Looking forward

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Is happiness really looking forward to something?

In my garage band, we have a gig this weekend and another one next month. In my studio jam band, we have no gigs lined up. Seems like unless I make it happen, there will be no gigs. Three of the five members are complaining about not having a gig. It tends to lower moral and create disinterest. I know it does for me.

Even though gigs don't pay on this level, and even if you get a gig, all the money goes back into the band's expenses rather than out of your pocket. But in the garage band we have high moral, and everybody is excited about the band and playing a couple gigs here shortly. I know I am.

I'm even getting an extra rehearsal in today. I'm getting in to work early because I have one today at 3:30 with most of the garage band, and then I do my usual practice in the evening with the jam band.

It's just about music, fun and friendship in my eyes... It seems too many people I've played with think they're gonna 'make it' when I can see they'll probably pay for an ep/album that no one buys, spam facebook with their band stuff and retire after one too many open mic nights. I'm a realist and I put the work in to be as good as I can, which might not even matter all said and done. It's a journey and it's fun.

Last band I was in the bassist would have the same grumpy face I could only wear to work. It's harder to be excited about the music when you've got someone like that in the band.

For me, happiness isn't the same as looking forward to something. I do like to always have
something "out there" to be excited about. It makes life more fun! When I make others happy, then I'm happy. There's a song about this "Make Someone Happy".

I'm happy just to have the talent to be able to play drums decently these days. It's the one thing that's always made me feel larger than life. As far as making any sort of career out of it, yeah, that ship sailed out about 12 years ago. I'd like to start gigging again some day, but when I do it will be all about the fun and friendship, even if we only play 1 gig per year.

Well, I guess it's just me then. There's a point where a band can play too many gigs. that's when it just becomes routine and the gigs don't make me excited to play. I like just a few here and there, especially if I'm essentially playing for free.

Maybe this thread isn't that interesting to most of you, but I was just taking note of the morale in one band versus the other. I think the occasional gig is good for a band, but too many freebies don't make me happy.

Oh, I'm sorry. This thread isn't about shiny new gear and silly questions about gear adjustments. I'm just not one of you.

See you guys later.

Last edited:
I get it!

And I also happen to think that having stuff to look forward to is a part of human happiness. It's the positive side of aspiration.

I'm in a band that aspires to mediocrity. Nobody is giving up any day jobs. Not any time soon, not ever. But damn it's fun!

Back