Snare Head help

J

just_hit_it

I'm finally getting new heads (YEY! *does dance)
But i'm unsure where to go with snare heads *as the title suggests..*

I'm pretty convinced on two though - either Remo Powerstroke 3 or Remo Controlled Sound

I like my snare crisp and fairly dry, with very few overtones. Anyone got any ideas which would be better? or is it just whichever feels right with playing at the shop?

Out of the box you're going get more overtones and a livelier overall sound with a CS black-dot than a PS3. The PS3's muffle ring is equivalent to a built in Zero-ring and gives you a darker/deadened sound with quicker decay.

If I was going for the dry crisp/loose wet sound (both achieved by tensioning either way) I'd personally use an Ambassador with slackened tuning an a little bit of Moon Gel. Even though all three of these heads are single-ply, I feel that articulation gets muddled and lost with PS3's and I really don't care for the feel of the thickened center of the CS.

So my order of preference for this application would be
1. Coated Ambassador dampened
2. PS3
3. Coated CS (Dot on under-side)

Last edited:
I'm finally getting new heads (YEY! *does dance)
But i'm unsure where to go with snare heads *as the title suggests..*

I'm pretty convinced on two though - either Remo Powerstroke 3 or Remo Controlled Sound

I like my snare crisp and fairly dry, with very few overtones. Anyone got any ideas which would be better? or is it just whichever feels right with playing at the shop?

Are you dead set on Remo? I'm a bit biased towards Remo myself, but I'm a big fan of the Evan Genera HD Dry head myself. Mind you this isn't the ideal way to compare the heads, but I've got the coated Dry head on a 13 x 5 snare, and a coated PS3 on a 14 x 5.5. They're tuned relatively the same and the Evans head is definitely drier. Just a suggestion.

I admit the coated ambassador is not the most forgiving head, it has to be tuned near perfection in order for the drum to be almost mute of overtones.

But if you can tune it there, imo it is the most versatile and best sounding snare head on the market.

Back