Extreme Rock/Pop Independence

feldiefeld

Having studied jazz a bunch, I realized that I could be applying the same type of independence ideas to a rock/pop context (eighth notes on the cymbal for starters). So, I've been working on this…..It is freeing me up a lot in my playing.

The most obvious application I see initially is 16th notes and different ways of breaking them up between hands and feet while maintaining eighth notes on the cymbal. Here's an example:

The-New-Indpendence-Sixteenths-hand-foot-combos-part-one-illustration.png

There's a much more in depth worksheet here:

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/the-new-independence-16th-note-hand-foot-combos-part-one/

Worth pursuing…..Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks for another interesting one! It is always appreciated.

A quick FYI, (which I'll bet that you already know!) is that Gary Chester had his students play the "melody" with the snare drum as well. He'd take all of the reading material and ultimately, the student was to handle it with every limb. A true lifetime of practice from the New Breed and that's without even touching volume 2.

I did not know that, although it makes sense. I have spent time working in the book too. I think it's terrific, and I use it with students. I do see this idea of a more open ended rock/pop independence as a way to ultimately be able to improvise and even solo in a groove context. I do think that being able to play 2 and 4 comes first because it is what you'll be asked to do most often. But, these ideas will strengthen your time sense, your technique and hopefully give you some new ideas.....

Back