New drum kit! Woohoo 28" Ludwig kick. Need some help...

Sorry, my first time viewing this thread. Seriously, that bass drum sounds like someone's knocking on my front door with a toffee hammer. I've no idea how you got it tuned to deliver zero tone. Even understanding it's a phone recording, it's really terrible. I'm sure it can sound really good, but right now, it doesn't. Go with tuning advice, here & open that bad boy up!

Good luck :)

Thanks man! I'll keep all that stuff in mind. It's great to get everyones opinions and then test things out.

Here ya go boys and girls a real 28'' kick drum 28x24 DEEP No marching drum crap here.

Attachments

• 100_3651.JPG
    100_3651.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 781
inky

Re: New drum kit! Woohoo 28" Ludwig kick. Need some help...
Here ya go boys and girls a real 28'' kick drum 28x24 DEEP No marching drum crap here.

On 28" and larger BD's I would deff do the 12 lug thing... some of that marching drum crap.

I used a 28 for 10 years. I had 16x28, and 20x28.
They both sounded best to me with a coated ambassador batter with a 3x4" beater patch.
The deeper shell had 12 lugs and was a PITA to tune. The shell with 10 took no time at all. Loved the sound, and it was fun, but I got tired of hauling it. The 26's I use are just as fun, sound fantastic and feel better doing multiple strokes.
Have fun!!!

I play a 14x28 and a 16x26 and I can say from my own experience that I get the best sound (to my ears) with a PS3 batter and a fiberskyn reso or a Ludwig heavy reso. Batter is tuned just a little tighter than JAW (just a very little), and the reso is fairly tight. I use a 4" strip of felt on the reso and the kick is non-ported meaning I don't bury the beater. People (musicians and non-musicians alike) have complimented me on the sound. Now, some soundmen might want to cut a hole in your reso, but the good ones do not have problems. Nothing sounds like a big kick IMO...

Back