Headphone Amplifiers, Good ones that are modestly priced.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Looking for recommendations on headphone amps that are in the $50 to $200 USD price range
I use Vic Firth headphones and I currently use my old TV surround sound amp to boost the stereo line out from my mixer.
I want something smaller that can input 4 headsets.

Thanks in advance.

I have a crappy 8 channel Behringer, they suck don't buy one. The one channel completely blew for no good reason. So now I can only use 4 headphones. Last time I looked there weren't a lot of options, I am interested in one myself.

I use several headphone distribution amps such as the Symetrix SX 204 and 304 along with the Presonus HP60 and HP4. The Symetrix 304 is just a more current model of the 204. They all have 4 stereo channels except for the HP60 which is 6. Each channel is individually controlled by its own pot. They all sound great, but if you need maximum gain, depending on the impedance and sensitivity of your headsets, the Presonus would be the ones to use, although I use my Symetrix at my kits and they have plenty of gain. The Presonus HP4 costs about $130 USD new. The Symetrix units costs anywhere between $75 and $150 on Ebay. There are also some less expensive units made by ART, but I've never used them and so I can't really recommend them.

Dennis

There are also some less expensive units made by ART, but I've never used them and so I can't really recommend them.
Dennis

I wish I could remember which ART box I tried that I liked and almost bought, but I can't. I ended up getting something similar, and it has never been a problem.

Rolls RA53. I don't think they make it, but they make an RA53B, which looks like it's got 1/8" jacks as well.

Attachments

• rolls.jpg
    rolls.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 304
Rolls makes a variety of headphone amps to fit every budget.

I bought my Rolls head phone amp way back in the 90's and never has a problem with it, despite dragging it around to numerous gigs.

Thanks all, I have been looking at many of the amps that have been mentioned.
Having both 1/8 and 1/4 plugs is a good idea. I think that I will go with an amp that has both size jacks.
I will make my decision soon and I will post when I do.

We use one called an "HP-4" I think... Presonus if I remember correctly. It works well. 4 channels each with it's own volume.

I received the Rolls HA43 Pro today.
It works great.
Inexpensive too.
It is plenty loud enough and it only makes hiss noise if you slide it up beyond the listening comfort level.
Good headphone amp for the money.

Back