What is your drum setup pet peeve?

Salty Dog

Have you ever seen a drum setup and thought oh god that looks awful?
I personally cannot stand suspended Floor toms and heavily angled toms.

Not a fan of playing two racks mounted to the bass. Seems like most backline kits are set up this way too.
Agreed. For some reason I can't work out, the standard 5 piece configuration just doesn't feel right to me. Positionally, I find almost all double tom bracket bass drum mounts to be restrictive in terms of positioning, so that probably doesn't help.

On the other side of the fence, pet peeve is drummers who haven't got a clue how to tune their instrument, or any appreciation of appropriate tuning for the situation. Disappointingly, that's 90%+ of drummers out there in my experience :(

Not a fan of 2 toms on the bass either.
BUT a bigger peeve or request, is for some company to simplify the break down/compaction of the high hat stand for easy transport.
There has to be a better way than undoing the tube, unscrewing the rod ...etc.

Crazy tom angles, suspended floor toms, cymbals at extreme angles on stands set really high, drum throne too low, bass drum or hi hat stand moving out of place as you play.

I thought you meant "Your" drum setup, as in your own kit. Ha, plenty.

With others kits its the huge step down to the floor tom on kits with a BD mounted tom, on anything bigger than a 20" BD.

There's many things that I would personally find uncomfortable that I can mostly just chalk up to personal preferences, but the two things that really kill me are:

Snare drum positioned so that there is no possible way the drummer could ever hit a rimshot. Maybe I just like rimshots too much, but I don't know why anybody would want to limit themselves like that.

Cymbals set up overhead. Not really referring to the Bozzio style where he angles them so that they're playable and more task-specific anyway, but that sort of pop-punk things where crashes are mounted way up high on straight stands and kept flat so that the edges are the only part that could ever be hit.

I always cringe when I see a rack tom in a basket low and to the side of the kick with about 3 feet between it and the floor tom. Add a ride cymbal right between them and I'm just standing there scratching my head.

I guess it's cool for the dude set up that way, but I could never get comfortable on a kit with toms separated that much. Don't really see the point not being able to move between them.

I dont gave a problem wigh mounted toms on the bass drum but hanging floor toms bother me.. Many pros play two toms mounted on the bass drum. If its good enough for them.......

Dear lord... how long has this been a thing?

I think the phrase "this is my competitive advantage" has just entered my everyday lexicon.

Those cymbal... trees look downright deadly.

I actually think he'd work pretty well in a band like Steel Panther or Gwar. It's just part of the atmosphere.

People trying to cram too many toms or toms that are too large between the high hat and bass drum so that the hi-hat is so far to the left you can't comfortably reach it.

That, and second floor tom setups where it is more "behind them" than it is "to the side of them"

Pearl L-arm tom mounts done incorrectly, causing the rack toms to look like Mickey Mouse ears a half-mile apart.

Extreme tom angles at seated eye level.

Hi-hat and kick pedals at 90-degree angles to each other.

You know, basically what you see on Craigslist, except someone actually plays like that.

Pearl L-arm tom mounts done incorrectly, causing the rack toms to look like Mickey Mouse ears a half-mile apart.

Extreme tom angles at seated eye level.

Hi-hat and kick pedals at 90-degree angles to each other.

You know, basically what you see on Craigslist, except someone actually plays like that.

Yes Alparrot dead on in regards to the Pearl L-arm tom mounts.

Back