Does anyone else have an Axis pedal?

So I just got a used axis ax-x pedal, and it feels incredible. However, since it is used, I was thinking of taking it apart and cleaning it up. I cleaned a lot of it, but one thing I couldnt understand was the bar on the top that the spring, beater, and shaft is connected to. I hope yinz know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, I just couldnt take it out, and I didn't want to force anything. Is this something thats not supposed to come out? Also, I didn't do much research on the schematics of pedals, only went off my own tastes when it came to the feel, and are there no bearings on this pedal?

This is probably a simple question i'm sure, ive just never really played with an axis or direct drive pedal before.

Thanks all!

So I just got a used axis ax-x pedal, and it feels incredible. However, since it is used, I was thinking of taking it apart and cleaning it up. I cleaned a lot of it, but one thing I couldnt understand was the bar on the top that the spring, beater, and shaft is connected to. I hope yinz know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, I just couldnt take it out, and I didn't want to force anything. Is this something thats not supposed to come out? Also, I didn't do much research on the schematics of pedals, only went off my own tastes when it came to the feel, and are there no bearings on this pedal?

This is probably a simple question i'm sure, ive just never really played with an axis or direct drive pedal before.

Thanks all!

Axis uses 1/4" bearings. The main shaft is held in place with a locking clip. There should be no reason to remove this shaft.

If you loosened the two set screws labeled # 11 in pic below, then spun the shaft, you could be in for trouble. The shaft has a flat spot the screws rest on, the rest of the shaft is round. If the # 11 set screws are not on the flat spot of shaft, you may get slippage.

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 4,565
Axis uses 1/4" bearings. The main shaft is held in place with a locking clip. There should be no reason to remove this shaft.

If you loosened the two set screws labeled # 11 in pic below, then spun the shaft, you could be in for trouble. The shaft has a flat spot the screws rest on, the rest of the shaft is round. If the # 11 set screws are not on the flat spot of shaft, you may get slippage.

I own an Axis A2.

Referring to the image above, I would say you could generally take apart parts A, B and C if you really wanted to clean them, but I'd recommend NOT ever taking apart all the parts with numbers, unless you know what you're doing and are being pretty careful.

That said, I recommend not taking it apart at all, just go over it with a toothbrush, an old rag and some WD-40. Maybe a can of compressed air too.

Lastly, parts A, B and C are adjustment controls -- they're designed to be adjusted, but I wouldn't do it often. Find the setting you like and try not to mess with it much after that, unless your style of playing changes.

(I say this because I've broken a part on my Axis (the thing that contains the actual bearings) because I screwed down the allen screws too tight and they cracked the casing. I got a replacement part from Axis with no trouble but this caused me a lot of worry and hassle in the meantime!)

Last edited:
DO NOT TAKE APART THE PEDAL, unless you work for axis hardware or have easy access to one of their engineers. It is a really big problem if you loose something or accidentally break it by moving something that wasnt ment to be moved. If you are going to clean it, clean it just how it is and dont take it apart, because you may not be able to put it back together, then who's going to look like a fool, ringing axis hardware and asking for help after being told not to take it apart :p. Have fun and keep rockin! \\m//

Thanks for the advice all.

I guess theres just not much to do with this pedal in terms of disassembling and cleaning. I had a DW5000 before this and I spent a good hour each year cleaning it out. I enjoyed it though, it's some weird thing... I love cleaning things, like computers, too. I must admit i'm a little disappointed I cant clean the Axis, but thats not really why I bought it anyhow, now is it! haha

Again, thanks.

ZB

Thanks all!

So, do you take it all the way apart, or give-in to the fear mongering?

G'head, take it all apart. Axis don't care... if'n ya know what yer doin. The show stopper's gonna be the main axle shafts, you'll need to press them out due to the locking clip. Use a new clip when replacing.

If you're not comfortable with pressing the shaft out, leave it alone mate.

Below pic☟ is what you'll get pic 1.

Notice the flat section the # 11 screws rest on pic 2.

Also notice screws were set off the flat section almost onto roundness (note indents). This was a case of messing with the #11 screws. pic 3.

The output shaft ends (the end hex piece) are screwed on like a nut, which gives the illusion the whole shaft is hex shaped. Axis uses loc-tight on everything, so beware. Happy screwing.

Pic notes- pics are of main aux shaft, main pedal shaft is the same, only longer. Been sitting out of pedal for years, hence the rust.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    291 KB · Views: 1,410
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,365
Thanks for the pictures, they are actually pretty helpful.

I did take most of the pedal apart and cleaned what I could. I am no pedal expert, but consider myself pretty proficient at understanding a lot of them. This new pedal opened up an entirely new chapter in learning for me, which is worth more to me than the pedal itself. I didn't force out the main axle, I started on it, but felt that it was best left in as I wasn't using the best of tools for the operation and I didn't want to ruin it.

I didn't force out the main axle, I started on it, but felt that it was best left in as I wasn't using the best of tools for the operation and I didn't want to ruin it.

If you moved the locking clips at all, you'll have slop (Axis uses 2 locking clips side by side, my pic shows only 1).

It takes some force to move it, but if, just snug-up with a screwdriver, not too tight as to bind the bearing though.

Auto brake or carb cleaner blasted into the bearings will flush the dirt out. Re-lube with something nice, but not WD-40 which dries out ugly fast.

I have an Axis single, and won't disassemble it unless there's something broken or really loose. I do the brush/carb cleaner/lithium grease method to keep it in good shape.

I feel in love with these due to their adjustability and light weight and it's hard to go back. Basic PM will keep yours running smooth and tight for a long time.

I think between some sort of cleaning spray, a clean lint-free cloth, an old toothbrush, and an air compressor, you should be able to get just about any sort of drum hardware about as as clean as you would want it.

Back