Drum Sound Recommendations

Up4TheDownStroke

Hi guys,

I'm going into the studio in a couple of months and am looking for a bit of direction for my drum sound.

The band plays guitar/alternative type music with the main inspirations being Radiohead/Talk Talk/Interpol but I love a lot of old RnB and Soul music so alot of my fills take from these styles and we as a group focus on groove a lot.

I know that's quite a mix but if you have any recommendations of Albums which have great drum sounds in these sorts of styles I would be hugely greatful.

Thanks!
Simon.

Just remember to change your heads a day or 2 before the sessions. Listen to the engineer in terms of any needed muffling as microphones hear differently than human ears and play to the best of your ability. It's not really that different than any other playing situation. Dont stress it. You have your drum sound already, it's in your hands. Let the guys in the studio do their job which is to capture it as accurately as possible.

Much of the sound you will get will be dictated by the recording and post-production.

I suggest trying to get the best sound from your drums per your acoustic ear.

That will give the engies the best source to work with.

I cant quote a good album for reference as the difference between what you hear from the recording and what you would have heard if actually there in the booth is far to wide in possibility.

Back