Protechtor Elite Air Cases?

ProgDrummer

I need some new cases and these guys keep on popping up. They have advertisements saying they will fit exact size of drums, with or without the suspension rims (which I have, '06 Gretsch). Does anyone that has had experience with these cases know if these accusations are true? Thanks!

I have old Protechtor cases, not the newer models. I mean like over 10 years old. The cases were good, the foam in the cases sucked. It ripped and tore easily, fell out of the cases, etc. It actually messed up some of my drums a bit with the sticky double sided tape that sticks to the cases (and the drums) but not the foam. Impact cases had better foam and I think were cheaper.
If you go with protechtor, you might want to forget the foam lining. Or at least look into if they ever addressed the obvious flaws.

Well my order for my Protechtor cases came in today and I am happy to say they all fit. They seem to be made of sturdy material. If you can find em for a steal (like I did) go for it.

Protechtor cases are really well built with excellent materials. Very durable.

BUT...the problem with the factory installed foam is that it tears when I take my drum in and out of the case. Mainly because the case bows slightly towards the middle and the tube lugs catch the foam edges.

I believe there is a case on the market that is similar, but the factory installed foam has a cloth liner to cover the top and it's sewn closed to prevent this tearing. I wish I knew what that case was called.

Attachments

• _DSC0125_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0125_edited-1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 308
  • _DSC0126_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0126_edited-1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 310
  • _DSC0128_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0128_edited-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 309
  • _DSC0133_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0133_edited-1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 303
BUT...the problem with the factory installed foam is that it tears when I take my drum in and out of the case.

This happens with ALL cases with that crappy foam lining in them.

I believe there is a case on the market that is similar, but the factory installed foam has a cloth liner to cover the top and it's sewn closed to prevent this tearing. I wish I knew what that case was called.

SKB's RotoX cases have that lining. It won't tear or crumble like that cursed foam from the other cases, but the edges of it still can come unglued from the case. It's a simple fix, though, and a whole lot cleaner.

Also, another alternative that I've done in the past with my old Fibrecases (the cardboardy ones), which I'm sure would work in a hard plastic case without a lining, is to line it with carpet. Not only does it protect the drum's finish, but it also adds a little cushion and makes the case a little sturdier. I haven't tried it in a plastic case, though, but I'm sure it would work wonders, and be a lot less messy.

Oh, and I have some Air Elite cases, but none of them are the exact depth of my drums, so the "suspension" doesn't come into play for me. I DO like the portion of the case for the RIMS-style mount to fit in, which is why I originally bought them. Then, I realized that you can fit just about any suspension mount (except for DWs and other HUGE ones) into the appropriate-sized SKB case, as long as the mount is in the "corner" of the case.

Also, another alternative that I've done in the past with my old Fibrecases (the cardboardy ones), which I'm sure would work in a hard plastic case without a lining, is to line it with carpet.

The best carpet I've found is cabinet carpet, or auto carpet by the roll. You can get colours, its easy to cut and it won't take up space horizontally, spry adhesive to plastic or fiber cases, can be doubled-up.

Last edited:
Regarding the Elite Air cases' concept- I get it, but if the insides of the lids are touching the drum and not the top of the main case cylinder, then wouldn't it mess with head tension during storage/transport if you tightened the lids down even slightly, and then by the same token, affect it even more if the drums are stacked in storage? Seems like each drum's top rim would be pushed down by the weight of the drums above it, effectively over-stretching heads, loosening lug screws due to the rim being pushed down without the screws being turned, etc... Any thoughts/experiences?

Back