Best of 2010.

Not at all, Lopez was a very expressive, emotive drummer who brought in some really cool latin and jazz influences, there is a real cool shuffle feel with him drumming and he knows how to balance taste and chops.

I think his unique drum style really shows on Damnation, Axe couldn't play that, Axe is too traditionally metal.

Lopez never blasted, Axe is one of those drummers whose play style is completely ingrained with it, he is a death drummer.

I agree, I think Lopez's groove is nearly unparalleled, but I think Axe was just trying to impress with his first album with them. I think he too has nice groove but just leaves less space. He has great potential, and if anyone can replace Lopez's place with them it would be him.

Four Tet - There Is Love In You

This was an incredible first listen in a dark room late at night, and i still believe its one of the best electronic albums i've heard, but it hasn't grown on my as i'd hoped. Probably over-listened at the start!

Also in a similar vein was Caribou - Swim, v.good.

High violet never quite hit the heights everyone said it did for me, a bit too downbeat and slightly samey. Still good though. Same with Arcade Fire's, haven't managed to get into it at all, perhaps because its so mammothly long.

YES, CAKE AND TOOL 2011!

I agree, I think Lopez's groove is nearly unparalleled, but I think Axe was just trying to impress with his first album with them. I think he too has nice groove but just leaves less space. He has great potential, and if anyone can replace Lopez's place with them it would be him.

He is an excellent drummer, Hades Rising by Bloodbath really shows off what he is capable of and I remember there being a really complex solo in I think it was Porcelain Heart. I don't have a problem with Axe, I can just name plenty of other drummers that can do what he does just as well, I can't say the same for Lopez.

For me I'd say:

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Weapon - From the Devil's tomb
Dragobrath - Fra Myrer Taake

and the new Melechesh album was alright but not as great as the last

I found this year to be a bit slow... depends on what you listen to though. I didn't give the new accept album a big chance, just doesn't seem the same without Udo.

Hmm... a black metal fan, don't see too many of those on this particular forum.

Watain's new album was good, perhaps a tad generic though, certainly no Casus Luciferi.

Personally I don't like the NWOBHM (New wave of "black" heavy metal).

A lot of black metal artists, particularly those that have been around since the 90s are taking too much of traditional metal and painting it black stylistically.

Too many throw backs, too much unoriginal song writing, the same old tricks/riffs regurgitated to a new 100 page lyrical booklet.

Under all their theatrics, Watain are one of the prime examples of this trend, I just wish Black Metal bands would continue to push forward instead of looking backwards.

Norway's Cor Scorpii are a band I feel are moving in the right direction. Wolves in the Throne Room and Cobalt from the USBM scene as well.

For me I'd say:

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Weapon - From the Devil's tomb
Dragobrath - Fra Myrer Taake

and the new Melechesh album was alright but not as great as the last

I found this year to be a bit slow... depends on what you listen to though. I didn't give the new accept album a big chance, just doesn't seem the same without Udo.

Last edited:
These are my favorite subject because Drum give me a peace of mind.
Anathema - We're here because we're here
Alter Bridge - ABIII
Enslaved
Mar De Grises - Streams Inwards

I think we agree on a few things, how fantastic was the new Mar De Grises, I cannot believe how many incredible doom albums Chile is putting out at the moment.

Watain's new album was good, perhaps a tad generic though, certainly no Casus Luciferi.

Personally I don't like the NWOBHM (New wave of "black" heavy metal).

A lot of black metal artists, particularly those that have been around since the 90s are taking too much of traditional metal and painting it black stylistically.

Too many throw backs, too much unoriginal song writing, the same old tricks/riffs regurgitated to a new 100 page lyrical booklet.

Under all their theatrics, Watain are one of the prime examples of this trend, I just wish Black Metal bands would continue to push forward instead of looking backwards.

Norway's Cor Scorpii are a band I feel are moving in the right direction. Wolves in the Throne Room and Cobalt from the USBM scene as well.

I guess it all depends on what type of bm you listen to. Watain for me seems to be far from any trend, their new album has gone a lot further away from their old influences and developed their own sound (not to say their old stuff was unoriginal). I don't mean to be rude, but speaking of unoriginal song writings I would say Cor Scorpii is a prime example. I don't mind their stuff, but it sounds like a mock of Windir, considering half their members are from the band, they just seem to be one of those "we can't accept the fact that Windir is done" bands.

There are plenty of great BM bands with original music, it's just not easy to pick them out amongst all the shitty bands that are out there. One example would be Nyktalgia, all their instruments are played really well and their music is very original.

Caro Emerald, a Dutch pop/jazz singer, released a very good album that has hit big in the top charts. Her tunes are very catchy. Not that I'm implying that her debut this year is one of the best albums that have come out, maybe not at all. But she's worth mentioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46soe7wsxng

Well, I would have to say:

Something I went BACK to- Larry Young- "unity." Hadnt heard, or put in for a while, Elvin still kills.

But for NEW albums, MElvins- "The bride Screamed Murder!"

Plus, I don't remember if came out in 2009 or 2010

Portishead "third"

And POS- "NEVER BETTER"

Well, I would have to say:

Something I went BACK to- Larry Young- "unity." Hadnt heard, or put in for a while, Elvin still kills.

But for NEW albums, MElvins- "The bride Screamed Murder!"

Plus, I don't remember if came out in 2009 or 2010

Portishead "third"

And POS- "NEVER BETTER"

Haha I had to look up Third too, one of my favorite albums, it was 2008 surprisingly, the youtube feature of them rehearsing was brilliant.

My favorite album of 2010 is Blond Redhead's Penny Sparkle.

Count me in. I prefer the almighty Emperor, Satyricon (not all but most. Yes I DO like Rebel Extravaganza!), ULVER, and Enslaved.

I am not really a fan of Dimmu Borgir completely. I like STORMBLAST, but not so much some of the newer things.

I think Cradle is good at points, they are Black metal-esque?! Seen them, it was on the Cruelty tour, Very good, but they went south.

Id say Ulver, being what they are amazing. Nattens Madigral is one of the BEst BM albums, besides Mayhems, De Mysterious dom Sathanas and In the Nightside Eclipse.

Not a fan of Immortal though. Dark Throne is ok if you want primal stuff.

I love the aesthetic of black metal. You can't just put Sigil of Baphomet or pictures of "demons" in your art and be great as a band. I prefer Emperor as THE BEST black metal band, ever.

Ther is a group out of California though, who actually arent that bad. Sothis? Reminds of older black metal.

How can you forget 1349! YES!

Haha I had to look up Third too, one of my favorite albums, it was 2008 surprisingly, the youtube feature of them rehearsing was brilliant.

My favorite album of 2010 is Blond Redhead's Penny Sparkle.

The track they did for amnesty international? Yeah that is cool! Live at Roseland DVD is awesome as well. 2008? Wow time flys.

I guess it all depends on what type of bm you listen to. Watain for me seems to be far from any trend, their new album has gone a lot further away from their old influences and developed their own sound (not to say their old stuff was unoriginal). I don't mean to be rude, but speaking of unoriginal song writings I would say Cor Scorpii is a prime example. I don't mind their stuff, but it sounds like a mock of Windir, considering half their members are from the band, they just seem to be one of those "we can't accept the fact that Windir is done" bands.

There are plenty of great BM bands with original music, it's just not easy to pick them out amongst all the shitty bands that are out there. One example would be Nyktalgia, all their instruments are played really well and their thmusic is very original.

That is fair enough, you are certainly not alone in liking Watain, Terrorizer publicised the hell out of their latest release. Personally, I don't really like black metal that tries to be crust punk, or black metal that is heavy and raw, purely for the sake of being heavy and raw.

I have no real problem with heaviness in general but there is a difference between being heavy and being heavy to be "brutal" for death metallists or "grim" for black. If there is a point to the heaviness, if it reflects upon something, that is a different story. I find Watain are all style, with little substance.

I didn't find your comments on Cor Scorpii rude, each to their own, I find Cor Scorpii are attempting to do something with a more progressive strain of black metal. I'd agree with the Windir comment, but I don't see where the issue with Cor Scorpii sounding like Windir is when as you said, half the members are from Windir. I wouldn't expect them to abandon their artistic dreams because the band failed.

I agree with the comment on the shitty bands and happen to be a huge fan of Nyktalgia myself, they are fantastic, glad to hear of someone else listening to them. Their last album wasn't quite up to the level of their debut though, still incredibly solid however.

Last edited:
That is fair enough, you are certainly not alone in liking Watain, Terrorizer publicised the hell out of their latest release. Personally, I don't really like black metal that tries to be crust punk, or black metal that is heavy and raw, purely for the sake of being heavy and raw.

I have no real problem with heaviness in general but there is a difference between being heavy and being heavy to be "brutal" for death metallists or "grim" for black. If there is a point to the heaviness, if it reflects upon something, that is a different story. I find Watain are all style, with little substance.

I didn't find your comments on Cor Scorpii rude, each to their own, I find Cor Scorpii are attempting to do something with a more progressive strain of black metal. I'd agree with the Windir comment, but I don't see where the issue with Cor Scorpii sounding like Windir is when as you said, half the members are from Windir. I wouldn't expect them to abandon their artistic dreams because the band failed.

I agree with the comment on the shitty bands and happen to be a huge fan of Nyktalgia myself, they are fantastic, glad to hear of someone else listening to them. Their last album wasn't quite up to the level of their debut though, still incredibly solid however.

Thanks, yeah when talking to people some get very offended if you don't agree with them. That's why I didn't want to come across as rude. Watain, for me seems to have only gotten the publicity as a side affect of their music. They're new album has a lllot of depth to it and they've had the same image since they began. It's not so much an image for them as it is a part of what they practice. I agree the first Nyktalgia album was better, but both still great they haven't lost/changed their style at all.

P.S. don't mind the delayed response I don't get e-mails from the site so I didn't see this until now.

And now for something completely different....

Imelda May - Mayhem

Back