Lubricant

I would think any non sticky and non dripping oil (bicycle, chain saw...) or grease should do the job if used in minimal quantites.

The advantage of a real high end drum oil is it comes in tiny little tuned bottles A thru G sharp, to match each shell's natural frequency.

Rem Oil Wipes. It is infused with Teflon, and is in a wipe. No dripping, spraying, gumming, smelling funny, or rusting. Just wipe on and go. It is not messy to use, and if it is good enough to lube and protect the inner-workings of firearms, it is definitely good enough for tension screws.

I dip my tension rods in vaseline. I have done this for a long time and have never had a problem and it works.

I can't believe all the stuff you all use to lube up the tension rods lol! You're not protecting vital engine parts for 100,000 miles, you're just trying to create less friction on tiny little screws lol!

One small drop of 3 n 1 on the last 4 or 5 threads of the tension rod is all that is needed, you then screw it in, back it out, put your head on and tune it up. Good lord lol!

I can't believe all the stuff you all use to lube up the tension rods lol! You're not protecting vital engine parts for 100,000 miles, you're just trying to create less friction on tiny little screws lol!

One small drop of 3 n 1 on the last 4 or 5 threads of the tension rod is all that is needed, you then screw it in, back it out, put your head on and tune it up. Good lord lol!

I can't see how using 3 in 1 is any less involved or takes any less time or effort than a dab of Vaseline. How is it any different? It all does the same job, no? And as far as I can see it all takes the same amount of time to apply.

I never said anything about time, to me the oil is thinner which lets the rods turn easier, it won't gunk up after collecting dust and dirt and keeps the lug nuts free of any debris. Grease IMO is not needed nor a good idea, just too thick and is overkill tbh.

As you noted, the idea is to create less friction. As long as the lube does that, I really don't reckon one product is any more or less right for the job than the other.

Last edited:
Well true both would help with less friction from metal to metal. Though a grease like substance will gunk up over time, especially in the lug nuts and will give inconsistent tension results especially when finger tightening the tension rods. 3 n 1 only creates a residue that's easily cleaned with a can of brake cleaner. That goes for the rods and lug nuts. Sure they both help with friction but with continued use one will gunk up more than the other over time, especially in the lug nuts.

Back