Clear snare batter heads with brushes

I can't tell exactly from the OP's post whether the coating problem was on a stock head or the Evans as well.

But if it was stock....Stock heads are usually just a temporary solution for you until you can afford to re-head the drums. They are a lesser quality than off the shelf heads and you'll be much happier with the sound of your drums with new heads.

FWIW: All of the big 3 Remo, Aquarian, and Evans will have some 'bad runs' of coated heads where the coating comes off almost immediately.

I highly recommend Aquarian for coating that lasts. Sounds like Response 2's might be what's best as they are somewhat like Emperors. I've used on my set as well as installed and tuned several church sets with Aquarian coated heads over the years. Out of maybe 50-60 heads there were maybe 2-3 that had this issue. If you let them know via email or phone, they jump into action to get new replacement heads to you. In fact on all occasions it was Roy Burns himself who took care of it. GREAT customer service.

The absolute normal way behaviour is for the Aquarian coated heads is for them to outlast the competition in longevity. They sound great as well but different players have different preferences for their drums. Single plies as an example, Remo Ambassadors have just a tad more highs too them than Aquarian Texture Coated. Probably due to the slightly thinner coating. Evans G1's are closer to the Ambassador then the Aquarian TC, but the coating seems to last longer.

Also I should mention that I've had a good reaction from Evans when I had a bad G2 one time. The brick and mortar wanted nothing to do with a head that sounded bad out of the box. Evans made it right as well.

Remo was a bit iffy about a defective hi hat clutch I had but....I've never interacted about drum heads with them so I'm not sure.

I have the Aquarian Modern Vintage on one of my snares right now. It has a sweet tone to it and has nice longlasting brush response (it's the 3rd one I've had on this drum in a few years since I bought it).

Try out a coated Aquarian. Should work well.

BTW: I can't see using ANY clear head for brushes.

Jim

Aquarian and Evans do make very nice heads, but they're more on the expensive side, which is why I prefer Remo. If they have lower priced heads, I'd be happy to use those, but Evans heads are like $30 a piece depending on the head, although I'm not sure how much Aquarians are each, but they're more expensive than Remo.

Aquarian and Evans do make very nice heads, but they're more on the expensive side, which is why I prefer Remo. If they have lower priced heads, I'd be happy to use those, but Evans heads are like $30 a piece depending on the head, although I'm not sure how much Aquarians are each, but they're more expensive than Remo.

I use mostly Evans products with some Remo heads on a kit I just bought. It seems as if Evans has a bit better quality control concerning the coating flaking problem, but both manufacturers have quality products. Sorry, the only Aquarian head I have is a 14" snare head and I really don't remember how or where I got it. I would check around a bit if I were you on the Evans head pricing. I usually buy three single ply heads, 10", 12" and a 14" in their combo packs for about $30 USD. The 2 ply versions are about $5 more.

Dennis

I would check around a bit if I were you on the Evans head pricing. I usually buy three single ply heads, 10", 12" and a 14" in their combo packs for about $30 USD. The 2 ply versions are about $5 more.

Dennis

This is just an example from Musicians Friend of a price comparison between Evans and Remo. Both are 5-head pro-packs. The Pinstripes are the equivalent of G2's. The SD Dry is the equivalent of the Coated Ambassador. And the the Powerstroke is the equivalent of the EMAD:

-Evans $110
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Evans-EMAD-5Piece-Drumhead-Pack?sku=443809

-Remo $77
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-5Piece-Rock-ProPack?sku=448911

While its about personal preference in sound, I like the sound of Remo's myself, but thats just me. Many people prefer Evans and Aquarians. Plus I could get resonant heads from Remo too, and it would come out for the same price as batter heads alone from Evans. But once again, its everyones personal choice and opinion. I have never used Aquarian though, so I cant say much about those.

This is just an example from Musicians Friend of a price comparison between Evans and Remo. Both are 5-head pro-packs. The Pinstripes are the equivalent of G2's. The SD Dry is the equivalent of the Coated Ambassador. And the the Powerstroke is the equivalent of the EMAD:

-Evans $110
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Evans-EMAD-5Piece-Drumhead-Pack?sku=443809

-Remo $77
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-5Piece-Rock-ProPack?sku=448911

While its about personal preference in sound, I like the sound of Remo's myself, but thats just me. Many people prefer Evans and Aquarians. Plus I could get resonant heads from Remo too, and it would come out for the same price as batter heads alone from Evans. But once again, its everyones personal choice and opinion. I have never used Aquarian though, so I cant say much about those.

Actually Evans G2 heads are much more equivalent to Remos Emperor heads. Both are 2 ply, each ply being 7 mils thick for a total thickness of 14 mils. Both heads are available in clear or coated. The Evans equivalent to the Remo coated Ambassador is the G1 coated head. both of those heads are 1 ply, 10 mil coated. Just so you so you have the facts straight when substituting. As I said above, both are quality companies.

Dennis

Very true. G2's are closer to Emperors than Pinstripes, but along the lines of the all-in-one 5 piece pro-packs that the 2 companies offer, the pinstripes fill the same role as the G2's. This was what I was getting at earlier, but it was kind of confusing. My mistake.

Some Evans heads have a textured surface great for brushes but they are not coated. Instead the surface is etched to form a rough surface. I think it's the J1 heads. There will be no flaking with these. Alternatively, get a clear head and sand it with some rough grit sandpaper. Maybe try this on an old head before you do it to a new head.

Back