Went to Memphis Drum Shop (again)...

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Spent the weekend in Memphis with my beautiful wife. We love that place! I was excited like a kid waiting to head back to Memphis Drum Shop! LOL

These guys are the real deal. After I narrowed things down they brought out several cymbals for me to piece together as a set. I landed on a set of Paiste Dark Energy cymbals - 14" Mark I hats, 18" Mark I crash, and 22" Mark II ride.

I normally use a crash on the right too, but wanted to find a ride that covers both ride and crash duties. I think I found it. Plus, I have a big set of 2002s that can supplement this setup if/when needed. I'm shooting for using these three cymbals alone, though. I play in an original rock band, but also like playing funk and jazz at home.

Don't ever hesitate to visit Memphis Drum Shop if you're in the area. The staff is ridiculously nice and helpful! Huge thumbs up for these guys. CLASS ACTS!

I'm still getting to know the cymbals, but will post a video and stuff in the near future. Let's just say that getting to pick out cymbals from a stash of 5,000 or so was priceless!

This thread is from the first time I went 2-3 years ago > http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97806&highlight=memphis+drum+shop

Attachments

• paiste_dark_energy_set1.jpg
    paiste_dark_energy_set1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 993
  • benwhite1.jpg
    benwhite1.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 999
I'd love to stop in if I'm ever in that area again. I've enjoyed their video demos of cymbals as I try to narrow down what I want in my next group of cymbals.

Btw, your wife looks great in plaid!

Very cool, sounds like a GREAT shop to deal with. If I'm ever that way I'll definitely stop in!

The only two stops you need to make in Memphis: Memphis Drum Shop and Central Bar-B-Que.

Very cool, sounds like a GREAT shop to deal with. If I'm ever that way I'll definitely stop in!

Not sure where you're at, but I'm in St Louis and it's around a 4 hour drive. It's definitely worth it. Spend an evening on Beale St. eating BBQ, listening to live music, and drinking beer, then head to MDS the next day. Great trip. ha ha

Very cool indeed. Next time i am in the states I gotta go there and indulge.
Ben White gotta be the luckiest guy on the planet!

Ben White Appreciation Thread

I would not be surprised if it turned out I had listened to more of Ben White's playing in my life than any other drummer. Well, maybe a little.

Lovely looking cymbals, sounds like a great visit.

Let's just say that getting to pick out cymbals from a stash of 5,000 or so was priceless!

Yeah, worth the price of the upcharge right there.

Are Ben, the others DW forum members?

You did crow to the staff about the greatest drum forum on the web didn't you, how 10's of thousands read the Sgt's posts every day here on DW?

Thanks guys! Believe it or not, but people come into the store seeking out Ben White regularly! LOL... He and I chatted for 15-20 minutes. Very modest nice guy, just like you'd expect. He thinks it's a little crazy that people know who he is from those videos. ha ha

They told me that Vinnie C came in there once to select some cymbals and he asked to meet Ben White. NO JOKE! HA HA HA

Anyway, I went around the room and checked out lots of rides and kinda tentatively landed on the 22" Dark Energy MkII ride. Then I switched to checking out hats, with the DE's being the first set I tried. As soon as I hit them, I knew the hats were perfect!

I wasn't fully satisfied with a crash, which is what I thought would be the easiest choice. These guys brought out crash after crash for me to compare and I landed on the 18" DE crash.

I didn't HAVE to get a fully matching set, but I do like that and it ended up working out that way.

Such a great place, guys. Highly recommended if you're anywhere near Memphis!

PS - Also, I'm addicted to the MyCymbal.com videos. I watch them ALL THE FREAKING TIME. lol... While I wasn't start struck at all, it was still super cool talking to Ben.

Wow, I love these "I went to Memphis Drum Shop" stories - complete with pictures! I would love to meet the guys there too someday, especially Ben.

Nice set of Paiste's you got there. Those cover a lot of ground, musically.
See how long you can go without adding the extra crash on the right!

Neal

Nice set of Paiste's you got there. Those cover a lot of ground, musically.

See how long you can go without adding the extra crash on the right!

Thanks Neal. That was the idea - get a set that can cover anything I do. It will take a little time to determine if these can, but I think they are perfect!

Fighting the urge for a crash on the right is a huge issue with me. ha ha

I just about spit out my beer when I read this! ha ha
+1
Ben does a great job on the MyCymbals demos. Sometimes I wish he would crash a bit more without adding the bass drum so I could hear the crash by itself several times.

Hmmmm, not really to my taste, but if you like 'em that's all that counts.

Back