Bongos

Bongos are cool and perfect when you want to do some quiet drumming. All the top hand percussion companies make really good bongos (e.g. Meinl, LP, Gon Bops, etc.) but if you want something really special, check out Volcano bongos and congas:

http://www.volcanopercussion.com/Hawaiian_Mango_Bongos.php
I would love to have some of their drums!!!

I would probably stay away from low end bongos like the Pearl PWB100 Primero Wood Bongos or LP Aspires and save a bit more for some pro bongos. Playing pro quality compared to "student" quality bongos, congas, djembes, etc is significantly better in my opinion. As well, if you buy a pro quality bongo, then it will last you your entire life (with a bit of TLC) and you will not want to upgrade in the future. You will immediately have the pleasure of playing a top quality instrument for $300 - $500.

You might also check out http://www.mycongaplace.com/my/index.php?lingua=E which can offer additional guidance.

GJS

I boght a set of 'Tycoon Percussion' bongos a few months ago, they seem very good, I think they manufacture for the big name companies and this is their first year of actually selling their Own Brand drums - highly recommended, but I am no expert !

Right now, the bongo is my main instrument. If you are looking to save money, I would advise you to get a decent set of shells and hardware, and swap out the heads for something better than factory spec — the mass produced bongos almost all have lousy heads.

I have seen few bongos below $200 that are worth the money, and even on $200+ mass-produced bongos the heads usually need to be replaced (the quality of the heads on those Pearl Primero bongos looks atrocious). If you are planning to play them with your fingers, you really want a good pair of heads to get all the sounds. If you just want an extra voice for your drum kit, and you are planning to play them with sticks, maybe not. Meinl bongos seem to have great build quality, but on most of their models you can't rotate the lugs, which is uncomfortable if you play them between your legs. An exception is their Luis Conte model which is built the traditional way, but the heads are the usual crummy factory spec.

Make sure that the bongo has good hardware, as the macho (the small drum) needs to be put under a lot of tension, and then loosened after every playing session to protect the leather from humidity/temperature changes. All this tightening and loosening can wear out the hardware pretty quick.

At the congaplace forum you can find info about where to get good natural heads. Remo synthetic heads are an option, especially for the high drum, but many people don't like the sound and feel — listen and try before you buy.

Another option is a bongo-cajon:

Schlagwerk makes a pair of all wooden bongo-cajones that sound great, but I haven't tried them in person and I imagine they don't have much projection compared to regular bongos. However, no heads or hardware to worry about, they're cheap, and they'd be a quiet option for playing in an apartment. http://www.schlagwerk.com/english/cajinto_yambu/cajinito_yambu.php

I'd steer clear of the Meinl bongo-cajones though, I have a pair and they aren't as responsive to the different finger techniques as I had hoped, perhaps because of the rubber wood that they use. I think other manufacturers spec birch, alder, or other, more expensive woods for their cajones.

If you are looking to save money, I would advise you to get a decent set of shells and hardware, and swap out the heads for something better than factory spec — the mass produced bongos almost all have lousy heads.

Make sure that the bongo has good hardware, as the macho (the small drum) needs to be put under a lot of tension, and then loosened after every playing session to protect the leather from humidity/temperature changes. All this tightening and loosening can wear out the hardware pretty quick.

At the congaplace forum you can find info about where to get good natural heads. Remo synthetic heads are an option, especially for the high drum, but many people don't like the sound and feel — listen and try before you buy.

Right on the money; I totally agree with you Mel. I quickly swapped out my factory heads from my congas and replaced them with some nice mule skins from Isaac. I tucked the skins myself; not a big or complex job. These new skins significantly improved the sound and playability.

The same goes for the hardware; you have to get heavy duty hardware to ensure a long life for the drum. Check out top of the line bongos to see the what beefy hardware looks like. Mycongaplace is another great website for advice about bongos and congas. You can find photos of vintage bongos on Mycongaplace and pay particular attention to the heavy duty hardware. If you want the bongos to last a long time, then the hardware has to be bomb proof.

I am saving for some Mat Smith or Volcano bongos at the moment. My 30 other hand drums will have to do for the time being!

Take care Mel and dp9792

GJS

Isaac Gutwilik ([email protected])
http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/index.php

Thanks everyone that posted. As much as i would love to be able to spend $300-$500 on bongos, that is absolutely out of the question, there is no way i will be spending that much, I'm just looking for a decent set for under $200. I will probably be changing the heads though. I'm looking at some Meinl and pear bongos.

Thanks everyone that posted. As much as i would love to be able to spend $300-$500 on bongos, that is absolutely out of the question, there is no way i will be spending that much, I'm just looking for a decent set for under $200. I will probably be changing the heads though. I'm looking at some Meinl and pear bongos.

Consider getting a used set of bongos and being patient until the right ones for the right price come along. In the mean time, monitor mycongaplace; you will not only learn about bongos, sometimes, members sell their bongos to other members of that site.

Take care

GJS

Go with the Matt Smith's Skul, and post pics! Those are gorgeous drums.

Today I ordered some Matt Smith Black Walnut Bongos (6 3/4" and 9"). He has a 9 month back order. I should have them next summer. I was very much considering the Volcano "Jack Costanzo" model (love their wood), but the Matt Smith bongos are half the price!

I am sure that this will be one of the few drums I will be able to take with me to the old folks home when I can no longer live independently; I doubt if they will allow me to take my Drumskull congas!

Take care Garvin and have a great thanks giving holiday!

GJS

I guess I won't be holding my breath for pics... Those waits can be tough. Just try to forget about them for now eh?

A buddy of mine just got his final two congas from Jay Berreck at Skin on Skin. They are amazing drums, but he had to wait about 6 months. At least he has 5 now.

Hello

Some LP bongos just sold on eBay for $455 (and we are in difficult financial times!) They are in good shape (not NIB or Mint) and both heads need to be replaced; one head is torn. Mule skin heads will cost the new owner around $100. There is also pitting on the hardware. No doubt these were purchased many years ago for $50 to $100.

My point is that if you buy top quality bongos, they will likely appreciate in price like an investment. Low quality bongos depreciate in price. You might consider saving your money to buy top quality bongos (e.g. Matt Smith, Volcano, etc.) and enjoy playing excellent drums. They will last you all your life with a bit of TLC.

Just my two cents.

GJS

Attachments

• Vintage LP Bongos $455US eBay Nov 2009.jpg
    Vintage LP Bongos $455US eBay Nov 2009.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 5,178
Back