DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Back to drumming after several years... "I suck!"

Hey Fellow drummers, I'm new to Drummerworld here but scrolling thru as a guest and reading, I've found that there are tons of experience and knowledge here by other musicians and it's great to be able to talk "drums" with others in the know.
I played drums for about 10 years and then took about a 12 year break from it after getting married, raising a family etc... Priorities first you know?..anyway, my question is have any of you taken such a long break from drumming as this and what was your playing like when you started back?.. Ill be the first to admit.. I suck bad! My technique is awful, my timing is awful, and it's almost like starting all over again and learning from scratch. I know what I want to play in my head but everything is so off! I'm afraid I'm slowly losing interest in drumming because of it... Any of you (old timers) gone thru this?.. Did you have the same issues? Thanks for your responses in advance and again, it's great to find so many knowledgable drummers in one place!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Back to drumming after several years... "I suck!"

I played an acoustic kit in my late teens to early 20's. Quit when life happened and after a 30 year break (I'm 57), got back into drumming... with an E-Kit.

For me, over all those years, I kind of had in my head doing drum stuff, so mentally I was staying in time, listening to fills, tearing apart song structure. Tap things out in the steering wheel or my desk.

So when I jumped back in with both feet, I was rusty, but got it back fairly quickly. A few months probably. Fact is for me, I know I play way better than when I did young. I'm just a different person. Take things more seriously music wise AND try not to let things bother me. For instance, I'm thrown challenges all the time on new songs. Instead of freaking... I calm down, take it slow and build up.

And if you are anything like me, I need to practice... a lot!!! I can get by being OK, but I know I'm better practicing everyday.

Don't lose that drive. Figure out what works for you and keep the momentum going.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Yeah, it's been quite difficult getting back into things. Equipment has changed, drums have changed, it's a whole new world to me right now but well get back in the groove of things before long. After 2 elbow surgeries, both carpel tunnel surgeries and a back surgery from years past, the wrists and arm flexibility just aren't there from years past and it's somewhat frustrating at times.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

It takes a while. I only took about a 6 year break. And you are right, everything changed over the years. I bought a new kit for the first time since the 80's, and the way things are tuned, and set up are all different now.

Do lots of forum reading, check out peoples kits. Go to open jams. I've been back at it for 4 years now, and I've finally moved ahead from where I was when I gigged all the time. There was a long frustrating stretch of knowing what I wanted my hands and arms to do, but not having them respond. Keep at it, its worth it.

I also bought a good edrum kit, it really helped me a lot.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Great advice there Whiteknightx, everything really has changed! ( for the good) I must say. Drums resonate more, equipment is better, and the cymbal choices are unreal!.. The information that's available now via drum forums, youtube, etc. is a drummers dream and something I never had when I was playing a few years ago. Back then, if you wanted to learn a certain lick that you heard on a song, you either bought the sheet music and learned it or figured it out trial and error. Ha!.. There's no excuse for not learning this day and time with the abundant of information out there.. Thanks again guys, your input is much appreciated and encouraging at the same time!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Big G....it'll come back if you practice. I took a 40 year hiatus and started up about a year ago. Brain remembered all the stuff I played, but muscles said "are you kidding?".....keep in mind I not only played professionally, but when not gigging, etc., I practiced at least 8, sometimes 10 or 12 hours a day, everyday. After the time away, it took a few months to get it together again. Big difference for me is not technique or laying down rhythms, it's stamina. Things are not the same when you're a geezer. Best of luck and have fun with it Big G
Old 03-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Gold Member

Some days I go into the practice room after having not played for a week or so (like last night) and just couldn't bring my flow into focus for some reason and that makes me feel sucky.

Oftentimes it's not your playing that feels off, it's your flow.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
... Big difference for me is not technique or laying down rhythms, it's stamina. Things are not the same when you're a geezer. Best of luck and have fun with it Big G
same for me: 53 yo, got me a Roland TD-11K about two months ago after a 20-year hiatus and stamina/speed/flexibility in the joints are the major issues.

trying to play at least half an hour each day (but that's not always possible) and I think I feel things are slowly coming back.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 PM

Played in my teens and 20s and then got back at 55. I decided to try to do it right and devoted a lot of time initially doing rudiments to get my chops back (mixed with playing to keep it fun). I try to always be learning a new technique to keep my motivation going (e.g. halftime shuffle, Bonham triplets). Go for it!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

I took off about 4 years when I moved into a townhouse and wasn't able to practice. It took a long time to get back to where I was. But Billy Ray hit the nail on the head; even now if I take a few days or a week off, it just doesn't feel right. It is like my brain tells my hands what to do and they just don't respond. Very similar to when I try to run after not running for a while and I feel sluggish and slow.
Keep at it, go back to basics and practice your rudiments. It will come back..just not over night.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 AM

Hey...
Lots of us 50 something's getting back into it. After donating my double bass Vistalites to the local High School about 20 years ago, the urge to get back my chops was too strong to resist. ( or maybe to much beer and Styx in the garage!) I found a Pearl Export for a couple hundred bucks on Craigslist and have been working on it for the last couple of months. I can see it, feel it, just can't quite do it.........yet😊
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

I'm getting back in the game after 18 or so years. Same as you...marriage, kids all that good stuff. I've found that a lot has changed...the stuff I want to play is really different from what I played as a kid into my 20s. I played a lot for 20 years and find that my brain says go, but my limbs can't get there yet.

One thing I think I have now is more maturity, patience and hopefully discipline. I took lessons and practiced a lot in the early years, but I focused on rocking out. Now I'm really interested in approaching drums in a more musical way. I'm also psyched to get my kids involved in music with me.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

So I played on and off, mostly on, from 5 years old until 23 years old. Because of medical reasons I had to stop playing and sell my kit. Then family and life. Kept saying I can always play again and finally at 54 I decided I better get going.

It has been 2 1/2 years since I started playing again. I am playing in a band and playing out so that part is a success. But I still don't think I am technically as good as I was even at 14. So it takes time and a lot of practice.

The best part about starting up again after all that time is this thing called the internet. Heck, I did not even know about home computers when I stopped playing so many years ago.

Like all things, practice the right things well and set a goal to keep getting better. Record yourself and honestly assess your abilities and work on the things you need to fix the most.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 PM

I had a 3 year lay over about 6 years ago.

I am in my mid-50's as well. The best advice I can offer from my own experience is to get out the Stick Control book and the practice pad and start doing the rudiments at least 30-45 minutes a day on a practice pad. I promise you it will pay off in as little as a few weeks.
For many years, I used to view drumming as physically demanding, but now I play better than I ever have at any point in my life. I started at age 8, peaked at about age 19, but that was mainly due to the benefits of youth. Now, thanks to practicing rudiments, looking at YouTube lessons from greats like Joe Morello, and others, I have focused on improving my grip, playing relaxed, wrist and finger involvement, and really just going back to the very basic stuff I had skipped over in the days of my youth.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

I have taken a few different breaks in my life.
I'm just coming back from a few year break.

Good news is - the values in new kits are better than ever.

It will come back. I would recommend just enjoying the return to play with just playing along to things you are familiar with. Just to get the brain and body connecting again. I wouldn't look too closely at all the monster instruction yet - if you are like me, it can sometimes get discouraging.

Enjoy the return, and then maybe pick a couple of specific areas you want to work on. If you are not a geezer like me yet, maybe you even want to look for a band.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 AM

Similar thing here, although I had to quit due to injury. It's been about seven years now I think and just recently got back to drumming. I never practice though. I just sit on the drums and try to have a good time.

I am hoping to take lessons again but they are very pricey in Melbourne and I now have a mortgage so will see...
Old 05-22-2015, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Like everything else in life, get back slowly to avoid injuries, practice every
day and it will come back. And enjoy every minute of it !
Old 05-22-2015, 04:56 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Sometimes I wish I stopped playing for a few years.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:49 AM

Hey all, good to see I'm not the only one getting back into this after 25 years off! Like everyone, I find that my hands and feet are not always ready to do what my brain says, although I am much less rusty now (5 months later). Stamina also is a problem, I am almost back to where I think I could play with a band, except I am not sure I could play two sets. I try to practice drumset at least 1/2 hr to 45 min per day, and do rudiments/drum pad 20 -30 min. And, I am sure I will be better than I was as a kid, I have more sense of dynamics and subtlety than I did as a headbanger. As others have said, the equipment is so much better it encourages dynamics - I picked up a pristine used Yamaha MCAN set and it really 'sings' - especially compared to my old Tama Swingstar.

Stick with it and check in often!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 AM

I'm a hobbyist player, and had taken lessens for about a year back about 1981. I've been a hobbyist bass player for the last decade, and a couple years ago picked up a Gretsch 57 jazz kit on closeout. Hadn't done as much as I had wanted for the last year.

Picked up a couple additional shells off Ebay. This gives me 10, 12, 14, 16, toms with the 18 kick. Planning to add an additional 20" bass drum which will give me a wide variety of ways to use it all. Mostly plan to run a basic 4 piece and move shells around as the mood and music calls for. Picked a decent collection of cymbals and just recently upgraded all my hardware to mid, and better pieces that work well.

I'm working daily now going through Stick Control, and Joe Morello's Master Studies. Checking out Drumeo, and Mike Johnstons stuff, and really working to play, and not just make noise from the throne..

I suck bad at trying to play, but that's ok. I do this for fun, and treat the learning process as something I get to do, and not something that I need to get through as fast as possible. I'm just enjoying it, and working to improve one small step at a time. With age, (53) comes a different attitude and focus to study and learn in a better way.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 AM

like a lot here I had a 40 year break because of all the factors mentioned in other posts . Never lost the passion for the instrument . Got back into it late last year at age 63 after forced retirement. I'm very ordinary as a drummer compared to many on here and not what I was 40 years ago. Lack of flexibility I reckon. However, I'm more passionate and driven now than I was when I played 40 years ago. This is enormously helped by this forum and the supportive and informative and honest posts. If the passion is there the rest will follow. Just enjoy whatever level you are at currently.
Cheers
Alan
Old 07-25-2015, 02:32 AM

Same here. Drums were my first instrument. I played from the ages of 6 to 18. I set up an electronic kit a few years ago, but it was never immediate enough to really build up any real skill. I've been studying rhythm to improve my arrangements (I'm a songwriter, guitar player), and picked up a djembe last year because I wanted to understand afro-cuban rhythms better.

I just set up a snare with a kick and a hi hat this week, and I love playing. It's been 27 years since I really played. I'm amazed how little coordination I have, but I get better every single hour I spend on the kit. I've always been completely in love with the sound of drums. As a kid my early heroes were Max Roach, Buddy Rich, and Louie Bellson. I saw Max play many times, and his musicianship always spoke to me.

I never had any finger technique. I didn't even know it existed back then. Nobody ever said the word "Moeller" to me, ever. There's so much more information today than back then. I can just see that it will all work, though. I've always been able to do that Jedi mind trick and pick up new techniques on any instrument I've played.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I took off for 32 years and right back in the saddle. Only a hobby for me but not looking back. As a write this, I am 28 days from retiring and this is something I can do for years to come.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 AM
Ghostnote

I've been playing for 28 years, but have had a half a dozen or so hiatuses from playing of a year or more, the longest of which being 3 years. In all cases my playing was terrible until I got back into the swing of things for a week or two. The cool thing I found was that a lengthy break resulted in a different outlook and approach when I got back into playing. Sort of like hitting a reset button. Be patient. It'll come back.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
I've been playing for 28 years, but have had a half a dozen or so hiatuses from playing of a year or more, the longest of which being 3 years. In all cases my playing was terrible until I got back into the swing of things for a week or two. The cool thing I found was that a lengthy break resulted in a different outlook and approach when I got back into playing. Sort of like hitting a reset button. Be patient. It'll come back.
I'm curently in that spot too. Hands are not so bad given I kept some sticks arround and practice pad every now and then, but the feet...are terrible! I now realize that I was (and still) a beater burying type of player! Since there is no muffling in my new kick, whoa the sound is so cool...but it suck to bury the beater and getting those buzzing... So I'm in the "re Learning things", and it's a pain. Letting the beater rebound is getting there, but the difficult part is to control the return ... it just produce some double or triple rebound after that "one" stroke!! It just piss me off.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Played from the age of 12. Turned professional at 19 then retired at 36 as my wife fell pregnant & I used to spend at least 8 months a year touring. I am now 48 & have just started to play again. Still playing the same kind of music (Hardcore Punk) & it did take a little while to get back up to speed etc. Loving it again & have joined a band with the singer of my previous band (The Varukers) called "The Vile". I am also doing some standing in for a band I helped to start in 1990 (Sick on the Bus).
Long may it continue.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM

started drumming shortly after i got rock band for my wii, started with a first act trash kit when i was like 10, then moved up to a Pearl Forum off craigslist not long after. I sadly lost interest for a couple years, then i found people at my school that wanted to jam so i played with them. They played a lot of hipster trash, but i found an insane guitarist from my school, and now i have a metal band, all in the last few months. I am now 17 and I ordered a Mapex Saturn IV shell pack tonight!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:56 AM

To resurrect an old but helpful thread, I want to thank everyone for posting, add my evolving experience to the mix, and ask a few questions.

My experience is of having gigged steadily (almost every weekend, 5-nighters one summer) for nearly 10 years and continuing to gig sporadically for another decade only to stop playing almost entirely for 25 years. Now that the drumming bug has bitten me again, I find that I thoroughly suck.

It's a strange kind of sucking though. My ear and brain are as good as they ever were, maybe better. I know the sounds I want, am especially finicky about cymbals, and remain way more advanced than the kids who post YouTube videos of themselves tastelessly bashing drums and cymbals. My basic limb coordination is also fine. If the song is slow and simple enough (which most songs are) I could probably sit in and play it well enough for not many people to notice that I suck. Where I'm monstrously deficient, though, is in elementary stick drumming and stamina. I can no longer play a smooth long roll of the sort that opens the US national anthem--my left hand especially flies all over the place--and no way could keep up a right hand ride pattern for a moderate tempo song.

My self-imposed remedial program involves just leaving a pair of sticks lying around and periodically during the day running through some rudiments on chairs or table tops or whatever. I'm focusing on the long roll (gotta get that smooth at minimum), the 5- and 7-stroke rolls, the flam triplet thing, and both the single and double paradiddles. There are probably other exercises I could add, and if I get ambitious I might try some things with a metronome, but I figure that I need to get these basic rudiments up to snuff before I even bother to set up real drums. Also, just me, I don't think it matters what surface I practice on. Decent drummers can control their sticks on drums with different rebounds, so some variation in practice surfaces is probably good.

As for how it's going, well, I'm only a few days into it and can't say. My left hand does though seem to be improving. The stick in it is doing less flailing around and is hitting more directly. This is good. Also, I'm noticing that I can feel the muscles in my forearms being used. This is probably good too. Decent drumming probably requires some strengthening of the drumming muscles, which in my case have surely atrophied. However, I'm definitely not playing any of these rudiments well, even though years ago I could knock them all out smoothly and fast.

Anyway, to my questions for others in a similar situation:

1. How long did it take you to bring your chops back up to a reasonable level (or did you give up before you did)?

I'm looking at this a bit like old boxers in training for a new fight (I can't help thinking of the last Rocky movie) and therefore figuring that three months is probably a reasonable time frame, although significant improvements should be seen within a month and six months may be more realistic for those of us who proceed at a leisurely pace. It should though be quicker for us than it is for beginners, since we already have the brains and ears, just need the chops to match. However, it's always possible that the chops will never match, just one of those downsides of aging. Meanwhile, regarding what I mean by a "reasonable level," I would define this as being able to sit behind a kit in a band without thoroughly embarrassing and frustrating yourself--or getting your hands and feet up to doing more or less what your brain tells them to do.

2. Have your drumming goals changed? How?

Speaking for myself, I've always favored tasteful, minimalist drumming over loud and flashy, and seem even more oriented toward this now that I'm older. The kids now have double bass drum pedals, for instance, and while these interest me from the standpoint of the evolving art form, I have no interest in playing one. If the bass drum part requires a double pedal, I'll either fake it, simplify it, or not play the song. Same with a bunch of toms and cymbals. Forget that. I really want to keep my kit down to 4 pieces and only 2 cymbals plus a hi-hat. Although I could add a 3rd tom and 3rd cymbal as well as maybe a cowbell, my strong orientation is toward simplicity of setup as well as playing. I'm more interested in playing less complicated things well than more complicated things poorly--and if it's too complicated, I'm too old to try.

3. How has gigging worked out for you?

Music is a performance art, so unless you perform (for an audience) there's not much point to playing IMO. Sorry, I don't want to play drums for my own amusement as if it's some kind of music therapy or recreation program for seniors. But I can't figure out how gigging might work. The kids don't want an old duffer drummer in their bands, and if the songs were released after about 1980, I'm probably unaware of them anyway. I also have no interest in playing clubs where the opening act doesn't even start until 10 PM. My ideal is actually to hook up with some other oldsters for a jazz trio, and maybe do a couple sets in a small bar for a few bucks on a Friday night, or possibly hook up with some other old guys playing old rock, country, or blues, and pick up an occasional Saturday night gig in a bar where the average age of the customers is 30-60 and everybody can have a good time between 9 PM and midnight. I also can't imagine playing many gigs where the drums are mic-ed or there's a soundman to handle all this. Goodness, things have gotten fancy since I retired. Also, for me the amount of money isn't important. I don't want to play for free, but if my bar tab and transportation are covered, I'd be OK profiting $10. I just don't know whether these gigs exist any more.

Oh well, it's a strange aspect of the life cycle to return to drumming after a middle-aged retirement, and rationally I can't justify it. Yet I suppose when something was such a dominant part of your life as the music business, you never really let it go. I have also noted that some of my longest lasting friends to this day are former band mates. There's a kind of bonding that takes place when you not only hit the stage together but also deal with the same crazy bar owners, break down on the side of the road together, and end up in the same small motel room in the middle of nowhere waiting out a snowstorm. It's probably similar to former athletes who played on the same team or former soldiers who served together. Characters I never would have met much less befriended became great friends through the band business. Add that there's that impossible-to-define performance art aspect to it. You play it once, and then it's gone--kind of like life itself. There's no real point to it, but you do it in spite of there being no real point. That I suspect is what makes it art, and why it compels.

OK, back to my rudiments.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Hey Fellow drummers, I'm new to Drummerworld here but scrolling thru as a guest and reading, I've found that there are tons of experience and knowledge here by other musicians and it's great to be able to talk "drums" with others in the know.
I played drums for about 10 years and then took about a 12 year break from it after getting married, raising a family etc... Priorities first you know?..anyway, my question is have any of you taken such a long break from drumming as this and what was your playing like when you started back?.. Ill be the first to admit.. I suck bad! My technique is awful, my timing is awful, and it's almost like starting all over again and learning from scratch. I know what I want to play in my head but everything is so off! I'm afraid I'm slowly losing interest in drumming because of it... Any of you (old timers) gone thru this?.. Did you have the same issues? Thanks for your responses in advance and again, it's great to find so many knowledgable drummers in one place!

I join the before quote by adding my story....
I began playing almost 10 years ago and I stopped in 2012 after I couldn't pull my hand accident anymore... last year, funny, around this time of the year, I decided to pick up the Drum pad I bought and start training again. I also sucked... however I spent a lot of time behind that Drum pad... It took me some time to get back on tract... you need to be patient, and still there are some things I'm not yet happy with. I lost my left foot coordination completely, lots of tricks I can't perform anymore and sometimes I mess up bad.
Sometimes i have the feeling I oscillate on my tempo and I have lost a lot of speed. My foot tricks also went away..
My demotivstion was really big... my dream was always to have music as my second job, and many times i get so sad (still today) I end up believing I am a failure. But that's when i have to think again: failure it's not the answer for me. After that though, I decided I can do something about it. That's why I have made a planning some months ago of everything I hate or dislike from my playing. I'm working one by one, and guess what? The first results are already coming. It does take effort and dedication, it does suck when it goes wrong, and the road is long. I don't know what are your goals on drumming, but if it is for hobby or pro, just accept yourself and know you can work on the things you dislike. And one thing... It's not worth to hate yourself when playing. That's a big defect of me to work on and It's not healthy for anyone.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 PM
JohnoWorld

Despite people saying it, drumming has not changed.

They are still bits of plastic screwed to a bit of wood,although some on here may try and convince you otherwise in order to sell you theirs.

Just don't listen to the hype, stick with what you know and get yourself a decent mid-range acoustic kit with pro cymbals and a pro snare.

There's just more to choose from and so making the right choice is much harder. Heads being the most annoying part of it. Heads which used to last for me, no longer do.

Even when I was living in a flat, I could go without drums for a few months, then I would go insane and do everything I could to try and get a kit that would work in my situation. ie an e-kit.

So I've never spent long away from drumming as it keeps me sane. Perhaps you gave it up for so long because it wasn't really for you and you didn't really take to it anyway. Sorry but I just can't fathom why someone would give up doing something they love for the sake of procreation.

I therefore think you should just give it up altogether and do gardening or DIY or something. You chose your priorities and so realistically you're never going to be any good.

Hate to be the one to say it but I will always try and offer a different point of view.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 PM

I also took a 20+ year break. My timing was fine until I performed any fills which sped everything up. Didn't take long to fix but what really got me was being overwhelmed by all the talent you see on youtube when just searching around. Everyone is just taking it to another level. Damn millennials lol. As long as you take your time, you're gonna have fun. Don't expect to catch up on 10 years in one session. Get some gigs that are playing songs you never listened to so there's something at stake and you're learning new things. It will make you better faster instead of just practicing the same old stuff for fun. New equipment to try or buy is fun too. I just splurged on a Lars worldwired kit so I'm having fun with that.

Last edited by s4awd; 11-02-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM

BigG,

I am right there with you. Limbs won't do what my mind wants, but hey it never did at a high level. But, smile when I practice happens every day.

Having fun working hard on my rudiments, time keeping, and playing to songs I love. And that is why I drum, to enjoy being in the song.

Cool to find this thread where so many of us get back into it in our 50's. And this site where it is an information overload.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

It's tough at first. Things that used to be second nature now take thought. The muscle memory is almost gone. I took 30 years off to build and then leave a career after playing music for decades. Things have changed but music is still the same. Backbeats, downbeats flams, paradiddles etc. are all still there you just use them differently sometimes. I've started doing pad work again and I'm no where near where I was but who would be? My time is still good. I "played" on tabletops, chairs whatever and I still have that part of it but anything fancier is going to take awhile. I just try to set reasonable goals and then do everything that I can to achieve them. Right now I'm working on the rudiments and on the muscle memory that I mentioned before. I'm going to a physical therapist to help know and develop the kind of exercise regimine that will bring some of the stamina and technique back. It helps that her husband was a drummer so she knows what it's like. It's a steep hill but not the first one that I've climbed. Just set reasonable goals and work towards those. You're not going to play double bass like you used to but maybe refining your style is a better approach. I've got a bunch of recordings from my former days and I would definitely do a lot of those things differently. With age comes wisdom; some of the time. Keep at it!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:47 AM

I started playing at 10 and was a very, very good drummer until I gave it up at 30. Fast forward nearly 30 years. I got back into it and I can honestly say I am a better drummer now than when I was young. The first two months were a bit of a struggle. I had it all in my head but couldn't quite pull it off on the kit. I practiced nearly every day and used a metronome sometimes in my practice. I played out a few weeks ago and noticed a man videoing me. After the set he came up to me and said his son was a drummer and he was sending the video to him to show him how to play. He complimented me on my playing and said..."That's how you play the drums...you nailed it." I admit it felt good to hear that. So, keep at it, have fun, practice, relax and enjoy!
Supraphonic
Acrolite
Mapex Meridian
Pearl Sessions
Old 12-02-2017, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry too much about 'sucking'. I play every day and still take any gig I get called for and I still have down days.

I just constantly remind myself that if I can play Mustang Sally sincerely, then I'm doing it!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:20 AM

I have played drums since i was a kid and started gigging with my father and brother as a teenager, I was also in a couple of bands as kids. At sixteen I was in a rock cover band with friends that gigged and lasted about five years and done quite well and was great fun with a quirky set. when that band folded I joined my brothers band a funk band, up until this point I was self taught with the odd tips or bit of a lesson from local drummers learning by ear and this is early dial up internet times. In the funk band it showed up my knowledge technique sound everything. I got by for a while couple of years played and as the band got quiet and I was practising a lot but I was frustrated with my playing and felt I was going around in a circle or progression was too slow and so I remembered when my uncle came to visit for a few days a really great drummer at the time I didn't even realise how good a drummer he was and i would hear storys about his going to the top jazz drummer for lessons for seven years he lived in a large city two hours drive away so I decided to find a top drummer for lessons so I drove an hour and a half each way for lessons for a couple of years at twenty four the best thing ever it set a good foundation taught me how to learn and continue to try to find my own voice, style etc. I also met one of my best friends through a band my brother was in another excellent drummer he is 15 years older than me and had so much more experience than me he took me under his wing and threw me in the deep end with dep gigs and I learned a lot that way all sorts of music. so I suppose my advice would be to always try and get playing with guys who are better musicians than you be it drummers or otherwise and learn from them. I was always lucky that way and still am. clocking up as much time playing with other musicians is so important amazing how much goes out the window of the practice room in a live situation.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 AM

What I learned during and after my 28 year layoff from playing and performing.

Music changes. Your taste in music changes. Your "voice" will change.

You are always your own worst critic. If you choose to compare yourself to professional drummers, you will always "suck"

It is somewhat like riding a bike, but it takes a little time for all the appendages to (re)sync with what the brain is telling each what to do.

You must love the challenge and commit. Elsewise and your challenge will kill the love.

....and for the previous poster. Punctuation and phrasing are valuable tools in drumming, and writing
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Yup, played almost daily from when I was 6ish on pots and pans, got my first kit at 8, joined bands at school when I was 12, played right through gigging regularly until I was 25. Got married, had kids and sold my gear.

Got a Yamaha DTX400 when I was 30, and I was terrible, got better but not good again after a few months and now I make sure I have a practice when I can. Canít remember the last time I played an acoustic kit though so Iíll either be great or terrible. On the hunt for one now, then Iíll have to find a band that will have me.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 PM

I've also, just recently joined the forums. A few months back I was standing at the kitchen sink and my wife told me that it was a shame that I had wasted all those thousands of dollars my parents spent on me, teaching me to play drums and read and write music when I was young. She told I "needed" to go out and buy a drum kit and start playing again. So after twenty nine years of not playing, I did. As most folks on this thread, I also "remembered" how to play, read, and write music, but am having a bit of a tough time getting my head knowledge to my hands. And its true, that now, I'm more concerned with things that I never was when I was young. I've read countless threads on tuning my drums, which heads to buy, which cymbals to have and of course the endless list of terms used to describe the voice of a drum and cymbal. I stopped playing at twenty one years old and now that I'm fifty, I'm looking at everything differently. But it's great to be able to laugh at myself and say "I SUCK". The one thing I will add is this. I never knew, I mean really realized just how much drumming had become a part of my young life; I started lessons at five and a half years until I was eighteen, I never realized how deeply I missed it until I set that Premier XPK set up down in my man cave / study, and just stared at it for awhile.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 PM
MasterBlaster

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, brother!!!