Who should I choose (drum lessons)

Adam Bourque

Hey, my name is Adam. I am 15, I have had local drum lessons for about 5Months. I learned the basics, but then I decided to move on. (he was a beginner teacher)

Now I have 2 choices.

1.) A Drummer in a band, doesn't read music; instead listening and watching. My type of music, and on the plus side he is a really cool guy.
Work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETSWS1tBm8&feature=related
20$ Per 1Hour

2.) A music store 25 Miles away. Experienced drummers, there are a list of them on the website with details.
Work: http://www.drumcenteroflexington.com/lessons.html (If So which person looks the best? I want to learn new stuff, but I like Metal;D)
20$ Per 30Minutes

Thanks, -Adam

I think it would be best to use one of the teachers at Drum Center of Lexington. But I can't recommend just one because they all sound like excellent teachers. So I recommend talking to each teacher in person (it's worth it even though it's 25 miles away) to get a feel for who would be the best to help you achieve your personal goals.

I do understand that it can be best to get a teacher who plays the style you want to be best at (especially when they only charge $20 per hour), but what if these 4 teachers at Drum Center of Lexington can teach you how to sight-read? Not being able to read music is like not being able to read the language you speak. So that would certainly be significantly superior.

I think it would be best to use one of the teachers at Drum Center of Lexington. But I can't recommend just one because they all sound like excellent teachers. So I recommend talking to each teacher in person (it's worth it even though it's 25 miles away) to get a feel for who would be the best to help you achieve your personal goals.

I do understand that it can be best to get a teacher who plays the style you want to be best at (especially when they only charge $20 per hour), but what if these 4 teachers at Drum Center of Lexington can teach you how to sight-read? Not being able to read music is like not being able to read the language you speak. So that would certainly be significantly superior.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I also want to learn Traditional, which would be a good reason to go there as well.

Why would you want to learn from someone who doesn't fully understand the instrument himself? That would be like taking a class on American literature and finding out that your teacher can't read - just listened to books on tape.

What if you brought in an article from Modern Drummer magazine or a drum book with a transcription? Would you really want your teacher to not be able to read it?

There is the debate about reading music when it comes to playing. But when it comes to teaching, I see no debate at all. Teaching means passing along information. If someone does not understand the basic written note values, can he/she really be called a teacher?

Jeff

The guys at the store look just fine- it would be worth the long drive for a teacher who knows what he's doing. It doesn't matter if they play metal or not- as a beginner you will have a lot of general stuff to learn before you get down to learning a style, and any competent teacher can help you learn metal without being expert at it himself.

Drum Center of Lexington KY would be a better choice. Reading music can help you in so many ways! Who knows, a Gig may ask you to read the music! Be a better drummer by learning as much as you can!
-Ex Nihilo

Back