Drum Making Schools or places to learn?

pete0093

Hey everyone!

I am new on here but I've known about site for quite a while. I'm a music major at University of River Falls Wisconsin. I have been playing drum set for over 8 years. I am thinking about making drums when i graduate or maybe trying to find a job at a drum company. Do any of you know about any schools for drum making or places to learn to make drums?

I've never in my life heard of a class about making drums.

There is a DVD out there called guerrilla drum making. Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Making drums is similar in many ways to making any other high end well made item made from wood, using a router, drill, sanding, learning about different finishes.

As for jobs, there do exist, but as covered in some other threads on this topic, they are very few and far between.

i think if you already have the shells with the bearings ground on them you could probably manage to put together the rest with some guidance from various web sites. Making a shell is a different kettle of fish altogether that requires specialized, expensive equipment you can't just buy at home depot. You'd probably have to be hired by a shell company or a drum company that makes shells and learn to do it as an apprentice.

I've never in my life heard of a class about making drums.

There is a DVD out there called guerrilla drum making. Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Making drums is similar in many ways to making any other high end well made item made from wood, using a router, drill, sanding, learning about different finishes.

As for jobs, there do exist, but as covered in some other threads on this topic, they are very few and far between.

If you or any one is interested in building a custom kit I just finished getting a full semester class put together in the fine wood working department of RRCC in Golden Colorado Fall 2012. I dont know if this is against the forum's "business venture/advertising clause" But i wanted to announce it to some one as I'm very excited. The class will cover keller shells, bending and molding your own ply shells, vacuum veneering, spray lacquering and a variety of other professional topics. If you ever wanted to know how to do anything now is your chance.

Back