So why two 16s?

M

Matt Bo Eder

Someone posted this on the Ludwig Drums FB page, and I don't recall seeing anything on this, so I'll pass it along to you guys:

Why did Buddy use two 16 floor toms? And why not 16 and 18, or 14 and 16? Perhaps there's a historian here who knows why?

while there are a few vids showing him actually using two floor toms, my understanding was that the second floor tom was really nothing more than a prop for him in most instances and served as a holder of towels, miscellaneous items, etc.. The actual size of the drum therefore really didn't make much of a difference to him.

Someone posted this on the Ludwig Drums FB page, and I don't recall seeing anything on this, so I'll pass it along to you guys:

Why did Buddy use two 16 floor toms? And why not 16 and 18, or 14 and 16? Perhaps there's a historian here who knows why?

AFAIK he didn't really play his second 16". He tended to keep his towel there.

while there are a few vids showing him actually using two floor toms, my understanding was that the second floor tom was really nothing more than a prop for him in most instances and served as a holder of towels, miscellaneous items, etc.. The actual size of the drum therefore really didn't make much of a difference to him.

Yes, I've heard that one too. I've even seen drinks on there ;) But can that be the only reason? I've seen him actually play the second floor tom once or twice when I saw him live - it just sounds too simple of an answer to say "well it was used as a prop for towels and drinks". I'm expecting a heated discussion on the subject ;)

I have 2. They are tuned dramatically differently. One tuned around normally then the other one is extremely low, just above wrinkle.

many kits back in the day came stock with two of the same size toms

whether it was double 12s or 13s up top or double 16s on the floor .... it was very common

My experience with playing two floor toms is that I only go for the second one now and then because I can.
There is a video where Joe Morello jokes that one almost never plays the second floor tom.
It is mostly for show for most players of that era.
I found that placing the second floor tom next to my hi-hats was most effective.
I have trouble with my back and it is hard for me to turn to my left so I stopped putting a floor tom on my left. Otherwise I would always have a floor tom on either side.

Karl Crafton plays 3 floor toms.

It is convenient to have a table for your stuff. Plus you can play it.

Here's an interesting tidbit - Eli Konikoff in Spyro Gyra's heyday - used a 16x16 floor tom in the rack position on his Yamaha Recording Custom kit in the 80s. Looked kinda wacky but it worked I suppose.

Back