Disposable Gear

con struct

Platinum Member
I was at the studio yesterday evening, it had been awhile and it sure was nice to be back.

The studio kit included a snare I'd not seen there before; it had a unique sound the way it was tuned, very classic rock if you will, lots of body. It looked like just any other chrome snare drum; I looked closer and it was a 5 1/2 x14 Pearl Steel Shell, nice-looking drum, looked like new. I asked him when he'd got it, and he replied, "Oh, I don't know, guys are always leaving things behind after they're through recording."

i just can't get over it, leaving "things" behind. What must it be like to have that sort of dough? You've done the session, you don't need the drum anymore, maybe the studio can use it. Man!

When I pack up I do a couple of "idiot checks" to make damn sure I've got everything I brought with me. I just don't understand it. It may not be a top-of-the-line snare drum, but if it was mine I wouldn't just leave it behind. It's a damn nice-sounding Pearl metal shell snare drum.

Some things I'll never understand.

I did a session not long ago where I needed a few more cymbal stands than I had brought (I simply forgot to pack the extras.) They're one of the top studios and have been in business for decades, so I asked if they had a couple of stands around. They didn't, so I went to the local store, bought 2 decent stands for the session, and left them as a gift for future drummers who might need them in an emergency.

But, I guess that's different than forgetting something at the studio, and not coming back for it. I've never done that!

Bermuda

I did a session not long ago where I needed a few more cymbal stands than I had brought (I simply forgot to pack the extras.) They're one of the top studios and have been in business for decades, so I asked if they had a couple of stands around. They didn't, so I went to the local store, bought 2 decent stands for the session, and left them as a gift for future drummers who might need them in an emergency.

But, I guess that's different than forgetting something at the studio, and not coming back for it. I've never done that!

Bermuda

Precisely, see, I'm sure I'm talking about situations more along the lines of what you've just described. What can I say? Salute!

I was at the studio yesterday evening, it had been awhile and it sure was nice to be back.

The studio kit included a snare I'd not seen there before; it had a unique sound the way it was tuned, very classic rock if you will, lots of body. It looked like just any other chrome snare drum; I looked closer and it was a 5 1/2 x14 Pearl Steel Shell, nice-looking drum, looked like new. I asked him when he'd got it, and he replied, "Oh, I don't know, guys are always leaving things behind after they're through recording."

i just can't get over it, leaving "things" behind. What must it be like to have that sort of dough? You've done the session, you don't need the drum anymore, maybe the studio can use it. Man!

When I pack up I do a couple of "idiot checks" to make damn sure I've got everything I brought with me. I just don't understand it. It may not be a top-of-the-line snare drum, but if it was mine I wouldn't just leave it behind. It's a damn nice-sounding Pearl metal shell snare drum.

Some things I'll never understand.

I agree that is is an odd thing to do. I have a Pearl Export steel snare, which I like very much. I also do idiot checks so that I will not be one. Peace and goodwill.

Sorry, i don't have those kinds of resources...... that being said, I did hook up a friend with a bunch of things when he first opened his studio. Spare heads, hardware, throne,etc....

Sorry, i don't have those kinds of resources...... that being said, I did hook up a friend with a bunch of things when he first opened his studio. Spare heads, hardware, throne,etc....

The simple life is an abundant one.

That's what I keep telling myself.

And even if I did have the cash to regard drums as disposable I still wouldn't leave them at the studio. Rather give it to someone who needs one or can't afford it.

Leaving something in a studio is akin to wastefulness and not appreciatying the difference between chucking a $10 note onto the street or giving it to the Salvation guy on the corner.

Dutch

Sorry but, what's taken into any studio by me, gets taken back out by me. I'm not just talking drum equipment here.The studios where I work can afford to purchase what they need and having a drummer there to oversee that area of production, there are always spares of just about everything. Most drummers will bring their own equipment to a session, but quite a few will still use our studio kits for multiple reasons.

Dennis

Sorry but, what's taken into any studio by me, gets taken back out by me. I'm not just talking drum equipment here.The studios where I work can afford to purchase what they need and having a drummer there to oversee that area of production, there are always spares of just about everything. Most drummers will bring their own equipment to a session, but quite a few will still use our studio kits for multiple reasons.

Dennis

I always used the studio's drums, and I still do when I get the work. For jingles and soundtracks and that sort of work you have no choice.

Of course I leave my gear behind at gigs to save on lugging out. What civilised person would not? It actually works out cheaper than having one of my servants pop over in the helicopter to pick them up. Too many venues don't have private heliports and it really is an unbearable imposition!

Of course I leave my gear behind at gigs to save on lugging out. What civilised person would not? It actually works out cheaper than having one of my servants pop over in the helicopter to pick them up. Too many venues don't have private heliports and it really is an unbearable imposition!

When you do your N California tour, there's no problem leaving the Guru's here...

Don't even get me STARTED on the venues with no limousine garage! I can't tell you how many times I've had to have my fleet of limos airlifted onto the roof for the show.

And even if I did have the cash to regard drums as disposable I still wouldn't leave them at the studio. Rather give it to someone who needs one or can't afford it.

Leaving something in a studio is akin to wastefulness and not appreciatying the difference between chucking a $10 note onto the street or giving it to the Salvation guy on the corner.

Dutch

In my case, they were a couple of $39 stands. Hopefully they will help other drummers in the future who find themselves in the same situation I did that day. I think they're potentially a better gift for many, than to select one recipient who'd probably resent being given a pair of "cheap" stands.

I still think I did a good thing. There are skunks out there who would have bought and used the stands, then tried to return them for their money back.

Bermuda

One of my best friends is a guitarist, and his house has been a local "jam-spot" for...well, for a long time; I guess about 15 years or so. His house is like a magnet for people who don't care enough about their gear to make sure they take all of it with them.

He's absorbed a small suitcase PA, two decent combo amps (1 guitar, 1 bass), a bass guitar, an entire (albeit duct taped together) drum set, and various other musical doodads. I, personally, can't afford and don't desire to just leave stuff behind, but there are those who are not so serious about the craft and/or about their investment...'cause I've seen it, lol.

I usually leave my entire kit behind when I wear my cape,run off the stage and crash into a girl and get punched out by her boyfriend.

Then I have mommy go back and pick up my stuff cause I can..:):)

Steve B

My best friend bought his son some used drums from a Craigslist ad, so I went with him to look over the equipment. I noticed that the set was missing a couple pieces of hardware, so bought them for the kid (his parents don't have a lot of money).

But that's a lot different than leaving a snare behind. I'm still mad that I left the base of my conga stand somewhere, probably at a gig.

I get upset if I leave my almost-used-up roll of duct tape behind. geez .....

Yup. Me too.

I'm still beating myself up for the one time I left my drum rug behind, and that was over 10 years ago. But mostly I kick myself because I once lent to to be used at a Louie Bellson clinic, and I loved saying Louie Bellson once used my drum rug.

I have never left any actual musical gear.

Back