What Other Instruments Do You Guys Play? ( Besides Drums)

I taught myself guitar 5 years ago. I am still learning.....sigh.

Always liked that song. I tried to pick up guitar for years but could never get past the difficulties of playing clean barre chords and generally sore fingers. Drums is a much gentler instrument to play IMO :)

Sore fingers? You need to practice more! I got over it by stringing my guitars with very heavy strings. That sorted that quickly, albeit painfully.

I played piano for 1 year as a child, then played trombone for 6 years (marching, concert, and stage bands). I have a cello in the corner of my music room reminding me I'm supposed to be learning to play it.

How do you have time to play all those other instruments, everybody? I imagine you can only be so good on the others. It's possible to play equally well on more than one instrument, but kind of hard to do once your an adult.

If any of you've read The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell you'll know that it takes 10,000 hours of perfect practice to master a musical instrument. That's 3 hours a day spread over 10 years.

On a side note, I occasionally watch Leonard Cohen - Live in London that I have recorded on DVR. A band member named Dino Soldo really impressed me and confused me also at times... because I'd keep seeing him play a different instrument in each song and sometimes in the same song! Now if Cohen hired him, he must be extremely well at all these instruments he's playing (saxophone, harmonica, keyboards). He played some other instrument as well, and apparently plays guitar.. and probably others.

I play guitar, bass, some keyboards, theremin, little tiny bits of erhu, irish whistle, probably others that I'll remember later. Digeridoo.

This is my cover of Holy Diver, with me playing all the instruments.

I taught myself guitar starting in Oct 2005. I regret my parents not forcing me to learn piano!!!

I play alto saxophone as well

i am getting back into synths. analogue synths, soft synths, all sorts. i'm also fiddling around with effects to see what kind of sounds i can pull out of them, in real time. many folks wouldn't consider this music. that's fine. they can say "soundscapes" if this makes them feel better. i'm having fun. you should try!

Im with you. I am going to buy Music From Outer Space modules, since they are cheap compared to others. Creating analog synths is fun.

I have messed around with Bass and Electric guitars for years. Keyboards, a bit less, though.

For the person complaining of sore finger playing barre chords - buy a decent electric guitar with a low action and learn on it, even a Squire ought to do. Slap a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s on it . Your finger muscles and calouses will develop without all the pain. Cheap acoustics are absolutely the worst guitars to learn on. Their actions are way too high and the strings are thicker gauges. They are torturous to play barre chords on.

Back