the place.

Just to let you all know, I've been to countless bars whose name I didn't notice or don't remember. I have to say the same thing about the bands I've seen, though I did get to see Sting (with Vinnie Colaiuta) while he was doing a private concert and Bootsy Collins Unity Funk Band last night. Missed Johnny Vidacovich, but I've seen more than enough already to make up for it.

Had the beignets at Cafe du Monde, rode on the Mississippi, rented a bike, had a hurricane, and probably more regretful tourist stuff. Heading out in a little while to see Big Sam's Funky Nation, but I need to catch a nap first.

I need to move out here...

Back