Thoughts on Ford gear?

TipsusMagnus

Please forgive me for being a little superficial, but for a long time, I refused to pay any attention to Ford Drums because...well, I thought they looked too hipster. But then I read an old issue of Drum! Magazine the other day, and it was giving great reviews on the Smart Ass Thrones and the Drumvee cases.

I might buy a new throne, snare drum case, and cymbal case in a few weeks. Aside from Roc n Soc (which is kind of my base line standard for drum thrones) and Ahead Armor cases (my standard for cases), I've been wondering if I should try the Smart Ass and Drumvees out. For one thing, the padding on the SA looks really nice for a heavy guy like me. And I like my brother's Ahead Armor cases, but since I'm looking to get one for me, at the very least, the Drumvees have padded straps and the Aheads don't.

I also don't know much about their pricing. My local dealer doesn't carry Ford stuff. What do you guys think?

... advertising works!

Just call FORD DRUMS, and ask why their stuff is so expensive, see what they say (and how they say it).

'Swedish' memory foam yes, but I did not see a 'fine Corinthian leather' option.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    168 KB · Views: 165
For what its worth, I am not a pro drummer, but collect gear like any other on here. I have never heard of them.
Kudos to them though - I do think its really imaginative to make a drum throne called a 'Smart Ass'.
The pattern on that throne is too hipster for me.

Don't worry about the general lack of publicity, Jimmy Ford has been around a while and does great work and sweet finishes. He's probably better known in Southern California,. and has done his time at NAMM and the Hollywood Drum Show (saw him playing and displaying there last month.) He's also a fabulous big band type drummer, and does 'Buddy' as well as the best.

I would absolutely trust his products.

Bermuda

I see Jimmy Ford almost on a daily basis since we both work at the same place, great guy. Very passionate about the drums he builds and, although not the same process as what they do at Guru, get a lot of loving attention in the build process. He just built a kit for another of my friends (who also works where we work) and that kit is phenomenal.

From what I understand, I think Ford Drums just got to do some distribution through the Guitar Center, so there would be another place you can find them. But they're local here in California, I would just call them direct. There's always someone there answering the phone.

I have a SA and i love it, regardless of what others may think...here is my not so hipster throne behind another name that seems to be subject of ridicule by some on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Drums in Santa Ana is about 15 min from me. I contacted them about cutting a few bearing edges for me and they were prompt and very friendly....GC recommended them for my bearing edges.

Regardless of the subjectivity of the "look", they have a passionate view about shells that I'm not sure about just yet; need more info...however, they build some sweet high quality stuff.

I personally lean towards the thinner shell format but am learning and investigating the differences...so really that opinion does not mean DOODLY SQUAT....and I'm guessing their stuff sounds fantastic.

There will be time when I order a kit from Ford. I wouldn't hesitate to take a close look

Last edited:
Bump! (Rather than starting a new, redundant thread) Is Ford Drums still in business? Website is offline, last Facebook Post was in May '18. Anyone have an inside scoop?

Back