DVD For Learning Jazz Drumming (Suggestions)?

dfairley

I have "The Master Drummer" (J Riley) on DVD, and while it is a great DVD, I find myself looking to see if I can find at least one more good DVD which aims to teach Jazz drumming "fundamentals" (ex:. - common rhythm patterns, stickings, grooves, etc.).

Any suggestions?

The best book out there to give you a great grounding is John Rileys book ' The art of Bop'

Covers everything from comping phrases (jazz equivalent of grooves) solo phrases, brushes, uptempo playing. Has a great suggested listening guide and its packed with loads of advice.

Best $18.63 you will spend on it.

Dave

Thanks Dave; however, as indicated in the title and decription, I am looking for some suggestions with regards to the DVD format (as opposed to the printed medium).

Cheers

I know but john rileys dvd is the best and you already have that.

His book however is the best dvd/book available.

If you dont already have a good grasp of jazz any dvd (i have most of them) out there isnt anywhere as good or beneficial to your playing as this book.

Dave

I have "The Master Drummer" (J Riley) on DVD, and while it is a great DVD, I find myself looking to see if I can find at least one more good DVD which aims to teach Jazz drumming "fundamentals" (ex:. - common rhythm patterns, stickings, grooves, etc.).

Any suggestions?

I seriously don't know if you can do any better DVD - wise than Riley's The Master Drummer. I guess you could get his books if you don't already have them. And just listen to A LOT of jazz. Better than books and DVDs.

I'm not a jazz drummer but I have the John Riley dvd too and it is really cool.

Antonio Sanchez' dvd is also worthwhile.

I have quite a few jazz DVDs:

- John Riley's Master Drummer

- Peter Erskine's "Everything I Know..." and the old Timekeeping ones.

- Ed Thigpen's Essence of Brushes

- Clayton Cameron's Brushworks

- Steve Smith's Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Drumset Technique

- Steve Smith/Adam Nussbaum's Art of Playing Brushes

and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

John Riley's Master Drummer is by far the best one of all of them.

To get started with brushes, I like Florian-Alexandru Zorn "The complete guide to playing brushes". It offers a general modern approach, easy to follow, a well described book with basics videoclips on the techniques. Efficient but not exhaustive.

Tommy Igoe has 2 DVD on "Essential Grooves" that cover a lot of jazz, latin, etc.

I just ordered Master Drummer and "Jazz Brushes for the Modern Drummer" by Ulysses Owens, I'll tell you about it in time.

This guy also has a course, he's amazing, check him out: https://maxsansalonedrums.com/video-lessons

I currently use the Jazz Drumming System by Mike Michalkow from Drumeo, I think he is a great teacher, the content is accessible for the beginner. Unfortunately it's not available for sale anymore.

I like his system because it's accessible to a beginner and it comes with videos, each exercise has a video. The structure of the book is simple, nothing crazy for a beginner.

I am speaking from my point of view where I have no teacher to interpret things for me. I instantly think about the brush section in the Art of bop drumming which I struggle quite a bit with. I wish that section came with videos.

I am looking for the Latin Drumming system myself which is also discontinued..

To get started with brushes, I like Florian-Alexandru Zorn "The complete guide to playing brushes". It offers a general modern approach, easy to follow, a well described book with basics videoclips on the techniques. Efficient but not exhaustive.

Tommy Igoe has 2 DVD on "Essential Grooves" that cover a lot of jazz, latin, etc.

I just ordered Master Drummer and "Jazz Brushes for the Modern Drummer" by Ulysses Owens, I'll tell you about it in time.

This guy also has a course, he's amazing, check him out: https://maxsansalonedrums.com/video-lessons

Glad to know about this suggestion, Ulysses Owens Jr. is a great Jazz drummer, I might it order it for myself (;

Back