slide technique / punk drums

Didn't realise there was such a thing as a "standard punk beat". Couldn't you also achieve the same result with heel toe?

Didn't realise there was such a thing as a "standard punk beat". Couldn't you also achieve the same result with heel toe?

As far as I'm aware this is a pretty standard punk beat. Every fat wreckords, epitaph, and sk8 punk band was doing it in the 90's and 00's and still are
someone can back me up on this I'm sure

and for heel toe id say no. Heel toe is good for a long run of 16ths for the most part but this is easier for a double to me, and if you play/watch punk drums, this is how everyone does it. this video was to show the technique. there are many techniques to achieve the same thing. this is just one.

Yes, this is pretty much the 'go to' punk beat, commonly known as the 'D-beat'. It is very possible with heel toe drumming, as that is how I always do it. It's just a matter of what you're most comfortable with.

Why the focus on sliding your foot that small distance? Does it really help you go faster? Doesn't it focus the brunt of your effort on the first hit of that double?

Not trying to be a punk (pun unfortunately intended.) just curious. I think I pretty much just move my leg faster and I wonder why the little slide is needed. Do you adjust the length of the slide for different tempos?

Why the focus on sliding your foot that small distance? Does it really help you go faster? Doesn't it focus the brunt of your effort on the first hit of that double?

Not trying to be a punk (pun unfortunately intended.) just curious. I think I pretty much just move my leg faster and I wonder why the little slide is needed. Do you adjust the length of the slide for different tempos?

I do use the slide technique from time to time, for those passes that aren't fast enough to facilitate the use of heel toe, but are too fast for me to just do two singles. I'm sure it can be played at slower tempos, but for me it's a bit tricky. You do get more fluent and even strikes when you just muscle through it, but if you work on it enough, you can get the same result out of any of the different techniques.

You know,, I've never put that much thought into it... I used to play in punk bands for years with a single pedal... This is always the GOTO beat for all of the FAT and epitaph bands from the 90's skate punk era

I find the faster I go the less distance I slide. but it actually helps me keep the strokes pretty even.. and conserves energy from just making 2 actual strokes.. I can get them louder when doing the slide.. mind you, to get it down very well its not something that happens overnight.

I guess the main reason is I can do one slide.. faster than I can do 2 single strokes with my right foot.... I don't like heel toe unless I'm doing a large run of 16th notes. so I guess your right. speed is the main reason...

As you progress with this, the slide becomes a twitch. Slower tempo is a slide, faster tempo is a twitch. When I use the "slide technique" these days, you can't really distinguish the motion that results in the double stroke. The slide technique varies a lot - I've seen drummers do it with a rotation of the foot (appearing almost like a modified swivel technique).

I'm sure I'll get lynched for saying it, but I've always felt the slide is more efficient than Heel / Toe. It seems more consistent.

I've always felt the slide is more efficient than Heel / Toe. It seems more consistent.

completely agree

but then again I've been using slide since before I knew there was a name for it and before I knew what the hell a "technique" was .....was never taught it....it just happened when I was a kid and is ingrained in me.

my first actual teacher that wasn't my brother asked me where I learned slide and I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about

years later I learned heel/toe....which felt more comfortable to me as toe/heel ......I worked on it for a long time and perfected it enough to teach it....but it never bled into my playing

personally not a huge fan of it but it works well for many people

I agree 100%.. slide all day long for a beat like that.. or even a quick double... but if i gotta do a run of 16th notes at 230 its heel toe all day.

every technique has its spot. I'll switch stick grips french/german feet techniques and all kinds of stuff in the same song... whatever is the least effort to come out with the best result

completely agree

but then again I've been using slide since before I knew there was a name for it and before I knew what the hell a "technique" was .....was never taught it....it just happened when I was a kid and is ingrained in me.

my first actual teacher that wasn't my brother asked me where I learned slide and I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about

years later I learned heel/toe....which felt more comfortable to me as toe/heel ......I worked on it for a long time and perfected it enough to teach it....but it never bled into my playing

personally not a huge fan of it but it works well for many people

Toe-heel has always worked better for me than heel-toe. I have a little thing I do where, depending on the height of my ankle before the initial stroke, I can get doubles, triples, or even quadruples out of it.

Toe-heel has always worked better for me than heel-toe. I have a little thing I do where, depending on the height of my ankle before the initial stroke, I can get doubles, triples, or even quadruples out of it.

I always do heel toe, and I know exactly what you mean. My favorite part about the technique, is being able to just rock your foot back and forth, and get consistent measure of 16th notes on a single pedal, without much effort. Of course, not at 200bpm, but I'm certainly not a metal drummer.

Back