Newbie Checking In

Sirraf

Greetings. Glad I found this forum! I just bought my first drum set, a 5 piece alpine green Pearl Export kit with B8 crash, B8 pro, and B8 hi hat and Evans heads for $425 used. I am as green as the grass, but excited to get started. I've hired a drum instructor in Nashville, TN in hopes to get a good foundation. I am 28 years old so I know I am getting started really late. Hope to learn a lot from you guys! Any tips and tricks for beginners appreciated.

Greetings. Glad I found this forum! I just bought my first drum set, a 5 piece alpine green Pearl Export kit with B8 crash, B8 pro, and B8 hi hat and Evans heads for $425 used. I am as green as the grass, but excited to get started. I've hired a drum instructor in Nashville, TN in hopes to get a good foundation. I am 28 years old so I know I am getting started really late. Hope to learn a lot from you guys! Any tips and tricks for beginners appreciated.

Check here before you buy any more cymbals - ha ha.
Have fun with the new kit. Lessons are a good idea for a while,.
And don't worry about your age. Lots of people have started a lot later.

Check here before you buy any more cymbals - ha ha.

Amen brother! Well said.

I'm sorta a newbie myself although did play for over 30 years, took a 15 year vacation and have jumped back in at 55 years "young".

Lessons are good although one who has never played can learn quite a bit off of videos on where else...YouTube.

Best of luck to you and enjoy!

Late! I started 4 years ago at age 51! I can only pass on what was passed on to me. Get a teacher to get you started. You've done that! Only buy good cymbals, used! Drums are all about patience. The more you rush to master the drums, the slower the process will be.

Thanks guys. My instructor told me to just listen to my favorite bands this week and try to play along before our first lesson to get acclimated to my drum set. I can play along a little to some Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle songs that are simple.

welcome drum brother ! you have everything you need for gear for now. longer term, think about better cymbals. one big win is the many cool TN drum shops to check out used/new cymbals later on.

tips: (1) everything will sound 100% better if it is in time / in the pocket...so concentrate on that as you go through the journey. (2) watch out for information overload online & pick some key concepts to work on over 1 year at a time. (3) watch out for "online copy cat syndrome" (that vanilla gospel chops trend). think about what your unique voice is every day...1% better every day.

Welcome!

This forum is a wonderful resource.

Remember that music is a discipline, but you do it for fun.

You started at the right time for you.

Hi Sirraf and welcome to DW. Just my two cents, look for a good throne, music stand and a metronome. Sounds like you found a nice instructor and he/she should help with those. At this point just have fun till you get a few months in then between you and the help of your instructor and maybe some of us we can help with some simple up grades. Believe it or not, I think this is the best time of a drummer’s career just starting out. I am kind of old but, take a listen to some Eagles songs easy to play a long too.

Have fun you new friend Force3005.

Welcome.

Gear is just about money and taste. Just get playing.

Offcourse, there are a few nice tools available today in app form that many of us didn't grow up with:

Pro Metronome:
Best metronome app I've found

Drumjam:
Drum loops from Pete Loclett. I use this instead of a metronome most of the time. Way more fun an it trains your listening skills and ability to lock in better.

Amazing slowdowner:
Lets you slow down music straight from Spotify. Great for figuring out parts that are a bit too fast.

Back