What is the slowest BPM song you enjoy playing

No idea what BPM this is.. have never figurd out a bpm in my life.. but it's slow.. i find playing this slow much harder than fast stuff..

My Hairs!

Sorry, never figured how to embed..

No idea what BPM this is.. have never figurd out a bpm in my life.. but it's slow.. i find playing this slow much harder than fast stuff..

My Hairs!

Sorry, never figured how to embed..

Yea, that taps around 55! Speeds up later for the build.

There is also the difference between how a song is counted.

If you're playing a half time groove, the song will sound slower than the BPM.

"If You Don't Know Me By Now", a remake by Simply Red, I don't think it's actually that slow of a BPM, I think the drummer is just playing a half time beat.

If you listen to the guitars for where the 1 is, the temp is approx 94 BPM.
The snare is on 3, not 2 and 4.

Many slow ballads can easily be thought of in a similar way.

.."If You Don't Know Me By Now", a remake by Simply Red, I don't think it's actually that slow of a BPM, I think the drummer is just playing a half time beat..

..The snare is on 3..

In that case you would be playing the song kinda like an English Waltz, 123 123, etc..

I see that song as 6/8, meaning the snare will be on 4, like 123456 123456, etc..

The Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes version too btw..

Edit.

Or you count that as a 6 over 4 polyrythm..?

In that case the snare would be indeed on 3..

Sorry, music and math is not my best part..lol..

Last edited:
In that case you would be playing the song kinda like an English Waltz, 123 123, etc..

I see that song as 6/8, meaning the snare will be on 4, like 123456 123456, etc..

The Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes version too btw..

No, it's certainly not a waltz.

4/4 with triplets is the same as 12/8.

You could count it either way.

A quick google search of the sheet music shows some places have it written at 6/8, some as 12/8.

But the point is, the BPM is not necessarily slow if you count it as a half time feel.

..4/4 with triplets is the same as 12/8.

You could count it either way.

A quick google search of the sheet music shows some places have it written at 6/8, some as 12/8..

Correct..

Like i said after i edited my previous post, math and music are not my best part..

But playing the song like that would feel to me as if i would constantly play 6 over 4 and i am not feeling the song like that..

Correct..

Like i said after i edited my previous post, math and music are not my best part..

But playing the song like that would feel to me as if i would constantly play 6 over 4 and i am not feeling the song like that..

No, not 6 over 4

12 over 4.

4/4 with triplets. = 12 notes.

Just turn on a metronome to 4/4 at 94 BPM.

Then play the song.

It lines up.

Funeralopolis by Electric Wizard

A sweet, slow (and heavy) 63 BPM that just groves. It does pick up some speed later, but it takes some time ;P

Stoner/doom is fun. Even if you don't "partake".

I used to like playing Amazing Grace when I had the church gig. We played it at about 60 BPM. It takes confidence to come in with a steady beat on a slow ballad, the first few times it was very nerve racking, I was so worried I'd screw it up.

I don't have any idea the BPM for the stuff we play... We tend to play more ballads than many of the other bar bands around here, so we do play plenty of slow songs.

I've found that playing slow AND playing well is perhaps tougher than playing fast, or what constitutes fast in my world. (No thrash/speed metal stuff in our repertoire, heh.) I do enjoy it, its simply a different challenge, to do the song justice.

Keeping the tempo in check is my biggest priority, as like many bands, we can have a tendency to speed things up too often. (Not just me, the other guys in the group, we take turns.) I've tried to really pay closer attention to this over the last year, especially after seeing videos folks have put up on Facebook of us playing. Sobering, sometimes.

Ditto, re: "If You Don't Know Me By Now", and I'll add "Babylon Sisters".

Back