Taylor Hawkins

TopCat

Gold Member
Ok, So I couldn't find a thread on the man behind the Foos.

Anyway, I was amazed recently to discover he moved from Tama to Gretsch drums. I thought it was a little odd, considering Gretsch arent usually associated with hard rock, especially when you consider their high end range is generally dominated by bop kits and the like. Cool though to see them expanding, after all, I use my Gretsch for lots of different scenarios, as most of you know.

Seems like a lot of rock guys want an old fashioned American company name on their drums. I'd take a USA custom Gretsch over a Starclassic any day of the week.

you know cause i just hate it when other countries are making ma' stuff.. just kidding i own a set of tamas. i think taylor hawkins is a excelent drummer but i mean i know a guy whos in a hard-indie band plays a grestch kit.. really nice

I noticed the switch from Tama to Gretsch when I saw the video for their new single "The Pretender". It's good to see a classic brand like Gretsch getting some of the spotlight.

Anyways, Taylor Hawkins has always been one of my favorites. Not only is he an amazing drummer, but he seems like just an all-around cool dude....everything you'd want in a rock drummer. He also played drums on the upcoming Coheed & Cambria album which is pretty cool.

So he has moved to Gretsch drums saw him on live earth with Gretsch drums and was wondering and now you just confirmed it

In the new rhythm he talks about moving from 'T to G'.

'Describing himself as 'just a fan of drums in general', Taylor points specifically to the way his new Gretsch "Sings - Like doooooh instead of doooof" as being a key factor in him making the switch.'

thats gotta be one of the worst snare sounds i ever heard.

I thought the snares were off for awhile of the solo and then realized the ring.

I am excited. But kind of bumbed out. I am a big Tama guy. If I wasn't playing TRICK drums I would either have my own custom kit or be playing my starclassics and other tama stuff. But I had a gretsch renown maple and it was a nice kit. They upgraded the tom mounts since i had mine and they are really nice. That was my only gripe about my old gretsch set.

I noticed the kit swap but also wasn't sure if it was 100% fact that he's changed. He's one of my favourite drummers, what he plays fits the Foo's perfectly. I couldn't see anyone else behind the kit. (Although Grohl apparently plays drums on some tracks and leaves it to fans to decide if it's him or not).

Tom

i saw him live like two weeks ago with the foos and he was really on top form and the chemistry between him and dave is worth the price of the ticket they are best friends and booth amazing drummers

i saw him live like two weeks ago with the foos and he was really on top form and the chemistry between him and dave is worth the price of the ticket they are best friends and booth amazing drummers

A great drummer...another of my drumming heroes!

I met him last year and he was down to earth and very cool....a really nice guy.

Taylors a sick drummer you have to watch to solo between him, dave grohl and Bob?Hudson, from the Bad Brains(i forget his first name), its amazing. Does any1 know what snare he uses

Taylor Hawkins is one of my favorite drummer. I would like to know which series of Zildjian he uses

the new Coattail Riders album is every bit as good as the first one. i love his stuff!!!

Taylor Hawkins is one of my favorite drummer. I would like to know which series of Zildjian he uses

During the Coattail Riders he used Zildjian K Custom Series cymbals and he also use the A Series cymbals I believe. Right now (during the Foo Fighters recording sessions) he seems to be using A Customs,K's and Avedis (basically the same cymbals Grohl used on TCV).

I think you can goto Zildjians website and it shows you his kit and cymbal setup :)
Here's a link : http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/configurator/default.ad2?artistID=1171

He also uses Gretsch Renown kits (He used several of them at the Coattail Riders gigs).
along with his Signature sticks. I've also had the oppurtunity to meet Taylor and he is a really nice and down to earth guy :)

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Your views on Taylor Hawkins?

Hey guys, I want to know what you guys think of Taylor Hawkins. His technique, what he plays etc.

I personally think he is really good, I've met him before, really cool guy! And I mean a guy who can sing and play a song like "Get Up I Want To Get Down" is incredible! I don't know much about his technique, but I do know he holds his sticks correctly and seems to use the moeller technique on his hi-hats. His bass technique also impresses me (aswell as Dave's, his really impresses me. Almost like Bonhams, which impresses me... ALOT!). I don't know if he lets the stick bounce from the snare, but I know he uses lots of ghosts notes and accents aswell as cool rudiments for fills (taking this all from one video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJOr9mWxmM&playnext=1&list=PLA4A1581363403F36&index=45).

What do you guys think? Cheers!

Re: Your views on Taylor Hawkins?

NOTE : I'm not really sure if he's using the Moeller technique actually. But what's your guys views?

Back